Helmet Cams?

ac600sp

I want to get some sort of helmet cam for this winter. It will be used for other season to. Is the Go Pro the best or any brand? Thanks for any info.

cooksend

GoPro is a great option and shoots awesome quality footage. I had a GoPro then purchased a Contour Roam. Footage is almost that of the GoPro and I get way more footage as On/Off is super simple. I agree that the Liquid Image goggle is sweet n simple but it is not very universal. Also remember that once your goggle foam is junk that the camera is done! Also you have no other mount options. Many good cameras out there. Easy to use means you get good vids with less hassle.

scottiking

I have had them all or most of them!
My fave is the Contour Roam 2!
Great quality vids,battery lasts all day and the best part is it has a slide button on the whole top that slides forward to turn on and record and slide back to stop recording and shut off!
No stand by and wondering if it beeped to record or not!
and its small like a roll of quarters! no big box sitting on the top or side of your helmet to get wacked off by a tree branch!
Just my 2 cents!
Scottiking OUT

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Contour Roam is my cam of choice. Great vids, super easy to use. I dont like the boxy look of the go pro, plys, i would be to worried about it getting knocked off in the trees.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had a Helmet Cam for two years now and I have to say that the Camera is only half the equation. You'll need a program for editing and sharing. I've had two, the first one I tried to save a buck and it was junk. The second program I purchased is the Cyberlink Power Director and is excellent for quality and flexibility. The camera is going to record everything which surprisingly is kind of boring like stops to check maps, change a belt, take a pee, etc. You'll want to scope everything down to a few minutes which are the highlights of an afternoon ride. And that's where your Editing program comes in.

I haven't used the Contour but it sounds simple to operate and that's good with cold temps and gloves. The Go Pro has a lot of functions and features of which I probably only use about 10%. I like the remote start and stop as I attach the switch to my glove for easy access. As far as attachment to the helmet, it would take an ape to pull that off. I'm not sure what's in the adhesive but it sure as heck is secure to the helmet. No concerns there.

Here's a couple of vids from last season that I've posted before. It gives you an idea of what you can do with a lot of practice with both the cam and editing program. Have fun with it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VSasJoD2YU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMIzPXliL0

cooksend

Gary is right that the footage gets to be pretty lame if your clips are too long! I really try to get the shot that I want to edit and show with very little extra. When I had the Go Pro I would come home with 5 or 6 clips and all too long. Now I come home with 30+ and they are short and easy to edit. Hardest thing is choosing which one to use in a video. I also keep editing simple. Windows Movie Make Live!

ezra

is contour back in business?
I still have one it was nice to just slide the bar forward.
I still would forget it was on and burn a card from time to time.
have not used for riding sleds since I got the liquid image.it is now the dedicated Bacon cam (the dog)

paulk

I have been looking at getting one also and am leaning towards the Contour roam 2. But have not made the final choice.

pez

yes, Contour is back in business.
The latest model is the Roam 3.

is contour back in business?
I still have one it was nice to just slide the bar forward.
I still would forget it was on and burn a card from time to time.
have not used for riding sleds since I got the liquid image.it is now the dedicated Bacon cam (the dog)

ezra

am I the only 1 packing a power strip on trips now days.
it is getting crazy.
helmet cam
phone
I pod
2 way radio
boot and glove dryer
lap top
gps
now heated gloves
at least the hot spot is built in to phone now so the gloves take that space on the strip

polarisrider1

am I the only 1 packing a power strip on trips now days.
it is getting crazy.
helmet cam
phone
I pod
2 way radio
boot and glove dryer
lap top
gps
now heated gloves
at least the hot spot is built in to phone now so the gloves take that space on the strip

Good point

skiroule

I have a Contour Roam and a Roam2. It could be just my imagination but I think the Roam2 has slightly better video quality than the original Roam.

I think GoPro and Countour produce some excellent video but I went with Contour over GoPro for many of the reasons the guys have already mentioned: battery life, compactness, and most important, ease of operation. A lot of my video is shot in short segments (less than a minute), turning the camera on and off while on the move. I can operate the camera even while wearing heavy mittens. Obviously the Roam does not have a viewing screen so if that’s important, the Roam is out.

I haven’t explored a lot of alternative helmet mounting options and have only used the standard mounting pads which have somewhat limited mounting angle adjustment. I prefer to not have the helmet in the shot so I made a mounting plate for my modular helmet out of a piece of rubber mallet in order to get it mounted forward enough to clear the helmet and still point directly forward. On my other helmet with the visor, mounting it on the visor worked perfectly. I rotate the lens so the camera is actually mounted sideways on the visor. You can also mount the camera on a standard tripod if need be.

Both good cameras, guess it comes down to which key features are most important.

5_spot

I've had many of them dating back to the first Vio-Sport (Co. out of Marquette). My personal preference for snowmobiling is the Contours for all the reasons stated above. So easy to use with gloves, including turning on the lens laser. A quick push of the button and a laser is turned on for a few seconds to insure the lens is level, no matter where its mounted on your helmet or other location. Once my helmet is on, I usually align it to the separation line of the inside of the Overhead garage door panel sections. If I want to view footage at a pit stop, I can quickly pop out the micro sd card, and pop it in my Android. I've even edited it right on my phone and sent it off to buddies who blew the trip off while at our pit stop.

snocrazy

I have had several. Started with the VIO Sport camera connected to a digital tape sony camcorder. Before that was duct tape of camcorder to helmet!
I have a gopro hero 3 black. Now looking at the Hero 4Black. Nothing else out there compares for video quality. You get what you pay for if you ask me.
Ease of use is not a big selling point for the gopros. I am sure other options out there will be simpler or more user friendly.

skiroule

This was shot a couple years back with the now discontinued original Contour Roam. Be sure to watch in HiDef to get a feel for the footage quality.

Very good video and riding. You don't suck at all like Byrn71 says you do.

At the risk of exposing my lack of knowledge, I have a question: I noticed your video provides the 1080p HD play option. Mine seem to be limited to 720. Is there a trick to this?

frosty

Very good video and riding. You don't suck at all like Byrn71 says you do.

At the risk of exposing my lack of knowledge, I have a question: I noticed your video provides the 1080p HD play option. Mine seem to be limited to 720. Is there a trick to this?

That was a good day....you should see all the other times! Hehe, love ya man!