How about this one ?

ranman

I have a 2002 POLARIS 500 CLASSIC 2-UP with about 7000 trail miles on it.
A couple of weeks ago I was riding my local trails. On my way home when I got the to trailhead I had to negociate a mound of snow(about 3 feet). I couldn't. When I stopped and looked at my suspension I found that I had 2 not 1 but 2 broken rails. The only thing holding them together was the slides. When I took the suspension out, they both look like they have been cracked for some time. Anyone ever hear of this happining ?

indy_500

Yup, they're just aluminum. Plus, you have longer rails too, on most newer sleds, they have rail strengtheners on them. Is it completly cracked all the way thru? a pic would help as to where they cracked. I know you probably didn't do this, but did you get them powdercoated? Sometimes people powdercoat their aluminum rails and they get heated up too much and weaken them.

ranman

Near the front where the rail narrows. No powdercoat.

Attachments

• Slides.jpg
    Slides.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

ranman

Well, i can't see thumbnails and when i click on the image details i get this message "you do not have permission to perform this action please refresh the page and login before trying again."
I've never had this problem before. Refresh and log back is does not help.

big_bill

If they are cracked where the front torque arm connects to the rails, (the holes above number 29) its due to the torque arm worn where the shafts are. Look at the microfiche, suspension-front torque arm assembly, and you'll see the shafts, numer 11. There are grease fittings for those shafts. I had to replace my front torque arm and both rails a few years ago due to what sounds like the same problem you have. One side of my torque arm cracked at the weld on the top which I think caused mine to wear out where the shafts go.