Ford Diesel Engines

snofish

I'm in the market for an F250/350 Ford Diesel to haul my toys; say 1998-2005 vintage. Not owning a diesel before, wondering if there are any Ford Engine models that should be avoided due to problems or poor performance. Thanks!

slimcake

If you can find a 7.3 turbo powerstroke that is the motor to have. I had one with a 18ft roll back box on it hauling and towing big heavy farm machinery and put 275,000 miles on it and the only repair ever done was a clutch at 135,000 miles (besides wear items) but nothing ever on the motor. Not a water pump, alternator nothing!! Pretty incredable. I have a Case IH and New Holland farm store. There is a ford dealer right next to me and he says he has a waiting list for trade in trucks that have the 7.3 turbo. That says a lot!! My 7.3 was a 1998 f-super duty. Great truck. In 06 I ordered a new f-550 to replace it and within 60,000 miles it has broke down/laid me up 4 times. Love the new truck but the 6.0 turbo is not nearly as reliable. I here the 6.4 is even worse. I could go on for hours on the ford motors but bottom line- get the 7.3 turbo powerstroke!!

so8434

I have a 08' F350 with the 6.4 and I love it. Not one problem in 40,000 miles... Why are these so bad?

dab102999

I know a lot of people that haul horses and quite a few that haul tractors and farm machinery and pretty much the concensus with them is the 7.3. Make sure to get one with the intercooler. I think they started them in 96 but can't be sure about that. I currently have a GM 6.9 and haven't had any trouble with it. I really wanted a Ford when I bought but couldn't find one for the price I could afford.

mark_e_hastings

Snofish, if you have never owned a diesel before you probably wont notice the difference in the 6.0 and 6.4 engines over the 7.3. The 7.3 drives like a traditional diesel, it has great low end torque response and all you have to do is tip into the throttle and it starts pulling. The newer 6.0 and 6.4 engines are more like a gas motor in driving, you have to tip in a little harder to get the power, but the top end it makes more power and supposedly does better on fuel. I don't know what year it started but you want to stay away from the ones with the particle filter exhausts, they get worse milage, and are not as easy to hop up. If you look at the exhaust tipes the ones with the particle filters have a heat shield around the tip.

bellracing2

all of our 6.0 and 6.4 have been nothing but headaches ! multiple trips to the dealer for warranty on ele. fuel inj problems , computer issues , injector issues , and oil leaks . all ours are well under 100k , BUT our trucks idle ALOT ! possibly the problem , but why would you build a truck that can't idle for extended periods of time ? our trucks also use diesel and biodiesel , could also be the problem as when the 6.0 first came out the biodiesel was eating the tanks liner and sending it through the fuel system . and at first ford told us to pi$$ off , and after a few ph. calls to corporate ford they all were covered !

snofish

All very helpful info; thanks guys!
Can you offer any input on fuel mileage; non-towing and say pulling a 4-place enclosed snomo trailer?
Thanks!

dab102999

fuel mileage is a loaded question for sure. The big thing there is 3/4 or 1 ton and gear ratio. A 3/4 with the right gear ratio will get way better then any one ton. A one ton dually will be a lot more stable but you will notice a bit more side pull when you get in some heavy snow.

mark_e_hastings

I don't know what the milage on a ford is, but it is diffinetly related to the gear ratio. I drive a ram with a cummins and a friend of mine has the identicle truck but I have a 4.10 ratio and he has a 3.73. I only get 16 highway empty and he gets 22. I don't have a towing comparison because we have never towed the same trailer for reference. But I would immagine it would be from 12 to 14 towing a 4 place enclosed.

lx700kev

Working at a Ford store I can tell you that we have had our share of issues with the 6.0 and a few 6.4s. However I can also say that Ford has learned ALOT about some of the causes of these issues. First, use Motorcraft diesel motor oil. Some different brands can and do break down prematurely which can cause high pressure pump issues as well as a host of other things I could mention but I'm not going to take the time to write 16 pages on here right now. KEEP THE OIL CHANGED REGULARLY. If you idle alot change the oil every 200 hours and nevermind how many miles are on the oil. OIL QUALITY IS CRITICAL. Biodiesel fuel is another MAJOR problem...even more so in the winter.Too much bio will take out injectors big time. These engines are designed to run on up to 5 to 7% bio. Most places are 10-15 and even 20% bio. Keep the filters changed and use additives in cold weather. A LARGE percentage of these issues can be avoided by being aware of this stuff.

bellracing2

thats the problem , we have to use what the company buys for fuel , and they idle alot when the booms are in use . really no way around it for us . worse case scenario , lots of idling and biodiesel ! have you ever used the ford meathod for working on the engine and take off the cab ? I was at a class and the ford rep said thats the procedure for engine work ? is that true ?

lx700kev

Yup, remove the cab to work on the heads. Our guys can have a cab off in about an hour and a half. It makes engine work or head work super simple. Just walk up to it and work. Your not all cramped up laying across the radiator.

lotoftoys

We also have had multiple issues with 6.0 in a 2005. On a cold snap we lost #3 injector and two days later lost compression. The motors are not reliable but the truck is great.As far as cab off for head work that is true. However you need a way to lift it off. Not everybody has that luxury.You can remove the motor by removing the grill and front end;then pull the turbo and computer off the top' pull the pan and oil pickup and out it comes. We finally got fed up and installed a 12V cummins in the truck.Not quite the raw HP but 24 MPG and reliable.

dondoo

I have a 2003 F-250 and had the normal Ford problems with it. Computer went out, Ford covered it. The high pressure oil pump went out (which runs your fuel system) Ford covered it. Other than that just one set of brakes and one new set of tires, keep the oil changed and a spit shine every now and then. So all in all no real complants on the 6.0 motor. I have 103,000 miles on it now. I get about 17-18 mpg normal driving and around 10-11 mpg pulling a 4-place enclosed with the hammer down. With the family in the truck and pulling a 30 foot fifth wheel I will get as much as 14 mpg with it.
As for the 7.3, it was a good motor for me also but with my foot in it pretty hard she blew the head off the driver side at 169,000 miles.
Also have a 2006 F-350 flat bed for work with a 6.0 in it with 204,000 miles on it. This truck is always loaded heavy and a bobcat and trailer behind it. 10 mpg , and it gets run hard every day with no problems yet.

GOOD LUCK with your truck serch.

kevisip

Darn computers, mine went out to. But Ford covered it. It cost $1042. for it. Glad it was still withing warranty, that would have cut into the beer fund. I have a 2002 F350.

nytro_rtx

i have a 03 f250 w/ 7.3 and it has been a great truck & the moter has been awesome. got a banks 150 hp big hoss chip with a 6 gun tuner stacked on that. it has 150,000 miles on it and has had the banks stuff on it since about 50,000 and had a diablo sport programmer on it before that. had the oil pump seals replaced twice and the tranny done @ about 100,000 miles and that is all.i pull used to pull a 28 ft. travel trailer almost every weekend, pull 4 plc enclosed trailers, and everything else. doesn't run out of power and still gets 18+/- on the road empty and about 13-14 pullin.

dondoo

nytro rxt,
I have a buddy that tuned his 03 F-250 7.3 up and blew his tranny within the first month. I myself want to put a tune on my 03 6.0 but dont want to screw anything up. It seems to be running good right now. Besides I have other plans for my allowance that mama gives me. New sled, tires for the four wheeler, 1956 F100, Trip out west, Bigger shed, well you get the idea. the plans are endless..

doo