Greenland Area

boomding

I rode 13 from Greenland to Bergland this past Friday (and two weeks ago as well), and both times it was money. Whatever issues you're reading about seem to have been resolved--it's a great ride!

D

Deleted member 10829

mspease

From your post, it appears that you rode the L'anse/Big Bay trail. I haven't been on that in a few years, but want to ride it next Monday or Tuesday. My plan was to go Rousseau/Sturgeon River Gorge/L'anse/Big Bay. Any tips on the route from Greenland? Do you know if Arvon Rd to Huron Bay is still OK?

Thanks in advance for any info. Happy Trails, Glenn

dogflog,

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm in Indianapolis on business. I did the same route from Bergland to avoid the rail grade on trail 8. Trails were great. I'm not sure on Arvon Road, never took that. Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I rode 13 from Greenland to Bergland this past Friday (and two weeks ago as well), and both times it was money. Whatever issues you're reading about seem to have been resolved--it's a great ride!

Agreed!! :)

L

lenny

why am i constantly seeing bad reports on 13 rockland to bergland whats the problem up there

if one guy rode it sat afternoon and it was getting rough that's what he is going post. People rarely post good condition unless asked or they post their weekend experience. I personally look at the totality of the trail for the week as every day is important and set us up for the next day. Trail 13 from Greenland through Rockland toward bergland is what we consider a high traffic trail. It's a nice wooded trail with varying terrain which makes it desirable, even some trail along power lines. It's highly traveled like the 3 railroad grade but not quite as much. Still the trail often cannot support the quantity of sleds just like rail grade 3. Trail 3 rail grade by Twin Lakes to Toivola gets rough. Does it get rough because we do not groom it or because the traffic is heavy? The answer is the traffic is heavy. Most of us would rather ride a wooded twisty sort of trail compared to a grade, not all but most. This year we have been lucky and have a 3rd groomer machine compared to last year having only 2 and a major breakdown on one machine.

I had some renters last week driving 9 hrs to may place and she heard on FB that trails were not good so she called me and asked. I told her 2 weeks prior we hadn't got much snow in 10 days and trails had been getting rough because of recycled snow that doesn't not set well but we had now been getting snow and the trails were a 8 out of 10 or very good condition.

Bottom line, trails vary so don't believe that what was reported today will be the same tomorrow.

harvest1121

I did ride 13 on Saturday and Monday it was great. Met some people at Pats and they were not going to take 13 because of what they read. I rode with them to Bergland and the trail was great.

dogflog

Thanks for the detailed analysis, Lenny. You're a pro. As I get older, I appreciate the grooming even more. It allows me to focus and appreciate the beauty of the surroundings, rather than negotiating bumps. I've also learned to be ready to vary my planned route for the day based on conditions. I'd much rather ride a remote smooth loop trail than "race" to a distant location on the most direct route. Avoiding weekend riding is a huge advantage, if you can do it. Snowmobiling is more about riding and scenery than it is achieving a destination.

Happy Trails All, Glenn

L

lenny

Thanks for the detailed analysis, Lenny. You're a pro. As I get older, I appreciate the grooming even more. It allows me to focus and appreciate the beauty of the surroundings, rather than negotiating bumps. I've also learned to be ready to vary my planned route for the day based on conditions. I'd much rather ride a remote smooth loop trail than "race" to a distant location on the most direct route. Avoiding weekend riding is a huge advantage, if you can do it. Snowmobiling is more about riding and scenery than it is achieving a destination.

Happy Trails All, Glenn

I agree brother, When I ride with my wife we go 40 and are just happy to enjoy the outdoors. I do understand the younger riders and have no problem with them riding aggressively, I just stay out of the way. It's funny how we change as we get older!

L

lenny

looks like I spoke a little to soon. I just get back from riding 13 half way to Bergland and notice the trail is rougher than I expected. On the way back I stop in the groomer shed and check the log book and find that I was the last one to groom it last Sun,,,,WTH. I never got a call or was told it hadn't been groomed and man does it tick me off. This is the friggen problem you have when you have a volunteer group. Guys come and go as they please because the can. Now I have to alter my evening and go groom till 3am, and work tomorrow still than go again on my reg route Thurs. You guys have every right to be pissed because our guys are dropping the ball and I'm not afraid to tell the world about it. Hopefully I can get fired over it,,,that would be a load off my back. Oh wait,,,I cannot get fired, I've never been hired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kraven700

looks like I spoke a little to soon. I just get back from riding 13 half way to Bergland and notice the trail is rougher than I expected. On the way back I stop in the groomer shed and check the log book and find that I was the last one to groom it last Sun,,,,WTH. I never got a call or was told it hadn't been groomed and man does it tick me off. This is the friggen problem you have when you have a volunteer group. Guys come and go as they please because the can. Now I have to alter my evening and go groom till 3am, and work tomorrow still than go again on my reg route Thurs. You guys have every right to be pissed because our guys are dropping the ball and I'm not afraid to tell the world about it. Hopefully I can get fired over it,,,that would be a load off my back. Oh wait,,,I cannot get fired, I've never been hired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS for your efforts !!!!!

ranlam

Good help is hard to find. Us over at north country have been lucky with a dedicated group of guys. Lenny if i was little closer i would lend a hand, being that grooming is all i wanna do lately.

L

lenny

Good help is hard to find. Us over at north country have been lucky with a dedicated group of guys. Lenny if i was little closer i would lend a hand, being that grooming is all i wanna do lately.

thanks guys, much appredciated!!!! Ranlam, are you guys volunteer also ?

attack_06

Lenny what's the off trail conditions looking like from you on up to twin lakes hopefully this cold and snow comes back for a couple weeks to hold what's still there

L

lenny

if it stopped melting now and snowed some we could be good but honestly, I havn't even been out and better yet even thought of the snow. There is still snow in the woods and logging roads and one could ride but we need cold