Helmet/goggle/face mask set up

mikesvmax

What do you guys wear for helmet, goggle, and face mask combos? I haven't found a good setup that I like yet and wanted to see what other people are using. I'm not a big fan of the breath box as it is a pain to get and keep in place.

cuzzinolaf

Klim F4 helmet, Klim Covert balaclava, Spy goggles. I use the Klim breath deflector that comes with the helmet and run the warm weather liner. Expensive setup but NO complaints.

polarisrider1

ZR1 helmet, Rudy Project or spy goggles, and bargain basement Balaclava or RU outside beenie for off trail. Skidoo modular with stickers removed (I ride Polaris)and the same cheap balaclavas for trail riding. The first Generation skidoo modular is so sweet. You have to use the snorkel and panty liners for it to work correctly.

ezra

look for goggles made for use with glasses thay have extra thick foam around the goggle make a better seal IMHO.I also have a cat txi with electric it is ok but the viser makes a funny shadow on the shield .I also have a hjc verry windy verry loud but stays fog free forget moddel the thing is flat with tribal stickers.I also have a cat crosstec pice of poo real spendy crap.I dont know the best way to go I use the mx style with 2 sets of goggs when off trail and the cat txi when trailriding.and keep the others because I guess I must be a horder

snobuilder

I still can't understand why some manuf. has not coordinated there design to fit tightly with there/others goggle style. seems like an easy and profitable idea.
Sell the helmet & goggle as a set.

scottd

I use any old balaclava (perhaps i'll try a fancy one this year), HJC helmet with breathbox, FXR goggles, Roko quickstraps. For me anyways I am very happy with this. Everything fits tight and I get almost no wind or anything from the top including high speed on the trail. Out west I have ridden without the breathbox and it gets brutal in the wind if you have any speed at all. Once I went to this setup I can never see myself using a full face again even if I went on a multi-day trail only ride in COLD weather.

My breath box is snapped and velcroed into the helmet and I never touch it unless removing it. The quick straps are a must in my book. Getting the helmet on and off with the goggles on it was a pain before them.

Y

yama_yooper

Any set of quality dual pane goggles will work...add a "No-Fog" mask and you are all set!

tr7

Any helmet with a breath box designed for that helmet is your best bet. HJC designs breath boxes to work with specific models. For example the
CL-X5N requires the breath box made for it to work properly.

As far as goggles go, there are a few companies making snowmobile specific goggles these days. These goggles have large extended face foams to cover any exposed skin areas. Most are designed to fit well in todays large eyeport helmets. Companies such as Castle, Smith, and 509 are making great goggles intended specifically for snowmobilers.

No-Fog is a great addition as well. It will replace the breath box of any helmet and seal very tightly. In my opinion though, No-Fog works at it's best when it is super cold. Anytime I have used it during what I would consider normal conditions I find that it sweats really bad and gets pretty gross inside.

Overall though, helmets with the right breath boxes and snowmobile designed goggles make for a great set up.

snobuilder

Thanks for the info, tr7, there are alot of goggle co. out there ,good to know which are geared toward sledders.

coldsmokejr

AFX FX-18 and arctiva balaclava, used Oakley gogles for years, tried Smith last year, lenses seamed to come apart. Will be going with Scotts this year.

nitroman

<font color="ff0000">One thing to watch out for with the Quick straps is when you have them hanging to the side of your helmet on a break and it's snowing your gog's fill up with snow! I ditched the Quick straps for this reason. I just take the gog's off and stow them in the tunnel bag or in my helmet if I have it off. Scott 89XI Turboflow LS gog's are a great fit I have Spy Targa 2's and Smith snow pistons also. Always carry a spare pair, always! And make sure you get dual lens's for them. The HJC universal breath box works great and stay away from the clip on nose pieces they only trap warm air and lead to problems(they block the airflow ports on the bottom of the gog's and that airflow is an important part of the system). Use the breath box to divert warm breath away but make sure you have good airflow around the gog's to remove the warm moist air inside the gog's, if your gog's are completely sealed and you got no airflow and start to sweat a little you will fog them and eventually ice over(always carry a spare pair,always!). Just what I've learned over the years hope it helps</font>

ezra

just remember eaven if it sounds good at the table the reuben sandwitch or cornbeef and cabbage lunch specal are never a good idea what ever helmet you are using!