Grooming in Vilas Co.

renten

I know they received between 6 and 8 inches of new snow. Are any clubs still grooming or have they just written off the season?

dodgep0wer

Stayed in Hurley this weekend. Grade from Hurley to Mercer is almost impassable. Total rock covered. Mercer east was not bad. Passed many groomers in Iron and Vilas counties. Trails near Winchester, Presque isle, and Boulder were pretty darn good for what they had. Many, many wet spots on the trails, be careful!

Highflyer

Stayed in Hurley this weekend. Grade from Hurley to Mercer is almost impassable. Total rock covered. Mercer east was not bad. Passed many groomers in Iron and Vilas counties. Trails near Winchester, Presque isle, and Boulder were pretty darn good for what they had. Many, many wet spots on the trails, be careful!

How were the trails down to Bear Chasers?

Also did you ride into the UP? Was wondering if it got better that direction.

starlaker

We rode from Starlake to St. Germain and over towards Sugarcamp Sunday. 110 miles. Didn't see many other sleds although we were on the trails by 7:00 AM. St. Germain had groomed and the trails were pretty good considering. All the water holes were frozen so didn't have an issue with that. Left this morning to come home and no trails were groomed from up by us down to Tomahawk from what we could see from the roads. I would check before going. Thin spots and if the sun comes out it won't take long and they won't be good. We are hoping for one more ride next weekend too. I posted a couple of pictures in Guest shots

Last edited:
Even if there is grooming going on up here in Vilas/Oneida County, it will be done by later today or tomorrow. We have 41 degrees right now and sunny. Tomorrow is in the 40's also, done up here unless we get some more snow. Most of the snow we got on Friday has already melted and we had no base before Friday. Sorry to bring the bad news.

shelby369

Rode Sat/Sun in Vilas ....175 miles, Sun morning early was one of the best rides of the year, flat, white, not a sled in 80 miles........Big thx to the groomer folks taking what was there and making it awesome.... hope not done yet.

radsrh

Sun out today so anything that was dark is burnt down to dirt. Also calling for rain and 40 tomorrow, not good at all.

Bravo CC Cruisers in Arborvitae........rode excellent trails today to Popes, and back to StG......might be game over in Vilas by Friday?

ridindirty800

Venturenorth, I read on facebook that Vilas may close before the warm up this weekend, they said stay tuned for a possible announcement. Sad the last few years have ended early. They extra week long way above average temps just took there toll, I feel for all the business's that lost out a few weekend of income up there.

C

Cirrus_Driver

Not surprised Vilas would close early given what I saw weekend before last. There's just no way. No base, limited frost, too warm. Why I came on here and said its over for me. Good news is, I may keep both my sleds for another year.

weatherman sayin 1-2 in tomorrow...but temps close to 50's on the weekend...
Phelps and Eagle River have already closed some sections of trails, its bad out there.....
better to close now than risk more injuries or deaths ....17 in Wi this year...... compared to 9 last yr

just sayin .....bad conditions leads to icy, or bare trails, and that leads to riding off the trail, to avoid .......

drinking and riding is the other bad condition, too

shelby369

I rode last Sat/Sun/Mon and it was good (felt like early spring) there was 75%+ really good and 25% that was not......its the responsibility of the rider to adjust to conditions .... if conditions allow 100mph blasts, go for it.....if conditions only allow 20mph speeds, adjust... drinking and sledding is a "all season" issue and not just in spring....actually this past weekend was awesome because there was no sleds out to speak of........ I have ride like this.... if trails are 50% better than bad, I ride, when trail get 50% bad then good, I park........I am heading back up Thurs hoping to get Friday and Sat morning in.......Lets hope

could not agree more.......I rode Monday too StG to Arb.......we got 1" of fluff today, just a teaser....
s369...I would check back before making the trip, Vilas could close any time now....
If not, i give it 75 poor or worse, 25 fair, and 40-50's coming fri sat sun , and next week....
......wish i had better news.......

renegade

Just read that they are keping vilas open for he weekend. Might even try to groom if temps keep dropping. Ill be going to Iron County for my last trip. May venture down that way.

shelby369

could not agree more.......I rode Monday too StG to Arb.......we got 1" of fluff today, just a teaser....
s369...I would check back before making the trip, Vilas could close any time now....
If not, i give it 75 poor or worse, 25 fair, and 40-50's coming fri sat sun , and next week....
......wish i had better news.......

10-4...........thx

wink

We Rode Man. Waters to Boulder Monday and then to Star lake and did the loop back to Boulder and and Man. Ended for a grand finally at th Howling dog. The trails were surprisingly good to Satar lake but on the way back the temps and sun had taken the toll. There is no base and with the warm temps, a little rain and even if they get some snow...I think it is over. They were iffy if they were going to close on 2/28 around Manitowish.

See ya next year