Floor protection and pattern for inline trailer

https://www.costco.com/motofloor-modular-garage-flooring-tiles-48-square-feet-per-box-1'-x-1'-tiles.product.100009181.html
I'm currently installing garage floor tiles that I found at Costco. I have seen other trailers done with these & I really liked how it looks. My Trailer is a 7x19 14' box + 5' V-nose Look Avalanche, I use it has a multi-sport trailer as I haul motorcycles during the "off" season.
I have in-floor tie downs that I simply used a hole-saw to cut out to retain access to the D-rings. I'm going with a silver & black checker board pattern. I'm trying to have it done before Christmas, currently waiting on another box of tiles to arrive. I will post pictures when it's completed.
imageService
That stuff looks nice too, but I wonder about the possibility of trapping moisture? Is there breathability? And is is thick enough for studs? How much did you spend (how many boxes did you need for 19'?)

Tuck

not the best pictures but the first ones found. the tile is only 1/2 inch thick so not sure about studs since I do not run them. the Mrs. sled has the ice gripper track and it does fine. unless your studs are longer than the paddles I would think it would work. May have to have a buddy run his sled in there this winter with studs. I did use stainless screws in certain areas to keep the floor in place and on the ramps. Cost I recall was very close to what a caliber system of my liking would have been. I wont throw out a total cost until I look it up tonight for accuracy.

I went with a large check pattern with a center strip and color on the edges of ramps. Trailer has D rings so I just cut holes in the flooring around them.

The only issue I have so far is when you park hot sleds or get a warm up I can get melt that freezes overnight and leaves little mounds of ice embedded in the flooring.

skegs will leave some marks on the floor I have noticed after 4 seasons with it.

Attachments

• 1103181713.jpg
    1103181713.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1104181227.jpg
    1104181227.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 1104181648.jpg
    1104181648.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 1104181649.jpg
    1104181649.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1114181826.jpg
    1114181826.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 31

ICT Sledder

Bought a three place inline Legend over the summer, and haven’t done anything yet, but I’m doing caliber stuff on both ramps with the plastic garage floor tiles (the mesh ones that drain) on the floor itself. I don’t see the point of the caliber stuff on the floor itself, plus the garage tiles are far cheaper and a far cleaner look. That plus two rows of aluminum L Track for infinitely-adjustable tie downs.

Bought a three place inline Legend over the summer, and haven’t done anything yet, but I’m doing caliber stuff on both ramps with the plastic garage floor tiles (the mesh ones that drain) on the floor itself. I don’t see the point of the caliber stuff on the floor itself, plus the garage tiles are far cheaper and a far cleaner look. That plus two rows of aluminum L Track for infinitely-adjustable tie downs.
Where did you get the garage floor tiles? I was at a local dealership last night and they also push the Caliber stuff (actually went to their website and used the customizer while I was sitting there.) The more I look at it, although nice, I feel it may be too much (look wise) with everything suggested with their customization feature on their website. I like your idea of doing both ramps in it and having other stuff on the inside.

ICT Sledder

Where did you get the garage floor tiles? I was at a local dealership last night and they also push the Caliber stuff (actually went to their website and used the customizer while I was sitting there.) The more I look at it, although nice, I feel it may be too much (look wise) with everything suggested with their customization feature on their website. I like your idea of doing both ramps in it and having other stuff on the inside.
I don’t have any of it yet. Just my plan.

If I had to buy the tile material at this very moment I suppose I’d run over to the Costco website and get it there. Caliber stuff you buy through Caliber (stating the obvious I guess), and the L Track is generic stuff you can buy any number of places.

The Caliber products on the main floor of a staggered narrow inline with the drive on front ramp just makes for a very expensive, and honestly kinda silly looking, discombobulated mess of this and that.

mrbb

caliber products can be bought all over in many places, besides directly from them, ebay, amazon, and countless ion line shops and even local dealers carry and sell there products just like any other brand product, its not a exclusive deal to have to buy from them directly!

lofsfire

caliber products can be bought all over in many places, besides directly from them, ebay, amazon, and countless ion line shops and even local dealers carry and sell there products just like any other brand product, its not a exclusive deal to have to buy from them directly!
I'll add to this, the prices can fluctuate by just a little to a lot even with the same seller. When I bought mine, I bought most of it through Amazon. Some listings were through Amazon some through 3rd party dealers. Buying the biggest pack was "normally" the most cost-effective route but I did find some cases where buying two smaller packages equaling the same linear feet was the best bang for your buck.

Oh, I did not cover every square inch of my trailer basically just down the center. I really like the full title squares Tuck did above. I've thought about pulling mine out and going this route a few times.

mrbb

HAHA< I'll also add, that if you attend any of the larger snowmobile show's ,(or even some of the smaller one's, the show here in PA< has them on sale every yr) you normally find caliber products and even off brand one's like them, on sale at shows, for a BIG savings over standard pricing
and a few of the shows I have bene too had things in BIG sizes, where you couldn;t get to buy else where without big shipoping cgarges for over sized shipping
so , if you plans things right, and go to a good snowmobile show, you can normally find a great way to set up a trailer for a savings

I have not been to hay days in a long time, but I gather that place would have deals on like products

I like the look of the bigger tiles and garage door set ups, but all of the folks I know that have gone down that road, , never use studs,
and many of them remove them every yr to clean under them,(same with folks I know that use Horse stall mats)
if I was to go that route I'd maybe make sure I used a good wood sealer first, or maybe even or 2-3 coats!

Tuck

I did seal the floor with deck paint prior to install of the tiles. what dirt I get under the tile the old Stihl blower does just fine to remove it. I would not recommend a muddy quad or sxs from my experience with it. Been 4 seasons so far and have not removed it to clean. One thing I like is how easily you can push/pull a sled forward/backward/sideways on this stuff. Again I do not run studs only 2 sleds with ice gripper track. yep the wife has 2 sleds and I only 1 currently, wow that kind of stung to admit here lol

ICT Sledder

If you’re screwing anything down to the trailer deck - be that Caliber stuff, track mats, horse stall mats, plastic garage tile, whatever - then if you are so inclined you need to uninstall ALL of each year (or given period) so that it can dry out. No one is doing that, but if that’s your thing then there isn’t some magical type of evaporation that occurs under Caliber stuff that doesn’t occur with horse stall mat or plastic garage tiles.

I mean out of all the stuff folks use for trailer floor protection the mesh/gridded plastic garage tile material will literally breathe the best.

ezra

Screw it all. use it for 3 yrs as is . after it is at full depreciation sell it with scratches on the floor for what you paid for it and do it again .
You won't get chit for the accessories you toss in to any trailer

mrbb

If you’re screwing anything down to the trailer deck - be that Caliber stuff, track mats, horse stall mats, plastic garage tile, whatever - then if you are so inclined you need to uninstall ALL of each year (or given period) so that it can dry out. No one is doing that, but if that’s your thing then there isn’t some magical type of evaporation that occurs under Caliber stuff that doesn’t occur with horse stall mat or plastic garage tiles.

I mean out of all the stuff folks use for trailer floor protection the mesh/gridded plastic garage tile material will literally breathe the best.
well I agree its never a bad idea to remove and clean

BUT there is a HUGE difference between caliber products and horse stall mats and such
the caliber stuff is vented under it, so it does breath and it is designed to have movement in it, that allows for air flow and things to dry, as well as for things to have room to contract and expand as temps, change the wood its attached too
where as horse stall mats don;'t allow this at all

and another things , things like caliber products do, that horse stall mats and any solid mat for that matter is
as snow and ice melts turns to water and re freezes,
the caliber products are again designed to allow for some movements with them being lifted up off the deck from water under them!

I have seen mats lump up in heaps as snow melts and gets under it and re freezes!
no bash here just saying

there is a big difference between horse stall mats and mats inn general than caliber type products
pro's and con's to both!

ragex2

I used vented 'outdoor sports' tiles for our legend 7 x 23. i ordered 150 tiles from www.rubberflooringinc.com and had a few left for spares. time consuming cutting and fitting but it turned out very nice. had trim pieces bent from aluminum tread plate at local fab shop. you wouldn't want to spin the track with studs as it would dig it up. New fresh carbides leave marks but not much after they round off a bit. i used caliber products on both ramps. it is good stuff but yes price adds up fast. overall i would do it again. good luck with your project. IMG_20201108_121227072 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

wiviperman

That stuff looks nice too, but I wonder about the possibility of trapping moisture? Is there breathability? And is is thick enough for studs? How much did you spend (how many boxes did you need for 19'?)
I feel like the trapping of moisture will not be a problem, as the tiles interlock very well & the bottom of the tiles have "ribs" for support, so it's not a solid flat surface. (Time will tell if I'm right on that) The tiles are 1/2" thick and a solid yet smooth with some slide to them consistency and from what I have read...the guys that have already installed these say the carbides and studs do not effect them much.

When I originally purchased my first 3 boxes, they were $99 per box for 48 FT. per box. My math was off a bit with the additional cuts needed for 1 whole side of the trailer (6 complete tiles across and then a small cut tile on the other wall) as my trailer does have finished walls and the cuts for the V-Nose of the trailer.

I have an additional 2 boxes on the way to ensure I have enough for both the front & rear ramp doors with obviously some tiles left over. The 2 boxes I have on the way were $149 per box.

Tuck

my tile is not solid, there are small squares that are open to the deck below. All I do after a trip is open the doors up if weather is nice enough or pull it into the shop for a few days and put a fan on the floor either way for some air movement and it all dries out just fine

lofsfire