hiring people for work??

mrbb

OK I was just wondering if anyone else is having a hard time anymore hiring anyone to come do work on your home or property!
I don't mean hire employee's(already know thats a issue)

But more about businesses already out there, calling them to hire them, and just not getting any call backs, , without them even knowing the job or money to be made
or those that do call, Tell YOU when they will come by to look and then never show up
the last efw yrs here is been a nightmare of sorts, trying to get anyone to come and look at possible jobs, or just never show up when they say they will

this past weekend for an example

I made appointment for dirt to be delivered, at time of order, I gave them the chance to PICK the dates they can deliver
they called ME< saying be there tomorrow, then never showed up
called at night saying got busy
OK??
will be there tomorrow<
then NEVER showed up again

I mean they PICKED the day to deliver NOT me, they called to say coming, , and then never showed up two days in a row, and now say BE there some time next week, NO date given!

does it seem like folks just cannot be taken at there word any more, NO reliability in anyone showing up for anything

and the kicker to me, is, THEY do the calling and date setting

if they cannot make it, WHY pick that to start with

and THEN when anyone does show up, ALL I hear from locals here is how there BROKE< barely making ends meet and so on.

yet they don;t call back possible jobs, to even find out what they are , as if they just DON"T want to work, but sure cry about not making any money!

I know all my friends down my way all say the same thing, just cannot hire folks anymore and have them show up for the job!

is it like this up in MI, WI and so on, or this a PA problem ??

tourguide

Cant get a concrete guy to even stop by and write me an estimate in SE Michigan, been waiting on the first guy i called since November!! As an employer, my view is the same, good luck getting a response from most vendors... But on the bright side, for all the hard workers out there, we can make some dough while the slouches are sitting in the basement playing video games and smoking up their stimulus money.

hybrid

yep been trying to get my roof done since the summer of 2019
about 20%of people call back to say there booked till next year
i do have a guy now but the job has still not started
was supposed to be done weeks ago
materials showed up
so i have hope it will be done by winter
even if i have to do it myself

buddah2

Local concrete/paving/rock guy did 1/2 our drive (2-track, 3/8 mi long) 3 yrs ago...2 mos later I gave him the go-ahead to finish drive...STILL waiting... (4k$ project)

whitedust

All the tradesmen I know are working flat out no time to fool around make good money lots of work including during the pandemic. These guys drive new trucks have nice homes and toys work hard and play hard. Most small business owners I know have a difficult time finding young talent that wants to work any of the trades. I don’t know why lots of opportunities plenty of work and money for a days work.

wirev

All the tradesmen I know are working flat out no time to fool around make good money lots of work including during the pandemic. These guys drive new trucks have nice homes and toys work hard and play hard. Most small business owners I know have a difficult time finding young talent that wants to work any of the trades. I don’t know why lots of opportunities plenty of work and money for a days work.

They're getting FREE money from the government, Pete. My son has a business and can't find workers.

mrbb

OK so its not just my area then
its sad
as I agree, there si money to be made

I can also appreciate the businesses that at least return a call to say there too busy

but those that don't even other top call back, I find are just missing a lot of opportunities,as you never know what a job is to be ignoring them!

what a changing world were living in! and don't think for the better at all in so many ways!

favoritos

whitedust, you summed it up nicely. Those willing to work are doing well.
It goes back to an old saying I heard plenty as a kid. "Make hay while the sun shines."

I've also found that it is hard to find young talent. That issue has been slowly evolving for years. Hard work is hard. Some are just not cut out to do that much hard work. We used to have an inside joke about how hard people could work based on where/how they grew up. It was generally accurate.

It is tough with contractors that don't show. It's not as easy like the old days. Used to schedule a time and they just showed. The extra phone calls and communication seem like an extra waste of time, but it is becoming the new norm. Every so often I work with some of the old school types that just simply show up on time without saying a thing. (I know that shouldn't be an anomaly.)

Talk is cheap.
Showing up and doing the work speaks volumes. It's a bit ironic, but my go to list is filled with a lot of people that don't talk much.

xcr440

A good friend of mine is a pool builder and he was going into this season having lost the best guy he's had in many years because he branched out to do his own pool building company. He was very concerned about how he would fill the orders he took over the winter. Tried a few "kids" through March and April and ended up with a guy in his 50's that shows up everyday on time, and kicks butt and takes names so to speak. Couldn't be happier. Some of his competitors are struggling to find a guy like that and are now pushing business his way that they can't handle.

euphoric1

Here in wi they continue to pay the stay at home unemployment bonus but now require job search, friday we had someone come in doing job search and I told my wife not to sign anything of confirm the "job" search, why??? because there are atleast 6 places near me hiring, you only need 4 job searches so why was he here??? because we WERENT hiring and he WASNT going back to work. WHAT A JOKE!!

snobuilder

The building trades are sorely missing guys like myself and many others that were trained in a time when getting yelled at til we learned the trade was tolerated. Call it crude, but it weeded out most of the slackers. That all changed about 25 years ago with the new gen of construction managers that spent way more time in school than in actual on the job real life day to day scenarios. Top that with relentless new safety nicks rolling onto the jobsites and I was actually happy to retire early. If you are afraid of heights, blood, sweat and bitter cold,...you probably weren't cut out for the trades.

I wish my knees and shoulders were working better.....there is a ton a money to be made out there .....even for the head down honest guys.

ezra

OK so its not just my area then
its sad
as I agree, there si money to be made

I can also appreciate the businesses that at least return a call to say there too busy

but those that don't even other top call back, I find are just missing a lot of opportunities,as you never know what a job is to be ignoring them!

what a changing world were living in! and don't think for the better at all in so many ways!

I get calls from any one I have not done work for in the past I just tell them I can't take new customers. Been that way for at least 6 yrs now . I will take on some one new if close family ie there kids of one on my customers and they are with in my commute circle .
Just zero need or time to deal with unknowns. I know a lot of guys in my position . Also my subs are same deal they will always blow off new biz to keep there bread and butter happy . Most of them learned that lesson in 09 the hard way