For all you loud can proponents

latner

Dec. 21, 2018

Contact: Ron Yesney, 906-228-6561 or John Pepin, 906-226-1352

DNR urges snowmobilers to ditch loud exhaust pipes and cans
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is urging snowmobilers not to use loud exhaust pipes or cans and is reminding riders that laws against loud machine violations will be enforced strictly.

“We are continuing to get numerous complaints from the public about loud sleds,” said Ron Yesney, Upper Peninsula trails coordinator for the DNR’s Parks and Recreation Division in Marquette. “We’re looking to riders to help us curb this ongoing problem.”

Several of these complaints have led to private property owners revoking their permission to route snowmobile trails across their land.

“This diminishes our trail connectivity and decreases riding opportunities for everyone,” said John Pepin, DNR deputy public information officer. “In areas without trails, loud sleds are still a source of resident complaints.”

Under Michigan law, the muffler on a snowmobile must be in good working order and, when in constant operation, noise emission cannot exceed 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567 for a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980.

The penalty for violating sound levels for snowmobiles is a civil infraction, carrying fines of over $200. Snowmobiles may be impounded.

“Enforcement efforts are necessary, but our long-term goal is to gain voluntary compliance from riders,” Yesney said. “Mountain, trail and race cans are strongly discouraged. Loud sleds give snowmobilers a bad name and give those opposed to motorized sports a voice.”

DNR conservation officers are seeing increased use of “trail can” exhausts.

“These are cans that are designed to pass a decibel test, but they are still very loud and undermine our efforts to secure trail easements and provide opportunities for snowmobilers to ride,” said Lt. Ryan Aho, a district law supervisor in Marquette. “Most trail cans will pass a decibel test if new, but may fail after a few thousand miles.”

Whether riding on or off trails, the DNR urges snowmobilers and dealers to use stock or original equipment manufacturer exhausts.

“Many thousands of hours of volunteer effort go into developing and maintaining Michigan’s snowmobile program,” Yesney said. “It only takes one sled with a loud exhaust to ruin riding opportunities for many.”

Hand in hand with complaints about loud sled violations are private property trespass complaints. The DNR suggests off-trail riders “know before they go” making sure the property they will be riding on is public.

“Riders who decide to trespass compromise the goodwill landowners have extended to the DNR, snowmobilers and trail groups and sponsors,” Yesney said. “Trespassing is another serious problem that oftentimes leads to landowner permissions being pulled and our being forced to shut down trail segments as a result.”

A committee was formed recently to develop information indicating exactly where it is legal to ride off-trail. The goal is to eventually have off-trail riding opportunities signed and mapped. Until these developments occur, it is crucial that snowmobilers ensure they are off-trail riding only on public lands.

“Whether snowmobiling on trails or off, we all need to work together for the greater good to prevent trespassing and loud sled violations from occurring,” Yesney said. “Taking loud cans or pipes off your sled and staying on the trail helps everyone.”

For more information on snowmobiling in Michigan, including current laws and regulations, go to michigan.gov/snowmobiling.

Alot of re-routes have occurred already, but the entitled don't care, and won't care until it is too late. DNR has been told many times that trail checkpoints and hefty fines are the best way to gain attention. The best times for those checkpoints occur from 4pm to 2am. One officer explained it as booze grows courage, and with that being said, a DUI added to a Decibal infraction tied to an auto license will definitely be enough to jog the memory for most sledders. The bean counters keep track of complaints, and we all know, if it generates big enough revenue, the Sheriff and DNR entities are gonna work them hours to their benefit. The best way to be singles out is to draw attention to yourself!!

mrbb

I wonder if they maybe did a trade in option,it might help??
like they do for illegal/legal l guns/firearms LOL
I think there more annoying than anything and not for me

but I doubt anyone that is spending $$ buying one is going to remove it, they all seem to know ahead of time there ILLEGAL and or not wanted and don't care mind sets
they roll the dice on fines and DON"T get how there ruining the sport due to trails getting closed, as so many trails run thru private lands that can be closed and well then what??
is the extra few HP and noise really worth the end costs ??
if one wants to race, get on a track and have at it!

other side of coin is we were all young and dumb at some point, so I some what do see there side of things, but its not like yrs back where things were not so sensitive and PC minded, and you got away with more

a few bad apples will ruin it always for the many! and no one really wants to be the bad guy and turn anyone in?

no real answer here, as even higher fines don't get us back closed trails?

and doubt that would stop many from adding them sadly!
maybe need more DCNR check points and offer bonuses for workers for every fine they write LOL

I gather that would get more out there doing check points! LOL
not much motivates like money does!

latner

13'

- - - Updated - - -

Placing the snowmobile in a designated test area (no objects within a 16-foot radius of the snowmobile).
Placing the sound meter 4 feet above the ground and 13 feet 1.5 inches from the centerline of the machine, on the same side as the exhaust.
The operator, while holding the brake, increasing engine speed until the tachometer reaches 4,000 RPMs +/- 250, and then keeping at that speed for four seconds.
Repeating the test once.
Averaging the two test readings to produce the final result.

ezra

Why do the idiots make these parts available. Manufacturer should be fines as well.

yeah and the booze corps should all get a fine when some one gets a dui and no car should go over 75 mph if they do the manufacture should pay the speeding tix .

POLARISDAN

yeah and the booze corps should all get a fine when some one gets a dui and no car should go over 75 mph if they do the manufacture should pay the speeding tix .

ha..funny bro..yea..get cans drive thu houghton..tons of fun..prob tonka too nowadays..hahahah

buddah2

13'

- - - Updated - - -

Placing the snowmobile in a designated test area (no objects within a 16-foot radius of the snowmobile).
Placing the sound meter 4 feet above the ground and 13 feet 1.5 inches from the centerline of the machine, on the same side as the exhaust.
The operator, while holding the brake, increasing engine speed until the tachometer reaches 4,000 RPMs +/- 250, and then keeping at that speed for four seconds.
Repeating the test once.
Averaging the two test readings to produce the final result.

I don't know if they've ever addressed this issue or not but those of us with 4 stroke sleds would be driving away at considerably less than 4000 rpm....unless those pipsqueaks want to hold the a$$ end of this heavy SOB off the ground for me.....I sure as H*** ain't doing it...

G

G

I don't know if they've ever addressed this issue or not but those of us with 4 stroke sleds would be driving away at considerably less than 4000 rpm....unless those pipsqueaks want to hold the a$$ end of this heavy SOB off the ground for me.....I sure as H*** ain't doing it...

Yes you are doing it. You hold your brake for 4 seconds at 4000 rpms. Two times. Sure fire way to flat spot your expensive belt. Then you could demand the DNR buy you a new belt. They will just give you a cold stare and motion for you to proceed. Whomever thought this little drill up does not know or does not care about snowmobiles. But it is not the DNR's fault. It is the people that put cans on in the first place that have caused this test to even happen. And these people do not care. If a trail gets shut down it does not matter to them. They will just go and be irresponsible somewhere else. If all the trails get shut down they will just find a new hobby to be irresponsible at.

buddah2

Screw THAT....I run the Gates carbon fiber belts at $140 per.....guess they better be a good enough rider to catch me then and I mean out in some SERIOUS boonies.....(only 1/2 joking)

Last edited:

buddah2

Before you get the wrong idea....yes, I do have an aftermarket muffler on my sled....and no, it is not loud....it would pass the decibel test EASILY (we've already checked it with a decibel meter and a stand)....but I am NOT going to ruin a $140 belt just so some numb-nuts fish pig can get his jollies off thinking "Gee, look what I can make him do".........

wirev

Before you get the wrong idea....yes, I do have an aftermarket muffler on my sled....and no, it is not loud....it would pass the decibel test EASILY (we've already checked it with a decibel meter and a stand)....but I am NOT going to ruin a $140 belt just so some numb-nuts fish pig can get his jollies off thinking "Gee, look what I can make him do".........

I'm in the same boat. Mine has been checked and is all legal. Only reason I got it was to lose wt on the 1200. 19#'s, and now trying to check on more wt loss to get her down to 2 stroke wt. Have explored a couple of options but the $$$$ don't fit.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member

What's a fishpig?

- - - Updated - - -

Screw THAT....I run the Gates carbon fiber belts at $140 per.....guess they better be a good enough rider to catch me then and I mean out in some SERIOUS boonies.....(only 1/2 joking)

Don't worry, I'll help them find ya!