Groomer or Grooming issue north of Mosquito

sMgE46M

I heard Biden is thinking about banning semis from the roads because they are too heavy and damage the roads and it causes the road crews to repave them too often
This one had me literally LOL

OP - just curious if you stopped at bug bar lots of long tracks/deep lugs? Staying your hotel curious as well what you saw? Just curious
Was the trail flat in the morning and then poor in the evening? (looking for more timing of this).
Multiple days bad?
Certain days bad? 27th? 28th? 29th?

Last edited:

ICT Sledder

I heard Biden is thinking about banning semis from the roads because they are too heavy and damage the roads and it causes the road crews to repave them too often
Call a civil engineer - I'm sure you have one somewhere in your social circle, I have a couple - and ask them if the wear and lifespan impact of a 80K lb semi is different than a 4K lb passenger car or 7K lb light truck on a roadbed. I could point out that the composition of your driveway differs from an interstate by an order of magnitude, but I'm not sure if that helps.

Some of you must have struggled a great deal in high school physics.

Tuck

so the comments about long track and lugs are all pretty negative in the above posts. There has been no mention of the folks who spin the track after every stop or slow down. look at the entry and exit of any bridge or stop sign. It all comes down to respect of how you choose to use the throttle and were. No mention of the studs and what they tear up. What does more damage a 1.75 lug or a 1.25 lug with 100 studs?

ICT Sledder

This one had me literally LOL - think someone did chime in -> sure charge by lug depth (good luck enforcing it like you do cans)

so were going to blame lug depth and those dang hooligan mountain riding flatlanders... Got it. Next topic to complain about them with?

I'll take "Sled Wraps Fitting of an LGBT Parade" for $500, on the "GLAAD Things" section of the board, Alex.

See, I didn't even mention the correlation obnoxiously between loud cans and long-track sleds, because it's kind of like saying fish like water.

ICT Sledder

so the comments about long track and lugs are all pretty negative in the above posts. There has been no mention of the folks who spin the track after every stop or slow down. look at the entry and exit of any bridge or stop sign. It all comes down to respect of how you choose to use the throttle and were. No mention of the studs and what they tear up. What does more damage a 1.75 lug or a 1.25 lug with 100 studs?
Would a big sawmill blade with 1.75" teeth, or one with 1.25" teeth, remove more material per revolution?

goofy600

They do pay more to register there trucks than cars do because of that exact reason!

ICT Sledder

you forgot backpacks and go pros....

physics or dynamics... 🤷‍♂️
We shouldn't need to be debating physics if you've owned an E46 M3 with the SMG tranny. You should have a lifetime of lessons already. Painful, expensive, and terrible drivability lessons.

ICT Sledder

Nope it was a great car thanks for asking :)
Well there's at least one checkmark for that response option to the question. A small pool of people indeed with that take. I would assume most are lacking a left foot from some past trauma or medical reason, and are happy with the automatic shifting characteristics of an earth mover.

All cool though.

#subframewhat

indy_500

Call a civil engineer - I'm sure you have one somewhere in your social circle, I have a couple - and ask them if the wear and lifespan impact of a 80K lb semi is different than a 4K lb passenger car or 7K lb light truck on a roadbed. I could point out that the composition of your driveway differs from an interstate by an order of magnitude, but I'm not sure if that helps.

Some of you must have struggled a great deal in high school physics.
Was trying to lighten the mood… 100% identical driving characteristics, a deep lug long track will indeed cause more damage to a trail. I think we can all agree on that to a point. But to say they are the reasons trails are bumpy is not a whole lot different than saying guns kill people. Trails deteriorate from excess traffic, weather, and people who drive like jack wagons. The people who drive like jack wagons could be on a 2012 Skidoo 800 XRS, a 1987 Polaris Indy Trail, a 2018 Yamaha Sidewinder, or a 2019 Arctic Cat M8000 153x3. Point is, it does not matter what you drive, you can mindfully drive ANY sled and cause little to no deterioration to a trail. I have followed older sleds with less than <1” lug tracks spinning all over the friggin place, all while wiping out every last corner, and taking it down to the dirt before and after every stop sign. Does that mean we should ban those too? Kind of disappointed with some of the thought processes here…

wiscrev

I have run with, and been behind mountain sleds, and yes, they do tear up the trails. Personally, I think anything above 1.5" lugs should be prohibited from trails [exception: to get from one spot to another, but don't know how you police that]. [Maybe a surcharge for sleds with deep lugs.]

dfattack

Just noticed there aren't any thumbs down...Why? Nice way of saying you don't agree without having to type it out :)

dfattack

I have run with, and been behind mountain sleds, and yes, they do tear up the trails. Personally, I think anything above 1.5" lugs should be prohibited from trails [exception: to get from one spot to another, but don't know how you police that]. [Maybe a surcharge for sleds with deep lugs.]
NO NO NO...no more taxes, rules etc that the gubmint has to manage. They still don't know how to plow roads when they know a storm is coming!

old abe

LMAO, not hard to guess where perhaps you heard this, eh! And I for one, thank the snow plow crews, in MI, on all levels, as they do a excellent job!

Last edited:

wiscrev

NO NO NO...no more taxes, rules etc that the gubmint has to manage. They still don't know how to plow roads when they know a storm is coming!
I meant an extra charge for a trail permit, sorry. After all, if mtn sleds want to run trails and tear them up, then they should pay a little more, with all monies going to clubs. t was just a thought.

indy_500

I meant an extra charge for a trail permit, sorry. After all, if mtn sleds want to run trails and tear them up, then they should pay a little more, with all monies going to clubs. t was just a thought.
I own both types of sleds. An average day on the trails for me is anywhere from 75-150 miles riding across multiple different clubs trails that awesome volunteers chose to groom. Now, An average day on my mountain sled in the UP consists of me parking as close as I can to my intended riding terrain, and riding MAX 5 miles of marked trails before dipping off into the trees for the day. After I’m done pulling my sled out all day long I ride those same trails back to the truck to load up. Tell me how it makes sense to pay an additional fee to ride my long track down the bill nichols for a few miles? I have a hard time justifying the $52 trail pass as it is, but it’s on my sled!

goofy600

I own both types of sleds. An average day on the trails for me is anywhere from 75-150 miles riding across multiple different clubs trails that awesome volunteers chose to groom. Now, An average day on my mountain sled in the UP consists of me parking as close as I can to my intended riding terrain, and riding MAX 5 miles of marked trails before dipping off into the trees for the day. After I’m done pulling my sled out all day long I ride those same trails back to the truck to load up. Tell me how it makes sense to pay an additional fee to ride my long track down the bill nichols for a few miles? I have a hard time justifying the $52 trail pass as it is, but it’s on my sled!
Indy unfortunately in the world today everything is divided into us or them, you can’t be both. Even though I have not met you I feel I know you pretty good and you truly love the sport and respect it. But as I’m sure you know so many do not and you are correct a trail sled can wreck a trail just as fast as a off trail sled. Problem is seams like off trail riders have been taking more heat because of the few bad apples that trespass so it must be all off trail riders wrecking the trails also. Don’t take it personal I would say 99% of people on here would think it’s not you but because you are young (age wise) on this sight and ride off trail you must be guilty.