Having fun with Nukes

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So I found this website:&nbsp;&nbsp;https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/<br><br>and have been having some fun simulating the detonation of nuclear bombs, but I have to say I am quite surprised at the area impacted by the bombs. For some reason I always thought that one bomb at today's full magnitude scale would wipe out an entire large city like NY or Chicago, but only does partial areas. Of course this is just one warhead and there are 1000's of warheads, but still, it looks like a large percentage of the worlds population would survive the blasts, only to suffer the after effects. Guess the folks at ground zero would be considered the luck ones. Incinerated without even knowing it.<br><br><br>

xsledder

In a way, this is kinda disturbing.&nbsp; It don't know exactly which would be more disturbing, the person(s) that though of it or the person(s) playing it?&nbsp; (Don't get me wrong, I am amazed at the simplicity and physics of a thermonuclear device.&nbsp; Just, a website to play blowing up cities is a little weird.&nbsp; But, there are more disturbing things out on the Internet and in real life.)

united

Would you like to play a game?

The WOPR (War Operation Plan Response) computer has gone crazy and only John and Nora can save the world if they can find Professor Faulkner on his private island.

Joshua

Tic Tac Toe

Nuclear war is a strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

So I found this website:&nbsp;&nbsp;https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/<br><br>and have been having some fun simulating the detonation of nuclear bombs, but I have to say I am quite surprised at the area impacted by the bombs. For some reason I always thought that one bomb at today's full magnitude scale would wipe out an entire large city like NY or Chicago, but only does partial areas. Of course this is just one warhead and there are 1000's of warheads, but still, it looks like a large percentage of the worlds population would survive the blasts, only to suffer the after effects. Guess the folks at ground zero would be considered the luck ones. Incinerated without even knowing it.<br><br><br>

frnash

Having fun with Nudes?

Ooops, I guess I misread that thread title! Second thought: Movie (2002) "The Sum of All Fears", Ben Affleck, Morgan Freeman … "CIA analyst Jack Ryan must stop the plans of a Neo-Nazi faction that threatens to induce a catastrophic conflict between the United States and Russia's President by detonating a nuclear weapon at a football game in Baltimore, Maryland."

Last edited:

candyman

Spent 4 years working on Minuteman II missiles at Whiteman AFB 1986-1990. Moscow had only 20 minutes to get there bags packed before contact. 

DamageInc

We could make the warheads much larger, but they make them smaller to fit multiple warheads on one missile, and to destroy specific targets without huge amounts of collateral damage. We are also still abiding by START treaty, which radically reduced the size of our nuclear arsenal. China and Russia actually both have much larger warheads in service than we do. START is a danger to our national security, and we should withdraw.

ezra

Kid/ guy who works for me his gramps had PBS at his house for 2 days interviewing him as one of the fewsurvivors of the navy a bomb testing.
It is crazy talking with him . I guess they would be on a ship then told to just duck behind the boats guard rail and cover there eyes with there hat . He said you could hold up your hand and see your bones. Then after ship was all sorts of contaminated they had the guys wash it down along with them self with sea water. Then the radiation detectors were off the charts . So what do you do then well go to bed and wake up and light up another over and over .
He made 90

Last edited:

mezz

Sure your not opening a can of worms. <br><br>
War Games <br><br>
Early 80's
<br><br>Oh yeah, in that robotic voice, "Want-to-Play-a-Game?" What kind of game? "Therm-o-nuclear-War." That was pretty good for it's time. -Mezz<br><br>
<br>

buddah2

<br><br>Oh yeah, in that robotic voice, "Want-to-Play-a-Game?" What kind of game? "Therm-o-nuclear-War." That was pretty good for it's time. -Mezz<br><br>
<br>
<br>
<br><br>I believe the name was "Global Thermonuclear War" ??

mezz

<br><br>
<br><br>I believe the name was "Global Thermonuclear War" ??
You are correct, my memory isn't as good as it use to be, but, then again, sometimes yesterdays lunch is tough to remember.... -Mezz<br>
<br>