GM buy back truck

shift08

Im looking at a new used truck , its a GM buy back truck . What does anyone know about this ? How much less are these type of vehicles worth compared to a truck with a clean title ? I guess these are not considered salvage titles but are still branded . Wondering if i want to trade in a few years if it will be worth close to a truck with a non branded title ?

Thanks

ezra

great plan buy a lemon law truck. the reason most manufactures buy a vehicle back is it was such a pile it was cheaper to buy it back and re dump with out a warranty than keep fixing it.
or by law it had enough major issues in a certain amount of time by law they had to buy it back.
I only know 2 guys in the pat 10 yrs who have gotten there trucks bought back and u could not pay me to drive them 1 ford eco boost that spent way more time in the shop than on the road in 3 mo he owned it I think he drove it less than 20 days.
and 1 guy had a z71 for a yr and it had so many issues in 1 yr they gave him a new truck

shift08

According to the dealer this one was bought back for a number 1 and number 7 plug replace and a intake gasket . Doesnt seem like enough reason to buy back ? And still has full bumper to bumper warranty with no deductable for 12 month 12,000 miles . It is a 2010 silverado with 25,000 miles on it .

ezra

your dice but I don't see a oem buying back a 4 yr old truck for 150 in coil packs or 6 bucks in plugs and under 600 dealer cost for a manifold gasket job.
the guys I know had to fight tooth and nail to get oem to buy back and they had legit issues.
heck I know a guy who had to have the body lifted on his van 3 times for major motor work in 2 yrs on a new chev 2500 and they would not buy back .then dealer tried to F him on trade in because the vank had known issues. he is now driving a Mercedes sprinter as the work van and loves it .I am leaning that way for my next truck .these guys are getting 23 with extended bed and high top

ezra

have u taken the vin off the truck and brought it to a diff GM service department to get a service history? it should all be in the service history.
heck a lot of dealers now days report all service to car fax even oil changes .I looked up my wife's benz a few mo ago and saw they even had the $100 wiperblades they bent her over for on the car fax report.
just when I had forgotten about that one it brought it all back

J Smith

Run away! I bought a buyback 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 7000 miles. I paid it off before warranty was up. Every year major components failed and I thought I'll just fix because it's better than car payments. Everything was replaced on this car except for the transmission. Mostly on my dime after warranty was expired. I ended up having almost as much money into it as I paid for it by the time I sold it!

jmvette427

just wondering how it could be a 4 yr old buy back? normally lemon law/ buy backs are within 1st year . loss of vehicle for 30 days or 3 repair attempts in 12/12000 miles . i dont think it can be a factory buy back, maybe dealer customer satisfaction, but i think there is more to the story. buyer beware . jim

ezra

Run away! I bought a buyback 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 7000 miles. I paid it off before warranty was up. Every year major components failed and I thought I'll just fix because it's better than car payments. Everything was replaced on this car except for the transmission. Mostly on my dime after warranty was expired. I ended up having almost as much money into it as I paid for it by the time I sold it!
the only shocking part of this story is the mopar tranny lasted beyond shocking really

fastwilly

sounds like one that has the rings bad needs new pistons and rings under warranty and lifters had a problem with those it's one that the cylinders drop off for MPG you need to look into the history of this like EZRA said . then have them fix it and warranty it . is this a 5.3 engine 1500 Silverado 6 speed trans . good luck.

chunk06

sounds like one that has the rings bad needs new pistons and rings under warranty and lifters had a problem with those it's one that the cylinders drop off for MPG you need to look into the history of this like EZRA said . then have them fix it and warranty it . is this a 5.3 engine 1500 Silverado 6 speed trans . good luck.

This is probably what was wrong.... Lot's of knocking GM motors out there. And instead of a new engine like they should, GM has the mechanics try to fix it, and they usually still knock or use oil. No of 2 silverados and a Monte that went through this.

ezra

prob is having them fix it is way harder than it sounds. my old pos 06z71 burnt a qt every 3000miwith in the first 10kmi then eventually a qt every 1000 mi and they would not do squat that is with in GM spec I guess

shift08

Yes it is a 5.3 with the 6 speed trans . The dealer selling this truck is a gm dealer and has multiple gm buy backs on there lot . I have requested the carfax / auto check records . Will c what the black and white says !

ezra

what kind of money are we talking for this thing ?
they best be giving u one heck of a great price for the dice u have to roll.
I don't buy fully loaded trucks but I do get a new one every 3 or 4 yrs.
just the basic power packages with tow .I usually find it close to some times cheaper to buy new non current after rebates etc .I always find my self buying in the fall u know for the upcoming tow season and feeling ghetto rich from the summer season . the new yr trucks are on the lots then usually 10g off sticker that time of yr. if any left in spring they really start to deal.

garyl62

No idea where you are or what the details of the truck are but that does not seem like a deal to me. Don't believe the Blue Book and do some looking around. I went to Auto Trader selected 2010-2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a limit of $28k and 30k on the miles. There were 42 trucks that met that criteria within a 50 mile radius of Rockford, IL. Here is a link to the first truck that came up. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...[CHEV[CHEV150[]][]]&listingId=368381190&Log=0 That whole search took me less than a minute to do so look into for your area.

With that many out there I'd stay away from the buy back.

ezra

U can get a new stx ext cab 4x4 5.0 with alloys running boards power windows locks sync etc for that and a non current xlt fot real close to that in fall.xlt upgrades u to center counsel back up cam and tinted glass tow break. at lest last yr u could
I got heated driver for 300 I don't really care if my passenger has a cold ars

eao

Yes it is a 5.3 with the 6 speed trans . The dealer selling this truck is a gm dealer and has multiple gm buy backs on there lot . I have requested the carfax / auto check records . Will c what the black and white says !

It probably was purchased by the dealer at auction. When the OEM buys it back its brought to an auction. The dealer then (probably in another state) buys them on the cheap but must disclose its a buy back.

srt20

Truck retails for $ 34,000 on blue book .They are selling for $ 27,990 .

That's an ok price at best for a NON-buy back truck. I wouldn't even glance at a buy back truck at that price. If it was in the teens, I'd maybe look at it.

G

G

If it only has 25 K on it after just about 5 years it was either owned by your classic little old lady or it spent a lot of time in the shop. I will sell you my 12 Ford FX4 with30 K on it in December for similar money when the new aluminum job comes out. My FX4 has had no issues whatsoever.