Help! 06 Crossfire 6

snocat_02

Quick shake down run before heading to Munising on thursday and I'm having problems with the sled.

Last year I was having problems where the sled would just quit. I would havee to let it sit for 10 min or so and it would start back up and run strong. It always runs strong. Before it would die though it seemed like it would try and choke itself out. Then down the trail it would just die.

Tonight it was doing the same thing. Died on me four time in about 2 miles. Finally it started up and I made it the rest of the way home. I noticed that it would start up and then the RPM's would shoot to 3800 then the sled would die. It did this many times.

A. Water in the fuel? At the end of last season we sucked all the gas out of the tank. Did this a few times last season too thinking that was the problem. But it keeps on happening??? Right now i have a full tank of premium with iso in the tank.

Can the problem be with my injectors themselves? Would condensation sit in the injectors without passing through.

This has me stumped and frustrated

lotoftoys

It could be water but i doubt it. I agree with scot b. It is electrical. Something is breaking down thermally and when it cools down it is able to restart until it gets hot again and shutting itself down.time to bring it to the shop. Best of luck, scott

snocat_02

Never changed the fuel filter. To tell you the truth I didn't even know I had a filter. Or just overlooked it whenever I did normal maintenence.

Loose electrical? Going to the injectors itself?

kpagel

a friend of mine had a similar issue and it was the fuel pickups in the bottom of the gas tank i guess the plastic they made them out of would come apart and plug themselves. this was on an 03 efi f7 i thought they fixed that problem tho but it wouldnt hurt to check it out

ilzr6

doubt there is a fuel filter. Maybe a screen on the end of the pickup line in the tank. When it dies.....remove the plugs and see if they are wet. If so, you got gas. Then lay plugs on head (hooked up of course) on the block next to bolts and see if you're getting spark. Got to be one of the two issues. I'm leaning towards what was already said above...electrical. You'll need to do a bit more troubleshooting....good luck man

snocat_02

Plugs on the crossfire are a pain to get to. When it died tonight I pulled the fuel line off the injectors and pulled the sled over a few times and it wasn't pumping any fuel. So im guessing that the plugs were dry.

Im leaning towards the fuel pickups on the bottom of the tank. If i were to take these off, can I put some type of fuel filter on the bottom in order to see if they are actually the problem? Or do I just go spend the $150 bucks on new filters? If anyone has any idea how to troubleshoot this please let me know.

timner

Check the wiring below the coolant reservoir. Mine was rubbing on the metal shelf behind the motor. Wore through the fuel pump wiring and killed the motor randomly. I also thought it was the fuel pickups in the tank until I tested the fuel pump. You can test it with sled off by connecting a 9v to the blk/red wires just to the right of coolant tank. Don't worry if you mix up the polarity as the pump will run in reverse. No harm since the motor is off. Good luck and let us know what you find out

ezra

a friend of mine had a similar issue and it was the fuel pickups in the bottom of the gas tank i guess the plastic they made them out of would come apart and plug themselves. this was on an 03 efi f7 i thought they fixed that problem tho but it wouldnt hurt to check it out

they are called pop off valves and they could be the prob but they usualy make the sled hard to start also