Heading to Colorado 4-12 through 4-17

billjd

Anyone have any suggestions on sled rental and places to ride. I don't want to take one of those guided tours with the 550 fans. Looking to rent a new 800rmk and do some serious riding. Would consider paying someone local to take me out for a day or two.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Bill D

ezra

where u going big state kinda vague
best prices in the state for mountain sleds are in Denver but they only rent cats I am sure u could handle the extra power though.
http://www.extremerentalsinc.com/
they rent trucks also so u can yank it up to the ears

oktaneho

Whatever you do, make sure you and everyone riding with you is wearing a avy beacon, shovel, and probe, and know how to use them. Learn how to use the beacon and practice with it before you go riding. Often you can rent these for reasonable prices if you don't want to buy them.

billjd

I did call them. Rent a truck and a sled for the day. If they still have good snow by April it should work. Those cat engines should all be rebuilt and all the other recalled replacement parts installed by then.

April should be out of Avalache season. Might try to find someone to go with.

Thanks for the input.

Bill D

blutooth

I did call them. Rent a truck and a sled for the day. If they still have good snow by April it should work. Those cat engines should all be rebuilt and all the other recalled replacement parts installed by then.

April should be out of Avalache season. Might try to find someone to go with.

Thanks for the input.

Bill D

I hate to be a downer, but as long as there is snow there is avy danger. Also unless you know the area like the back of your hand riding the backcountry solo isn't a great idea. There are lots of clinics/ guides to find in Colorado. If it's just you I'd seriously consider booking a day with them. Burandt, Matt Entz, etc. they will be able to set you up with everything you need including local knowledge and an extra set of hands to make sure you don't get into a situation you can't get yourself out of...

it it sure is awesome riding there though, and will be worth the trip!

oktaneho

He's right. There is no such thing as being out of avy season, just varying levels of danger. We dug my friend out of one in late March. Only reason he's alive is because we were all wearing beacons.

billjd

Good to know. Thanks for the input. I will see if I can contact Burandt. I lost a friend in an avy in 1996 so i understand. I just thought we would be out of the main concerns by that time of course conditions will dictate but best to error on the side of caution.