Great trip up nor… I mean down south!

indy_500

Had a great extended weekend down in northwestern Dane, and southwestern Columbia counties! We stayed on the east side of Lodi at Quality Inn right off the interstate. Right next to a gas station, trail runs right to it. Put on about 200 miles in 2.5 days. Little limited how far we can ride as we had the little man with, 70-80 miles is a usually a good day with him and the woman. Even hauled down a sled for my sister (who lives in portage) to ride on Saturday. Trails were downright phenomenal Friday, 9.5/10. Saturday was great as well, with heavy traffic things were loosening up later on in the day with a few whooped corners, I would still say 8/10 overall. Next to zero snirt or bare spots. Many of my pics are in plowed fields and you can’t even tell! Rode Lodi, prairie du sac, Sauk city, mazomanie, black earth, waunakee, dane, Springfield, Roxbury, Arlington areas. Trail quality aside, the reason I went down there was for the SCENERY! Absolutely beautiful area, makes me very jealous that I live in such a flat boring area of Wisconsin. Hope to dig a little farther southwest at some point in my lifetime. Enjoy some pics!
IMG_9923.jpeg IMG_6868.jpeg IMG_6867.jpeg IMG_6865.jpeg IMG_6856.jpeg IMG_6857.jpeg IMG_6855.jpeg IMG_6853.jpeg IMG_6848.jpeg
IMG_6866.jpeg

pclark

Had a great extended weekend down in northwestern Dane, and southwestern Columbia counties! We stayed on the east side of Lodi at Quality Inn right off the interstate. Right next to a gas station, trail runs right to it. Put on about 200 miles in 2.5 days. Little limited how far we can ride as we had the little man with, 70-80 miles is a usually a good day with him and the woman. Even hauled down a sled for my sister (who lives in portage) to ride on Saturday. Trails were downright phenomenal Friday, 9.5/10. Saturday was great as well, with heavy traffic things were loosening up later on in the day with a few whooped corners, I would still say 8/10 overall. Next to zero snirt or bare spots. Many of my pics are in plowed fields and you can’t even tell! Rode Lodi, prairie du sac, Sauk city, mazomanie, black earth, waunakee, dane, Springfield, Roxbury, Arlington areas. Trail quality aside, the reason I went down there was for the SCENERY! Absolutely beautiful area, makes me very jealous that I live in such a flat boring area of Wisconsin. Hope to dig a little farther southwest at some point in my lifetime. Enjoy some pics!
View attachment 69496 View attachment 69497 View attachment 69498 View attachment 69499 View attachment 69500 View attachment 69501 View attachment 69502 View attachment 69503 View attachment 69495
View attachment 69504
Beautiful pictures, nice trip!

SledTL

IMG_2051.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg
IMG_1519.jpeg
Can confirm Southern Wisconsin was a great time! Started in New Lisbon with a group of guys from our snowmobile club in the Twin Cities. Rode around Castle Rock Lake as well as made a loop out to the southwest down to Hillsboro through Lavalle, and then came up through the dells and Mauston area. Got thinner as you went north, but great scenery and lots of big hills and bluffs. A bit of traffic made things snirty in the woods, but honestly not too bad and plenty of paved highways like my last picture. 200 miles in a day and a half was good for me!

old abe

Yep indy, that area and westward, is one of our favorite riding spots. We have always enjoyed the western half of Sconny best due to the scenery, and the varying trails. It appears you have completely converted over to Doo's now? Please keep the pics coming!

tnehlsen

Sauk, Vernon, Richland counties are great to ride with the terrain and the trail systems. My parents are just outside of LaValle/Wonewoc and try to ride there when they have the snow. Great pics!

1fujifilm

Yep indy, that area and westward, is one of our favorite riding spots. We have always enjoyed the western half of Sconny best due to the scenery, and the varying trails. It appears you have completely converted over to Doo's now? Please keep the pics coming!
What about Poo's,
Took a 24 850 out of inventory for a few days..trails between Green Bay and Nichols, Ripon, Wrightstown and South were great 428 miles in 2 days.
Was supposed to ride with Polaris Dan but I got a toothache. Fellow rider said Mass City was a bit thin anyway, sad how conditions are reversed. One good thing is I rode from my home..no trailer.

Attachments

• 20240117_161442.jpg
    20240117_161442.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24

old abe

What about Poo's,
Took a 24 850 out of inventory for a few days..trails between Green Bay and Nichols, Ripon, Wrightstown and South were great 428 miles in 2 days.
Was supposed to ride with Polaris Dan but I got a toothache. Fellow rider said Mass City was a bit thin anyway, sad how conditions are reversed. One good thing is I rode from my home..no trailer.
Hmmmm, traitor, eh! LMAO

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a great area to ride when there is snow! Take it from someone who has put thousands of miles on in the area! 👍

xcr440

Drove down to Portage yesterday and threw down a couple hundred south and west through many areas Indy had over the weekend from the sounds of it - only a couple dozen sleds all day and a fair amount of grooming being done. Too bad they shut most of it down this morning. Probably about it for riding for the foreseeable future.

legend02

We rode from Walworth County West last Sunday trails were groomed in some counties and others. They weren’t. We got a little over 100 miles in.

Attachments

• IMG_7366.jpeg
    IMG_7366.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7367.jpeg
    IMG_7367.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 30

wisco-mb

Nice you guys got down this way!! Especially with it really only being the good snow in the midwest. Fun while it lasted...
Crazy you can see the power plant from miles away. I believe that will be shutdown within a year or two. That second to last picture Indy took is just outside Lodi.
I got my final ride in yesterday. Put on 200 miles yesterday and only saw 4 sleds. Started at my house north of Portage, and went down to Cross Plains.
Columbia county had some snirt showing in the morning. A little bit in Northern Dane, but overall pretty good. Good portion of the moisture was pushed out, so the scratchers were on. Once we got down by Roxburry, the snow was really coming down! You could hardly see.
It made a perfect ending. Too bad it took 20" of snow within a couple days and arctic air to keep it together. Based on the forecast, we start over... And might be it.

Attachments

• Snapchat-34294094.jpg
    Snapchat-34294094.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240123_132706067.jpg
    IMG_20240123_132706067.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240123_132702707.jpg
    IMG_20240123_132702707.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240123_112238197.jpg
    IMG_20240123_112238197.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

MKW

Dropped in on the north side of Portage yesterday late morning. Rode to Pardeville then Cambria for lunch (love the Dump bar)..down thru Rio Wyocena then to Lodi stoped at KD’s. Back north to Poinette back to Potage and finished up at Coopers north of Portage. First time out this year on 24 Boost. Only did 140 but riding nonetheless..first time in my 50 years I’ve went south to ride. I have a farm in Endeavor but I’m mainly down for hunting. Great trail system..too bad it’s like once in forever they have enough snow to open. Was a great day though..last year at this time I had 1800 miles on..this year 140. And looking at the forecast that may be it 🤦‍♂️

wisco-mb

Dropped in on the north side of Portage yesterday late morning. Rode to Pardeville then Cambria for lunch (love the Dump bar)..down thru Rio Wyocena then to Lodi stoped at KD’s. Back north to Poinette back to Potage and finished up at Coopers north of Portage. First time out this year on 24 Boost. Only did 140 but riding nonetheless..first time in my 50 years I’ve went south to ride. I have a farm in Endeavor but I’m mainly down for hunting. Great trail system..too bad it’s like once in forever they have enough snow to open. Was a great day though..last year at this time I had 1800 miles on..this year 140. And looking at the forecast that may be it 🤦‍♂️
I've ate at the Dump twice since trails opened. Fast and excellent food!
You drove past my house on the trail. I live 1/4 mile down from Coopers. I saw 2 sleds go past around 7ish. Possibly you!