Great River State Trail on 12/23/07

fcat700

Here in West Central Wisconsin we have about 12" of fresh powder. Took the wife and boy for a ride.

62253.jpg

62254.jpg

62255.jpg

62256.jpg

62257.jpg

62258.jpg

62259.jpg

62260.jpg

kylew

i have a cougar 550 just like that one. I like it but am saving up for a new sled. probly like a f7 or
M8 153

fcat700

I sold my 1995 Cougar 550 this fall. Last spring I bought the 2006 F7 (new carry over)that is in the pic. The Cougar is a nice sled but you will like the new suspention. This is my sons first year so he gets that 1996 Cougar and my wife and daughter drive the Panther 440.

Nice Pics fcat700!!! I picked up the new Rev XP and taking a 1/2 day on Thursday. Any suggestions on where to go? I am unloading in Midway and wanted to run up toward Black River. Just wondering if you ventured off the Great Rivers at all. Please let me know. Thanks.

fcat700

beancounter1: I run allover the area, I like the ridge top trails, tight corners and steep hills but full of wildlife and good views. I would go north on the bike trail about a mile or so then turn right onto 36. Goes through Holmen. Follow it to Stevenstown. Then there are options, how far to you plan to ride?

Here is what I was planning. Midway north through Holmen up to Stevenstown. Stevenstown to Mindoro, Mindoro to Bangor, and then take the Great Rivers to the turn off to Barre Mills. From there back track to the GR, and then back through Onalaska with a stop at the Nutbush and then back to MC's in Midway. Any ideas on mileage? Sled has 0 miles on it and would like to get some decent riding before I head to Michigan in a few weeks. Thanks for the input. We just moved to Holmen, and have never ridden down here.

fcat700

My son and I did that trip two weeks ago. About 65 miles. Are you going to get off the bike trail in Barre Mills and then retrace back or just stay on the bike trail past the turn off?
Also on Monday I rode north out of Bangor and that trail takes you down by the Black River just on the outside of town, WET,WET,WET. The Black must have backed up and flooded that area. We made it but be careful. I'm not sure if there is another way around, none that I know of, maybe Paul K. will read this and can comment. Lots of blacktop through Onalaska, not cool. The ride from Mindoro to Burn has some of the coolest trails, Olson's Cultch is as steep and narrow as you would want, beautiful. Sounds like a good time.

Another nice trip is north on the Bike Trail to Trempealeau then Galesville to Etrick over to North Bend and back to Holmen, thats around 75 miles. North Bend as a couple local bars with grills. You can't go wrong on any of these trail. Remember Onalaska trail closes at 10 or 10:30p.m.

Maybe I should stay away from the area north of Bangor. I was trying to figure a loop but from Mindoro through Burns down to Bangor looks to be my only route. I really don't feel like getting wet!!! Ok, if I head to Tremp on the bike trail, how far do I go before I hit the trail to Galesville and Ettrick? Is this marked well? Could just be one of those days I just get on and ride. Thanks for the heads up in Onalaska. I saw they scrape it pretty bare over by the nutbush. Wife will be with, so should probably start out easy for the first ride of the year. I will post pictures after the ride. Thanks

fcat700

I would say north would be a little safer. The trail is well marked. You go through Tremp then across some fields to Galesville. From Galesville it is a combo of wooded hills and fields. Do you have a Trempealeau and Jackson County map?

rocky367

Just found out this afternoon that the trail through the LaCrosse river swamp in Bangor is closed and you will need to ride the streets. Trail is closed due to the fact that two sleds went through last evening, seems that the warm weather last weekend along with the rain has weakened the ice. I'm thinking of taking my sled out for a longer run this Friday and then I'll know more on trail status.

Scott, Welcome to the area! Hope you enjoy our trails, not quite as many as across the borders of the county but some nice trails with scenery in the area.

fcat700

Paul K.: We rode through the swamp on Monday and I thought my wife was going sink but she made it, I didn't know it was that deep. I think we need some real cold weather to freeze it up.

rocky367

Yeah, the sleds I guess were pretty buried. I had heard it was froze up nice, but I'm betting with all the rain and thaw coming into the river to the east and maybe an ice jam to the west would be to blame for the weak ice. Do know that I won't be ice fishing on Neshonic until I know we've had some cold for a while.

That is the plan for tomorrow. I will take some pics of the trip and the new ride. I really appreciate all the information you have given me.

Decided to head to Tremp, Galesville, Ettrick, Beaches Corners, North Bend, and back to Midway. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I will post pics when I get back and figure out how to do it.