Gardens..

timo

How's everyone's garden?
Been a great year here in SE Wis. Plenty of rain not to hot. I have the best patch of green beans I've ever had. They are so tasty nothing like green beans outta the garden! Just picked 6 Walmart bags of lettuce, that's a lot of BLT's and salads. Got about 20 green tomato's on two plants. Cucumber's are growing good, and so is the Zucchini. Made four loaves of Zucchini bread. Was delicious.

jr37

We started canning green beans this week. Also have had some cucumbers for refridgerator pickles. Been eating fresh peas, we don't have much of them. Spinach has been good for a couple weeks already.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked one bag of beans and then the rabbits ate the tops off the plants in one night. Looks like they might come back, the plants that is, not them damn rabbits...
Cucumbers and Peppers are great, tomatoes are plentiful and the onions are numerous.
Starting to get dry here, my rain barrels are empty and the lawns are about to go dormant. I'll be watering the garden by later this week.

ezra

had cucumbers in oil and vinegar tonight for the first time this season
sat had my fav fresh green beans fried in bacon grease with lemon and pepper squeezed on top.
2nd yr I have some kind of disses issues with tomato's

Woodtic

Only did pumpkins this year. There are a few that are already the size of soccer balls. I'm not sure how we are going to get them out of the back yard in October.

Here is a great organic deer repellent recipe I have used in the past:

Organic Deer Repellent Recipe

Mix in a blender:
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/3 cup Tabasco sauce
1/3 cup liquid dishwashing soap

Pour into a gallon tank sprayer and fill with water.
Spray thoroughly once a week.

HH

bearrassler

Had a late start this year and it has been cool and wet so the garden is a little behind. I have been getting cucumbers and some grape tomatoes so far and they have been great. Had a few Zucchinis and some salad mix also. I have peppers about ready to pick and my onions and carrots will stay in the ground a while longer. Even with the late start I think it will be a great year.

samc

Here is a great organic deer repellent recipe I have used in the past:

Organic Deer Repellent Recipe

Mix in a blender:
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/3 cup Tabasco sauce
1/3 cup liquid dishwashing soap

Pour into a gallon tank sprayer and fill with water.
Spray thoroughly once a week.

HH

Any recommendations for repelling rabbits other than the pellet gun?

jr37

We got a little start. 12 quarts of beans canned and about 2 gallons of fridg pickles. The Jalapenos are hot this year. The tomato plants are huge, but we have blight on some of them, so we'll see with them. The corn is short, but starting to tassle already.

MZEMS2

1st crop of beans are canned, and the 2nd crop is coming up now. Onions are looking good. Tomatoes are doing ok, I've seen better years. Just piled straw under 'em today. Seems to be some sort of blight this year. Peas were a flop for some reason. They're more work than it's worth though. Peppers are looking good. Should make for some good salsa.

m8man

My garden is struggling... I planted on D day which my gramps always said to wait till..

I was toooo lazy and didn't get it fertilized this year. I was to worried about tilling it as I got a late start this year (tilling).

the cukes and beans didn't even come up. I replanted them both, and now the beans are going crazy but the cukes aren't working much.

I do have a good run of tomatoes, Zuchini plants are huge but no Zukes yet.

I have planted: Tomatoes, mint, Red onions, celery, Zuchini, beans, carrots, jalapenos, sunflowers, peas. Lets hope.

go garden go

m8man

Bradzoo

I got both Cherry and Grape tomato's getting ripe, big tomato's still green, peppers, jalapeno's, salsa and chili's are ready for picking, the chili's are the hottest I've ever had.

Bradzoo

ezra

I have been having this flock of crows coming in and picking cucumbers and pecking holes and eating the inside and they have been pecking holes in the pumpkins

Go Fast or Go Home

I'm to lazy to plant a garden. All my friends plant huge garden then bring me all kinds vegetables all picked, cleaned, and ready to eat because they planted to much.

In fact I think I'll go have a Bacon-Lettuce and Tomato sandwich right now...................................................

mezz

Like many here, it was a slow start due to the cooler temps, I did plant on June 8th, here is what it looks like as of August 8th MISC PICS 2 007.jpg MISC PICS 2 013.jpg The 6 Beefsteak tomato plants are like bushes & are loaded with fruit as well as flowers, we'll see how they fair out. I have green & red bell peppers, jalapeno, chili, tobasco & habaneros, garlic, white onion, red onion, carrots, green beans, cilantro, & cucumbers. Looking forward to a good harvest & some home made salsa!-Mezz