Good beef

14snow

Does anyone know where I can get some good beef from a local farm?I am in the Chicagoland area but I will drive some distance for good beef.

rmk4ever

The Grainery in Antioch Il. has great beef. He swears no growth hormones and all natural diet. The beef is much tender than store beef. About an hour drive north from the city. http://local.yahoo.com/info-17129559-grainery-meat-company-antioch

I have to agree with the Grainery in Antioch IL, Good stuff there there also was a place in Hampshire I think right next to the laborer's union that had out standing Beef & pork, however the name escapes me now (it's been 10 yrs ):) Sorry It's in Marengo IL not Hampshire IL. Cat woman sounds promising now though.

Last edited:

Cat Woman

My family raises beef cattle and we are 1.5 hours west of downtown Chicago. BUT we don't have anything ready til April. Give me a shout if you are ever interested in the future. Good luck nothin like good (and healthy) beef :)

headons in creston illinois just off rt 38 about 10 miles west of dekalb has the best beef , chicken and pork in northern illinois by far, and awsome prices too just ask for lance he will take good care of you............www.headons.com

todds

I've been buying my beef from a local farmer for the past two years and there is nothing like it. The roasts are tender and flavorful, the ground is lean and the steaks are simply to die for. He raises them on grass and finishes them on corn. I buy a quarter and place the cutting order myself. My friend is in Pleasant Prairie, but like Cat Woman, his beef is ready when it's ready, not on your schedule. You have to plan ahead and you need to buy at least a quarter from him.

I'd be happy to email his phone number if you're interested. Not sure when he'll have beef next or if he has any available.

sledder66

Dang Cat Woman - I got ya beat by a least a couple dozen more times on the grill already this year since Jan. 1 2011! :)

anonomoose

I did that ONCE!

Ended up eating beef every night. It was good, but dang....you eat too much of it...there goes the savings.

Now I find the worst stuff I can buy and....you would be amazed on how little beef you need to buy doin it that way. Here fishy fishy......