Hay Days this year

elf

Is there anybody on the board that is going to be camping at Hay Days this year? We always camp in the Chicken Coop campground across the highway and if anybody else is there you are welcome to stop by our campsite for a beer or two. We have a group of 3-4 campers that have camped together for years and have a great time.

warner

yes sir, first year i will be going to Haydays, camping in the chicken coop with a buddy and our 3 boys. we are meeting another group group there that camps at the chicken coop in the woods area. I hope it's not 100 degrees !
see you there ELF

wisco-mb

I'm skipping this year. Not too much needed this year. Going to Wide Open Wisconsin to check it out.
Working the AWSC booth in the afternoon for a couple hours.
We'll be back next year though! Have fun!

elf

yes sir, first year i will be going to Haydays, camping in the chicken coop with a buddy and our 3 boys. we are meeting another group group there that camps at the chicken coop in the woods area. I hope it's not 100 degrees !
see you there ELF
We are usually in the woods area also. Grey F350 with a grey/brown wildcat 5th wheel. Gonna be hot though.

hermie

Hay days is an awesome event but not what it use to be to get parts and sleds. Seems like you need to get a spot in the swap now and most good stuff is sold Friday between swappers. Also seems like a lot of swappers are getting spaces with nothing to sell they are there just to party. I would like to check out wide open Wisconsin I keep hearing good things about it and really reasonable to get through the gate with a lot of different things going on.

elf

Hay days is an awesome event but not what it use to be to get parts and sleds. Seems like you need to get a spot in the swap now and most good stuff is sold Friday between swappers. Also seems like a lot of swappers are getting spaces with nothing to sell they are there just to party. I would like to check out wide open Wisconsin I keep hearing good things about it and really reasonable to get through the gate with a lot of different things going on.
Gotta be honest, there's so little stuff I need anymore that I'm really there for the party part. We've camped with the same crew since they started allowing camping so thats always a lot of fun. Then I meet up with the rest of the group I ride with inside and we wander the swaps, find that rare treasure that I don't really need, hang out at the beer gardens, and just have a great time. Its not the shopping anymore as much as it is the social time hanging out with good friends.

euphoric1

went to wide open wisconsin for the first time last year, honestly was a bit disappointed, maybe will steadily improve now that we are distanced from the covid times but I miss the good old days of the Milwaukee snow show that like many other events seems to be dwindling as well. And I agree with elf it was a good social time ahnging out with riding buds and a bunch of people with the same interests in the sport.

wisco-mb

went to wide open wisconsin for the first time last year, honestly was a bit disappointed, maybe will steadily improve now that we are distanced from the covid times but I miss the good old days of the Milwaukee snow show that like many other events seems to be dwindling as well. And I agree with elf it was a good social time ahnging out with riding buds and a bunch of people with the same interests in the sport.
I'm not sure what to expect from WOW. It's still pretty young, is only the 3rd year? I'm hoping it can turn into what the Milwaukee show was 10ish years ago. I'm sure it will take a little time. Bring in a little more music, and will draw more people also. Good to see the club offering the student safety class there also!

I agree with Hermie on the hay days swaps. My first time there was 2 years ago. 50% was just people partying, not really selling anything. Saw a lot of people sleeping during the day! A bunch of light weights at that! Why not just use the other campground?

euphoric1

I'm not sure what to expect from WOW. It's still pretty young, is only the 3rd year? I'm hoping it can turn into what the Milwaukee show was 10ish years ago. I'm sure it will take a little time. Bring in a little more music, and will draw more people also. Good to see the club offering the student safety class there also!

I agree with Hermie on the hay days swaps. My first time there was 2 years ago. 50% was just people partying, not really selling anything. Saw a lot of people sleeping during the day! A bunch of light weights at that! Why not just use the other campground?
I did not realize it was only their 3rd year and lets face it last year was still coming off all the covid crap which could have played into it too. Hopefully it will continue to gain ground!! I'm sure with the ease of internet sales the space rental is a big issue at state fair park, hopefully West Bend will embrace the sport and the show and it will continue to grow!

lofsfire

Milwaukee deffeninaly dwindled and now it's canceled for this year...
From their website, https://www.snowmobileusa.com/shows/2023-milwaukee-wisconsin/
"Sadly, we have made the decision to cancel the SNOWMOBILE USA Show & Sale in Milwaukee, WI this year. We are restructuring the show to bring it back in the future. Stay tuned!"

Price of the space rental was defiantly a big issue, two years years ago (Oct 2021) I stopped in at Highlands of Yamaha for some gear for my boys. I made the comment to the ladies working there how I was worried they would have things packed up for the shows and not out to try on... They told me that the booth/space cost was get out of control... Then I think it was the following spring and Highlands of Yamaha closed there doors...

Looks like NOVI is still on, but I have not been in a few years now. Friends that go seem to take off Friday get there for opening that night, then go out Friday night and are heading back Saturday to miss the crowds.

wisco-mb

Milwaukee deffeninaly dwindled and now it's canceled for this year...
From their website, https://www.snowmobileusa.com/shows/2023-milwaukee-wisconsin/

Price of the space rental was defiantly a big issue, two years years ago (Oct 2021) I stopped in at Highlands of Yamaha for some gear for my boys. I made the comment to the ladies working there how I was worried they would have things packed up for the shows and not out to try on... They told me that the booth/space cost was get out of control... Then I think it was the following spring and Highlands of Yamaha closed there doors...

Not terribly surprised on the Milwaukee show. Hopefully that will get some more people out for WOW now!

My wife still has her boots that she bought from Highlands. Too bad about them.

hermie

I use to really like the Milwaukee snow show but the last few years not enough vendors to justify the gate cost. The show I really miss is the Illinois snow show. They had a good swap and grass drags. I use to go to Hay Days every year just to browse the swap. Now it's a lot of walking between things for sale and some of the junk people are trying to sell is unreal. I had high hopes for WOW but I think I will go there with an open mind and see. I also had high hopes for the show at Eagle River track but that didn't work out to well. Anybody go to the Wausau grass drags? Any good?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to go to the Milwaukee show. Usually bought something every year when there was a lot to choose from. I seem to recall a story that John Dee told of when they had a booth there. They charged extra for power and then another charge for a power/extension cord. You can read between the lines as to why they no longer have a show in Milwaukee and that's too bad.

pclark

Waukesha County Snowmobile Association really supported that show. But it's true, they priced themselves right out of a show, no vendors, no show, greedy and gone.....

elf

It was a great weekend. Had nothing to really look for so I mostly just browsed. Bought a couple of shirts, wife bought some jam in the swap meet, hung out with friends, and enjoyed the show.
I thought crowds were maybe down a bit on Saturday and the Sunday crowd is always very light so thats nice. Didn't really walk a lot of the swaps so didn't pay attention to what people were pricing products at.