For those wanting an electric sled

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting!

I think we are looking at the future here. I am not saying next season or all sleds, but 10 years from now, I would not be surprised to see 50% of the sales going towards something like this. Technology is only getting better, so they will get even lighter, faster and longer running.

-John

uncle_ed

I know electric cars are "snappy" so I could see where it might still be fun to ride. It would solve the "loud pipes" closing trails and the endless sea and sno debates!

ICT Sledder

A lot of inefficiency, drag, and parasitic energy loss with getting a sled’s power to the ground, so unless “a day’s ride” goes from an average of 125 or 150 miles (or whatever) down to 20 miles, it’s going to take a while for batteries to get there from an output-weight perspective. My own take, which is worth as much as you paid for it.

A 20 mile range would probably work fine for all the mountain poseurs, though. Paint it a highlighter color, give away a matching onesie riding suit with purchase, and they’d sell like hot cakes. Might need to figure out how to make it obnoxiously loud first however, which isn’t the strong suit for electric anything.

uncle_ed

Hard to give up the braaap that we associate with sledding but just as the european car companies are starting to switch to electric I could see where this technology might have a place here somewhere. If they had a quick change battery pack you could go play in the mountains and come back to the lodge for a battery swap like your cordless drill and head back out for another rip!!

I would definitely test ride one to see what its all about thats for sure...

snobuilder

I think we all should get on one and then shove our green agenda up the Hollywood/San Franciscan/Pelosi/leftist asses so deep they couldn't then continue to find it OK to spew aviation fuel directly into the upper atmosphere as they jet across the planet spreading their highminded dogooderism..

Last edited:

ezra

if one had insane mode like a tesla I can see having one just for lake drags .I could not believe how fast the tesla was crazy acceleration . and the zero ds bike I test drove was just as fast as any rocket I have been on to the 85mph I had it to . very odd sensation doing it with out the rpms screaming as a q to know what was going on .

DamageInc

We need a huge leap in battery technology before an electric sled becomes viable. Many of us have grown accustomed to riding hundreds of miles in a day, and we are not even remotely close to having battery technology that will allow that range at a reasonable weight. Incremental improvements in Li ion are not going be enough; we need a technological breakthrough in battery chemistry. Until that happens, electric sleds will be expensive yard toys.

euphoric1

AGREED!... No Thanks, I wont deny its amazing how battery technology has progressed so much in such a short time it seems but..... That track noise just on the video.... no thanks Me...I would rather listen to the sweet noise of a two stroke engine running at 8000 rpm any day than no engine noise at all other than the low tone hum of the track. I'm sure this will be the trend in the on coming years especially with the powers that be unfortunately ( C.A.R.B and EPA ) but not this guy until you have no choice. To each his own and I will admit... neat but No Thanks
No thanks.

beakjones

Hard to give up the braaap

Even current gas cars supplement the engine noise through active acoustics... Have some speakers around the cluster in these and you could have all sorts of fun engine sounds. Plus pointing it at the driver would keep the overall sound levels low.

T

Tracker

We need a huge leap in battery technology before an electric sled becomes viable. Many of us have grown accustomed to riding hundreds of miles in a day, and we are not even remotely close to having battery technology that will allow that range at a reasonable weight. Incremental improvements in Li ion are not going be enough; we need a technological breakthrough in battery chemistry. Until that happens, electric sleds will be expensive yard toys.

um....its already here....should be on market in a few years...provided a company does not buy the patent and then shelve the idea like so many others...click link below also to see fiskar 9 minute charge for 700 miles at 700HP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IchK6EVUbKY

journeyman

I know electric cars are "snappy" so I could see where it might still be fun to ride. It would solve the "loud pipes" closing trails and the endless sea and sno debates!

As my profile says I live around one of the more spendy suburbs in the MPLS area near a popular lake. That draws in the folks that make lots of $$. Needless to say I have seen countless Tesla cars and know a couple folks that own them. Snappy isn't the word....extremely fast/quick is a better way to put it. Lots of cool technology in those cars. Check out the many youtube videos of them racing some pretty fast cars. I agree, this will likely spread over to other motorsports in another 10 years or so.

xcr440

I think we all should get on one and then shove our green agenda up the Hollywood/San Franciscan/Pelosi/leftist asses so deep they couldn't then continue to find it OK to spew aviation fuel directly into the upper atmosphere as they jet across the planet spreading their highminded dogooderism..

LOL Isn't this the truth!

I'm with the guys that enjoy the sound and smell of the 2-stroke motor. So this may not be in my particular riding future, but my kid may have the electric option in his lifetime become a reality.

There's just something about turning dinosaurs into explosions that is so satisfying......

DamageInc

um....its already here....should be on market in a few years...provided a company does not buy the patent and then shelve the idea like so many others...click link below also to see fiskar 9 minute charge for 700 miles at 700HP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IchK6EVUbKY

Ummm, that's an enhancement of current Lithium technology, not a revolutionary new battery chemistry. It's not going to give 5 times the range of current batteries that would be needed to be viable for most riders. Did you even watch your own video?

Not to mention that I've been seeing claims of huge leaps in batter tech for 20 years, and none of them ever pan out. We've seen lots of incremental improvement, but never a huge leap. Here we are still using the same Li ion tech that we used 20 years ago.