How Difficult to remove/install shocks?

light200

I have a 2006 Polaris Fusion 900, stock, 4400 miles. My question is are my shocks able to be rebuilt/repaired/recharged? What is the correct term for that? IF so, how hard is it for me to remove them and then replace them after i send them off to be rebuilt Are the fronts easier than the rears? How long will this whole job take? Do i need any special tools?

rakins800

Dan, it's not hard to do.but it will take time. the fronts are easy,you should be able to figure those out just by looking at them. the rears are the same way,just a lot tighter quarters to get at 'em.
I've got a 08 700 dragon. I have had all 4 shocks off in 25 minutes.
check local powersports shops,they should be able to tell you of local shock service people.save the shipping costs. IMO

ezra

not to hard. call dave at "DLS 763 449 9472 he is a site supporter.I saw a post a bit back 4 4 the price of 3 .he has done re valving work for the drag sled droping off th xfire shocks this fall good guy if you get stuck pulling them I am sure he would give you a tip or 2

2buckchuck

To pull the front shocks is 2 bolts a shock. real easy to get them off.

To pull the rear, I like to pull the skid. 4 bolts and the skid is out 2 in the tunnel by the footwell and 2 on the drop bracket. the bolts are connected to a shaft that moves so an impact works best to get them off (you need to hold the other side to stop the shaft from spinning), but it can be done with a socket and box wrench - it just takes a little more work and time.

Having the skid out is a good time to then: 1) Inspect and grease the whole thing, 2) Rplace the slides, 3) Clean up any rust spots forming on the skid.

Not sure of your model Polaris - definitely not a Polaris guy - but you might want to make sure everything is rebuildable before taking them off. You might be looking for new shocks instead of just a rebuild.

Once the skid is out it is a piece of cake to take out the shocks.

zimmbob

They are completely rebuildable. I had an 06 Fusion and DLS did my shocks for me. Fronts are easy, just make sure you have the sled off of the ground (hung, on a lift, jacked up, whatever), or you'll be pinching stuff, dropping the sled on it's belly, all that good stuff.

On the rear, taking the skid out is DEFINITELY the way to go. So much easier to work with, especially when you have to compress it to remove and put back the shocks. Which, by the way, a rachet strap works very well for. And as 2buck says, then you can do all the other maintenance without bustin your knuckles and change the slides right away. It's 1,000 times easier with the skid out.

Oh, and I just happen to have a set of brand new slides for the Fusion if you want them. Already cut down. I put them on mine, then turned around and put an extension kit on it and had to buy longer ones. So they'ved never even seen track-spin. If you want them, I'll sell 'em for $40 shipped. Polaris OEM slides, white.

polarisrider1

I have changed shocks out both skid in and skid out. Skid out is a ton easier. Plus you can grease the skid and inspect for cracks in welds, change slides, inspect all the track clips easier,etc.,etc. Also I recomend you change out your front shock spring to a 225# spring. Polaris part #7041822-067. This will make your sled feel lighter in the front end. If you need help getting the bugs out of the 05 or 06 755 or 900 fusion or RMK e-mail me.