Helmets: Snocross vs. Full Face

aps0428

I'm thinking about getting a snocross helmet and goggles instead of using my full face. I never get cold riding, even at 30 below, and both of my full face helmets are too warm, and I can't get enough ventilation. How does a snocross compare as far as

Warmth
Ventilation/ability to adjust ventilation
Fogging
Visibility
Price
etc. etc.

Obviously different helmets have different characteristics, but would like to here some of your thoughts.

Going to the snow show in Novi and will be checking some out there, but don't ride enough to justify one super expensive. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dave_B

I switched to snocross a couple of years ago and I love it. Try as many on as you can as they all seem to fit different. I ended up with an HJC CL X5N because I needed a XXXL and most others were too tight. I think it was around $130.00.
The important thing is the goggles. Don't skimp there. I bought the Scott 89Xi Turboflo with the light sensitive lense and Quick Straps. Never had any fogging problems.

Good Luck
Dave

zrgrl

I have worn both and love both. If you're going with a full face helmet definately go with an electric shield. I've worn a full face without an electric shield for years and some days its good and some days you cant see anything once it fogs up and freezes over. As far as a snocross helemt, in my opinoin its all about the goggles. Some goggles still fogged up on me, some let in too much air, some aren't wide enough some aren't tall enough, some cover your nose, some dont. Its all a trial and error situation. Good Luck

fusiondan

I made the switch 3 years ago. I first had a HJC. Good helmet. Last year bought an orange Polaris sno-cross. This helmet fits the gooles better (Oakley). Only time a feel a difference as far as weather is when it is below zero, and even then its not that bad. I probablly will not go back till I'm a lot older. I feel visiblity is better and more in tune with my suroundings. Good luck.

jr37

I made the switch to a snocross helmet about 10 years ago. I have a HJC with Scott goggles. They have never fogged, even in 25 degrees below. I will be an old man before I would go back to a full face. Make sure you get the wind deflecter for over you nose, for the very cold days.

acatzl550

I made the switch to a snocross helmet about 10 years ago. I have a HJC with Scott goggles. They have never fogged, even in 25 degrees below. I will be an old man before I would go back to a full face. Make sure you get the wind deflecter for over you nose, for the very cold days.

x2 i have the exact same set up and im perfectly warm and no fogging up

kraven700

Motocross style helmets

I'm thinking about getting a snocross helmet and goggles instead of using my full face. I never get cold riding, even at 30 below, and both of my full face helmets are too warm, and I can't get enough ventilation. How does a snocross compare as far as

Warmth
Ventilation/ability to adjust ventilation
Fogging
Visibility
Price
etc. etc.

Obviously different helmets have different characteristics, but would like to here some of your thoughts.

Going to the snow show in Novi and will be checking some out there, but don't ride enough to justify one super expensive. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've been sledding since 1985

Used a full face helmet until 2003

Switched to a Motocross style with goggles and would rather give up snowmobiling than to go back to that full face helmet, especially the elec face shields, like a dog on a leash.

I use a POLARIS /BELL mainly for the graphics.

No more fogging shields, peripheral vision is improved, goggles come with "snap over" tints, change 'em out in 2 seconds, best set-up I've ever had

I wear glasses/contacts, solved that with a pair of prescription goggles from www.Pro-Vue.com

I wear a balaclava and in addition a neoprene face mask (comes up to just below the eyes) in the 10 and below weather.

jimmyj

Full Face

Going to Togwotee in January. Normally wear a Polaris full face. Any recommendations for the snowcross helmet setup for a guy with glasses? I see the one from Proview above, but is there anything else? I might have problems with getting a google lense due to a high astigmatism.

favoritos

Going to Togwotee in January. Normally wear a Polaris full face. Any recommendations for the snowcross helmet setup for a guy with glasses? I see the one from Proview above, but is there anything else? I might have problems with getting a google lense due to a high astigmatism.

It helps to have the right glasses. I use frames that keep the lenses away from the face. Once you glasses are cool, you need to keep them cool. Body heat will fog your glasses quicker without a decent nosepiece on the frames.

Quickstraps are nice too. Put the goggles on top of your helmet in heavy snow if you are stopped. It keeps the inside of the goggle from building up moisture from the falling snow.

rupert

I think helmet preference depends on the type of riding you do. I have both styles.

I strongly prefer a full face with an electric shield when doing 200 miles per day trail riding in the western UP. The helmet I have blocks alot of noise and wind and I find myself less tired after a full day of riding. I often end up riding when it's below 0 and I wouldn't think twice about using the motocross helmet during these days.

If we are going to do less miles and more active boondocking, I prefer the motorcross/goggles. A motocross helmet is a must when riding out west.

I kind of miss the open face days!

Eye glasses and snowmobiling is a terrible combination. I wore glasses while riding for several years and always had fogging issues. I started wearing contacts strickly for snowmobiling purposes and haven't looked back.

micelist

the pro vues are nidce. I thinik the lenses can be ground for about any prescription..I did switch to contacts though and like that better I think