Home security

polarisrider1

Different services, pros and cons.
I have set off more alarms in the big buck gated community homes we work in to get a feel for what works.
Everything from presure pads, cameras, magnetic switches locks, motion sensors the whole gambit. Some services send The cops asap, some phone the home first, then the cops. Some just collect your money each month (a form of robbery) and do nothing.
out here in the sticks my neighbors use cameras and a shotgun approach. I am more of a leave doors unlocked type, one less thing to fix when the robbers break in..
what's your approach?

ezra

I have the 99yr old lady across the street who misses nothing.
se calls me when I send some on to my house for something and she has not seen the truck.
I also have been in many homes calling owner for code and when cant reach them waiting that 15 to 30 min fr the cops to get there.
also fixed many jambs over the yrs . fixed the holes in the vinyl siding when they kick in next to door on vinyl/builtright houses or worse the sheetrock sheathed town homes or Styrofoam under stucco .
I carry a bump set in the truck and can get In to most that forgot to put the key under the mat etc etc in less than 20 sec

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
No worries here. Well, i do have a 12 gauge in the closet n the bedroom, its pretty dusty though.

polarisrider1

I have the 99yr old lady across the street who misses nothing.
se calls me when I send some on to my house for something and she has not seen the truck.
I also have been in many homes calling owner for code and when cant reach them waiting that 15 to 30 min fr the cops to get there.
also fixed many jambs over the yrs . fixed the holes in the vinyl siding when they kick in next to door on vinyl/builtright houses or worse the sheetrock sheathed town homes or Styrofoam under stucco .
I carry a bump set in the truck and can get In to most that forgot to put the key under the mat etc etc in less than 20 sec

Lol, been there. Used to have seniors around in past neighborhoods, out here in "Cajun country " looks as if "deer cameras and shot guns " are the mode of security.

sweeperguy

Lol, been there. Used to have seniors around in past neighborhoods, out here in "Cajun country " looks as if "deer cameras and shot guns " are the mode of security.

The most reliable, and quickest action security. No hours long searches, and setting up perimeters

mrbb

every system has pro's and con's
if a crook wnats in bad enough odds are they will get in
I had several alarm companys set up systems in my gun store yrs back, had 1/4 steel door liners and 3/4 inch re bar gates behind them and then a steel door as a third door on shop, had 3/4 inch r ebar across all windows too.
First time I was robbed, they cut a hole thru the wall( cinderblock wall), second time they came thru the roof, was on a rental building, so I couldn't mod that
third time, they came thru the wall in the store next door to me
NOW< each time I had a SO called top shelf alarm system and brand company working it. First time it tooks cops over an hr to be notified, in which company gave me a free yr of service due to there screw up
Crooks stole junk, so dint't really care LOL, sucked to repair damages, but had insurance so?/

Second time, took cops over 70 minutes to get a call from time alarm went off.
Crooks took a few guns this times(actually took guns they had on law away, as they got caught a few weeks later)

Third time, took cops over an hr to get a call, I was called before they were ?? and got there before the cops did, Cops refused to do a search of the small woods behind shop, and turned out the crooks were laying in them waiting for everyone to leave( as they too got caught a few months later and told this info in court!) Got to love the help of local cops in the wee hr's of the morning, less than ambitious to help!
This time I had a new alarm company, as I fired the first one after getting robbed the second time
Now all these crooks were not pro's by any means, dumb drunks more or less.
I had all large safes I kept all valuable things in, and they never got into any of them
BUT sure a pro like crook could enter a safe, the better the quality of the safe, the more skill they need
SO< My experience here
if you keep things of value at home, MAKE sure you have good insurance that covers EACH item, DON"T count on a basic policy to cover all things
and BUY a good safe, don't be cheap about this either
think about what your putting into it, and why its valuable to you, and then base the price of the safe on whats in it
I sold safes and seen folks go cheap, buy a 1500 dollar safe and then stick 100k in guns in it and feel good??
penny smart dollar stupid??

My smallest safe I have weight over 1500 lbs empty, anyone that can grab it and run, deserves it LOL everything in it is insured too!

as for in home? if you don't have a gun in arms reach, it can be too far away to help you if someone comes crashing in
a gun in a closet,. and a person waking you up that's already in your bed room is useless!
I still rather have a few guns handy than NOT, but that also means they could find them as well

I personally tend to carry a gun most hrs of the day, have one (at least) in a bed holster, that also has a light on it.

I think a pet, a decent sized dog is a great home defense, well at least an alarm deal
Well unless you have a Lab like I had, that could sleep with bombs dropping, a door bell never woke him in the 13 yrs I had him LOL, Guess he knew I was the one with guns! LOL

But Most dogs will make a fuss long before you hear something
if your rural, even better I think will guinea hens, them dam things alert on everything 24/7/356
and they eat ticks too , a bonus maybe pending where you live LOL

Me I have a lot of bears in my yard all hrs of the day and night, few folks even visit me here
and I'm known a local gun nut and have a rep for not being one to be screwed with, due to my past!
PA also has the Doctrine Law, which says I can kill if I feel in danger as in to protect me or my property , LOL
perk of living in Pa NOW, just passe a few yrs back

Last edited:

mezz

A couple of signs: This property Insured by Smith & Wesson. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again. Or, as I posted back in Jan, place 2 Pakistani flags on each corner of your front yard with a HUGE BLACK ISIS Flag in the center. The local police, State Police, Sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA & Homeland Security among other agencies will be watching the house 24/7/365. You will never feel safer & you will save a monthly fee.:rolleyes:-Mezz

snocrazy

That kind of statement - sign can get you in to trouble. "This property Insured by Smith & Wesson. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again"
If you do end up shooting some one breaking in to your home legally defending your self because you felt your life was threatened it might look bad.
When it goes to court that sign can be used to say that you are extreme and looking for a reason to shoot people. It can backfire on you.
Same with Beware of Dog signs. - If your dog bites some one even on your own property, this sign can be used against you. Like you knew your dog was a danger to people. Its a bass ackwards world we live in now a days. Just consider what a lawyer, prosecutor, or judge may interpret the signs you have.

HD cameras are the way to go if you ask me. Make sure the central unit is locked up tight if on site. You can also configure to upload images based on motion detection if you have fast enough of an internet connection. Battery backups if they cut the power. Cell Data plan for backup if they take out your internet.
Most criminals are stupid so this is typically overkill.

mezz

snocrazy, it was a joke my friend, I thought the (roll eyes - sarcastic :rolleyes:) was a give away.-Mezz

snocrazy

ahhhhhhhh - must have killed some of the strong brain cells along with the weak ones over the weekend. I'm still a bit foggy. :)

mrbb

I agree we live in a very screwed up world, where at times I think criminals have more rights than the honest folks
I knew of a guy that got arrested for shooting a guy that raped his wife in his house, due to the fact the rapist was leaving the house when he shot him, and according to the Judge/jury, he was NO longer a threat and shouldn't have been shot?? I call Bull crap, BUT he went to jail over it
I also know a old woman that was found guilty when a burglar was bite by her dog, as she had signs up that read beware of DOG, and they viewed it as her knowing she had a dangerous dog??
Again crazy world we live in
the right lawyer these days can twist about anything up

A third example, and this one makes me laugh a Little
buddy a local Cop, outside of Philly
well he gets a call to a robbery in process, the first week on the job!
he shows up, guy takes off on foot, he give chase
a few blocks into the foot chase, the criminal, turns around and points his had/fingers like a gun at my buddy, WHO THOUGHT he was pointing a real gun and well, he shoots the criminal in the *** LOL(not where he was aiming )
SO< criminal gets to ER< and makes a statement saying YES he pretended to have a gun ?
SO< you think all is OK<
we;ll
yes and no, it was called a legal shooting ONLY due to the criminal stated what he did
BUT the kicker is, this criminal has a personal law suit filed against my buddy, that will come into effect as soon as he retires from the force(or so I am told) as as long as he remains a cop, he is protected, but once he quits retires, he is open to be sued for shooting this man??
Crazy world, where the RIGHT lawyer can do things that MAKE NO common sense!
Old saying, IF you shoot someone, make sure there dead
as dead folks cannot sue!

BUT in today's modern times, that just means, there Family can LOL

megan600

$20 ADT yard sign and stickers from ebay. Then a $12 (for 2) Doberman Alarm from Homedepot. This is the kind you stick on each side of the door frame, and then it either chimes, or alarms when the magnetic field is broken. It is ear piercingly loud! This isn't connected to any alarm company, but if they can stick around through the racket to find out, I guess calling the cops to arrive an hour later ain't gonna do much for me either. Atleast if this happens when I'm home, I will hear it myself and hopefully have time to grab the gun!

snoluver1

I installed the simplisafe system a few months ago and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Super easy to install and reasonably priced. I love the fact that you're not locked into a contract. You can upgrade or downgrade your service any time or cancle it altogether and just use it as an audible alarm. I went with the highest plan which is still only $25 a month. That gets you remote monitoring/interaction of the system through your computer or phone. The only issue I've had with it is the range on the sensors is not quite as good as they claim. They say they are good for 400 ft. I have my out building "wired" which is less than a hundred ft from the house. Every once and a while I get warnings that the sensors out there are not responding. It could be that the steel building interferes with the signal, not sure? It happens very intermittently and all I do is perform a system test and then they work fine again.

favoritos

We have a pretty fancy system that was installed by the previous owners after their very expensive gun collection was stolen. These owners went all out on a high end system which was nice for us. We just needed to get a monitoring company. The system has already stopped burglers twice in the past ten years.

I also like the fact that the system is tied to the smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, and heat sensors. The cost of the monitoring is almost exactly the same as our discount on insurance.

frnash

On a similar note …

Here's a neat little gadget I recently acquired. (This is not an advertisement, just a report of my experience.)

My old doorbell wiring was removed ages ago when a security door was installed. Since then I had an antique "wireless" doorbell that had been failing for months, replacing batteries in both the push button gadget at the front door as well as the interior "bell" housing became an exercise in futility, not to mention a constant nuisance. Even with fresh batteries it's reliability was marginal.

In my increasing state of "antiquity", I'm perambulating with some difficulty. With such difficulties getting about, I am a frequent Amazon customer, and I also have fairly frequent deliveries from my mail order pharmacy.

I don't particularly like having USPS/UPS/FedEx deliveries sitting at my front door for an extended period; that applies doubly for prescription meds — some in gelcaps — left sitting at the front door in the blazing heat of an Arizona summer. On at least one occasion I've had a FedEx driver park his truck across the street, tiptoe up to the front door and discretely place a package there and tiptoe back to his truck — virtually without making a sound, not even the courtesy of a knock at the door. Fortunately I caught that one in the act.

Well enough of that! Here's my solution: The Ring™ Video Doorbell. (It's available from Amazon as well.)

1. Someone rings your doorbell.
  2. The Ring™ Video Doorbell communicates with Ring's servers via your in-home Wi-Fi.
  3. The Ring™ servers send a "push" notification "ring" alert to the smart phone(s) you designate.
  4. Upon receiving the 'push" notification, you "click" it and the Ring™ smart phone app pops up with a video image of the scene at your front door, offering you a chance to either "Accept" or "Deny" (or ignore) the alert.
  5. If you accept the alert, you may immediately have a two-way conversation with the "visitor". (If you deny the alert, that's the same as if you aren't home at all.)
Now wherever you are on the planet, you can be "home" to respond to the doorbell, and no-one will know the difference. (As long as you're in cell phone range.)

Then there's the matter of the surreptitious FedEx driver, who subtly drops a package and tiptoes away. Also, just last week I had an OnTrac© delivery gomer drop a package at my door, then in spite of the prominent sign "Please Use Doorbell", what does he do? Knocks timidly on the door, then departs. Arrgh! Or how about the peddler/prowler or other miscreant? Ahaa! Gotcha! In the absence of a "doorbell ring", the Ring™ Video Doorbell's built-in motion sensors detect any activity at your front door and trigger instant mobile "motion" alerts as well, allowing you to either "Accept" or "Deny" (or ignore) the alert, as above. Accept the alert and confront the interloper by voice!

For an in-house doorbell chime in addition to "ringing" your smart phone, see also the Ring Chime, which plugs into any household 110-220 volt power outlet and connects to the Ring™ Video Doorbell via your in-home WiFi.

Even Ring's packaging is a beautiful piece of engineering, and includes everything you'll need (except an electric drill)!

• Ring Doorbell
  • Micro USB charging cable
  • Mounting bracket and level
  • Screwdriver
  • Screwdriver bit
  • Drill bit
  • Wood screws
  • Masonry screws and anchors
  • Users manual

For $3.00/month (or $30.00/year) you can have all of your alert videos stored "in the cloud" for future reference — including any alerts that you denied, or even missed, (Had your cell phone off, perhaps?) They could be great "evidence" in the event that some criminal activity was captured. Recorded videos are stored for up to 6 months and can be downloaded and/or saved to your device — or to your PC (by logging on to your account at the Ring web site).

"Slicker than snot on a brass doorknob!" ;)

Remember, many burglary attempts begin with a doorbell "ring", nominally to determine if anyone's at home.