Heat in bed of pickup

miaferominka

Anyone have any experience or ideas getting a little heat in the bed of a pickup with a cap on it?

Just want to get a little of the chill out for the dogs.

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

• DSC_2066.JPG
    DSC_2066.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 57

maddogg

Sam,
I've got a lab the goes everywhere in the back of my truck. I did a couple of things. The first was that his crate is off the bed floor. I just put 2X4's in the slots in the bed and put plywood and then carpet on top. His crate also has an insulated cover from Mud River. When we are parked and there is electricity I use a small space heater with an extension cord. If ther's no electric I use a Mr. Buddy very carefully with proper ventalation ect. ect. While on the road (moving) I do a couple of things depending on the length of the trip. I preheat the bed for him. I've also put warm blankets under and around the crate (heat them in the dryer on high). I also have a battery setup that I can run a small electric blanket around/under the crate. I wouldn't put it in in case he chews on it.
In the summer, I run a fan off the battery and can pack ice under and around the crate.
Let me know if you need anything more specific like photos or something.
Andy

snodogg

open the beer window if you have one.

Seriously though secure a kennel in the back, use a dog bed in the kennel and wrap a blanket or use a kennel cover on the outside and the dog's own body heat will keep him plenty warm.

Besides a kennel is also safer than letting him "loose" in the back. Still important to keep him hydrated and use the bathroom every 3-4 hours if your on a long trip.

I don't know how she does it but my lab can duck hunt all day in freezing temps and blowing winds when I am frozen after an hour in the blind. brrrrrrr

Last edited:

miaferominka

Thanks Andy,
What I am worried about is on my way back and forth to the U.P. i 465 miles.... If it real cold. I am buying a cap that has a boot on it instead of a winow so when i open up my sliding window "some heat" will get back there. If you have any pics and you get a chance send them my way.

Thanks again
Sam

swampcat

Back in the day, 1978,I took a heater core out of a forklift,teed off the factory heater lines on the pickup (went along frame rail,then up into bed),ran a fused 12V line to the heater.Heater had a variable speed switch for fan,used to get darn TOASTY back there.

polarisrider1

You can go to the "junk Yard" and get a rear heat core out of a van and t off lines to the box. Our work Vans have them. The guys complained that by the time they got to the job the van was just getting warmed up. They even have fans on them. The Dogs will love you for it!

ezra

auto parts stores sell small electric 12v heaters I had to get one a few yrs back when my heat stopped blowing about 300mi from home.other wise how about getting a 12v cigarette lighter electric blanket and putting it on the floor of the kennel.I saw those at walmart

srxsrule

School bus heater! Just run power and heater hoses to it tee'd off from the factory heater core.

We have two trucks set-up for sleeping on our long hauls west. 4 door 1 ton dullies with a topper thats lined with carpet and a bed that raised up from the floor. The heater is mounted at the front of the box, under the bed. Last weekend it was around 0 to -15 and winds blowing 40-70mph and it was around 60* in the back :) Drive all night and take turns sleeping.....works great! Eric

700classic

Check out Iowa-80.com They have 12v blankets, mattress pads,etc. I think the heated mattress pad would probably work good. Plug it in, cover with fido's favorite blanket and high gear north bound and down. 10-4

shawnj

Just put him in the darn truck with ya, ha ha. That's what we do with our 100 lb Lab. He's a good traveller. He's been all the way to the east coast twice with about 10hrs of driving, of course stops at 2-3 hrs. I'm sure he is bored out his mind on these longer trips but I know he'd rather be there with us than at home by himself. Of course I have room in the back seat of my Avalanche too for him.....I don't know if those little car heaters work if there plugged into an inverter or not.

miaferominka

shwan I have 3 dogs 1 115 lbs , another 105 and the last 85. All are personal protection dogs. 2 of them can't be in the same room with each other. so in the cab is out

harski

I used to put my German Shepard in the back of the truck summer/winter etc... I had the "beer" window as someone called it and aimed the vents towards that window and never had a problem. He was just happy to be with me all the time as I'm sure yours are too. All the ideas here seem to be great improvements as well . Good luck.

Harski

700xcsp

Back in the day my neighbor had a pickup with cap and made the bed into extra seating with seat belts for the kids and he took a dryer vent and attached to his floor vents off the heater and ran a whole out in the cab and the bed of the truck and then ran the dryer vent under the seat through the holes and it actually kept it pretty warm back their. The only thing is he had to keep his setting for the floor heat on at all times, so he just kept it on the floor/dash setting and it kept both parts manageable at all times.

maddogg

Pics of the truck

Sam - attached are some pics. The first is the kennel. I put a rubber mat in it with carpet on top. THe second is of the cover. There's a flap on top that zippers down to fully enclose it. The last 2 are the setup for the truck. The elevated platform work well because you can put stuff under it. You can also see the battery next to the kennel on the right. It fits nice in between the platform and the lip on the top of the bed. I tied it in with some terminal covers. Also makes it easy to get to for charging. Sorry for the quality of the pics. I took them when I got home and it was dark and snowing pretty good. Running the spare heater core is also a great idea, but to much of a hassle for me.

Attachments

• DSC02666.jpg
    DSC02666.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC02667.jpg
    DSC02667.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC02668.jpg
    DSC02668.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02669.jpg
    DSC02669.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 54

miaferominka

Thanks guys for all the imput. Another reason i love this site. I stumbled upon this while doing a internet search. What you think may be a easy fix? along with carpet and a kennel insulated wrap?

The CoolK9 Rear A/C System keeps the kennel area cool (or warm) by re-directing a portion of the vehicle's air conditioning (or heating). Studies have shown CoolK9 keeps the rear area of a police car at least 10 degrees cooler than normal. Dash Cup snaps into the A/C vent on most vehicles and the rear kennel discharge is installed with zip-ties (included). CoolK9 is also great for transporting your K-9 to work in your own vehicle or transporting show or hunting dogs. Comes with 6' of hose and is easily disconnected by squeezing the Dash Cup spring clip.

Attachments

• cool cap.jpg
    cool cap.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 35

maddogg

Have a couple of other training buddies who have used those. They are OK. On really cold days they loose heat and on really hot days they loose the cool. They don't hurt anything if you know what I mean. they work great in cars but seem to loose it in the large area of the bed/cap.

If you get a kennel cover and add the carpet or a blanket your dog(s) will be fine. This fall my father and I were duck hunting in North Dakota in snow and we had to break ice to set our decoys. We were camping and the dogs were fine in the back of the truck in the crates with a kennel wrap and a blanket. I think they even had it better in there then we had it in the tent! We just had to make sure they were dry.

1 more tip. Make sure to air out the truck - especially if you see condensation on the windows. It can get pretty damp back there too. If you want, give me a call - 262-443-3445. Always nice to share tips with another dog guy.

dekx

Thanks guys for all the imput. Another reason i love this site. I stumbled upon this while doing a internet search. What you think may be a easy fix? along with carpet and a kennel insulated wrap?

The CoolK9 Rear A/C System keeps the kennel area cool (or warm) by re-directing a portion of the vehicle's air conditioning (or heating). Studies have shown CoolK9 keeps the rear area of a police car at least 10 degrees cooler than normal. Dash Cup snaps into the A/C vent on most vehicles and the rear kennel discharge is installed with zip-ties (included). CoolK9 is also great for transporting your K-9 to work in your own vehicle or transporting show or hunting dogs. Comes with 6' of hose and is easily disconnected by squeezing the Dash Cup spring clip.

I use this and it works great...