How Do You People Do It in the Northwoods?

packerlandrider

Had to drive to east central Wisconsin this week for a job interview, and after spending 12 hours down there, couldn't wait to get back to the snow covered Keweenaw. Moving the snow is just a small price to pay for living in paradise... (Personally, as long as my schedule isn't too hectic, shoveling snow is one of the most enjoyable chores I know of - good (free?) work out and get to be outside in SNOW.)

garyl62

Great topic..... On a another note, what's a plow driver in UP make? lol Bet they can plow their route blindfolded by end of the year.:D

I've often wondered this too. What's a guy get for a typical driveway and do they charge by the trip or inch?

chords

This year we all have to endure it. Oh sure maybe no snow on the ground but rain and oh yeah COLD. It is April 11. Still early. Heard some loud thunder rumbling early this AM off in the distance vibrating thru the mirrors hangin' in the parlor but prob 40 miles away and lightning last nite after supper. And yesteday afternoon trying to grocery shop and getting kinda edgy cause a Front is rolling thru and I got know flashlite.

When can we expect a nice calm spring day to appear ?

whitedust

I've often wondered this too. What's a guy get for a typical driveway and do they charge by the trip or inch?

No big bucks in snow removal or everyone would be doing it. I pay by contract occurrence must exceed 4" Dec 1 thru March 31th. Others contract snow plowing by the the minute but you can get severely ripped off paying by minute also can get changed for stuck time. I use contractor with 6 wheel dump truck has power to move any amount we get & has load of sand in dump for traction & stucks also has the ability to power down on plow for close scrapes. I use large organization 20 trucks never had a problem always has equipment available small guys single truck will have breakdowns & you can be screwed until equipment repaired been there done that learned my lesson miltiple equipment is key to good service.

j1cousin

I wouldn't recommend moving to Illinois by any means, and I dont plan on living here the rest of my life either. I do know you make good money living here though and when you save enough of it, you can move away and be set for a very long time. The cost of living in Chicago is higher of course, but I am saving, saving, saving so that I dont have to bust *** and one day enjoy what you guys call paradise up there or maybe ill move south to warmer climate. On a different note, I see it's dumping snow there again right now!! Blows my mind one state away is the difference between spring and winter right now. I would love to be up there and be able to go out and go for a ride right now. Nothing beats getting lost up there and hearing pure silence out in the middle of no where. Thats about as good as it gets, well that and sitting by the ocean and listening to the waves crash. I once again have enjoyed reading everyones thoughts so far. Glad everyone has taken the time to fill me in on life in the U.P. and surrounding areas!

Touchy thyroid made me move away from WI and UP, can't tolerate the cold like I use to. Moved to Oregon where I can go to the mountains and play in the snow, or like I am doing this weekend, drive to the ocean and watch the whales migrate. An hour drive to snow and an hour drive to the ocean. Area I live in is at the foothills of the Cascades, very rare to get accumulating snow here.

A few things I do miss about the Midwest...like a good steak and broasted chicken! The cheese sucks out here, already had an order shipped to me from Wisconsin. Otherwise, love the climate here in Oregon. The peas I planted in my garden are already 3" tall, mowed lawn a couple times already and just finished landscaping my yard.

Figured if I do not make a move now, I do not want to have regrets later on in life that I did not expand my horizons. Most things in life are not permanent, can always move again someday, but for now, I am a happy Oregonian. Lots of Midwest people out here, many migrated when the lumber mills closed down in Wisconsin. Others went to U of O and never left the area. Sad to see all the homeless people, really puts things in perspective. Love thy neighbor really needs to be a way of life.

Agreed with others comments on this thread, be happy where you are and appreciate each and every day for one never knows what the future holds.

Maybe I can be a Northwest correspondent for John Dee.com :cool:

HH

attack_06

Touchy thyroid made me move away from WI and UP, can't tolerate the cold like I use to. Moved to Oregon where I can go to the mountains and play in the snow, or like I am doing this weekend, drive to the ocean and watch the whales migrate. An hour drive to snow and an hour drive to the ocean. Area I live in is at the foothills of the Cascades, very rare to get accumulating snow here.

A few things I do miss about the Midwest...like a good steak and broasted chicken! The cheese sucks out here, already had an order shipped to me from Wisconsin. Otherwise, love the climate here in Oregon. The peas I planted in my garden are already 3" tall, mowed lawn a couple times already and just finished landscaping my yard.

Figured if I do not make a move now, I do not want to have regrets later on in life that I did not expand my horizons. Most things in life are not permanent, can always move again someday, but for now, I am a happy Oregonian. Lots of Midwest people out here, many migrated when the lumber mills closed down in Wisconsin. Others went to U of O and never left the area. Sad to see all the homeless people, really puts things in perspective. Love thy neighbor really needs to be a way of life.

Agreed with others comments on this thread, be happy where you are and appreciate each and every day for one never knows what the future holds.

Maybe I can be a Northwest correspondent for John Dee.com :cool:

HH
when and where exactly did u move? how are the jobs situation there? used to deliver oshkosh fire and snow blower trucks to portland ports to be shipped to alaska or russia there in portland or tacoma

when and where exactly did u move? how are the jobs situation there? used to deliver oshkosh fire and snow blower trucks to portland ports to be shipped to alaska or russia there in portland or tacoma

Eugene/Springfield, south central Oregon about 1.5 hrs. south of Portland. This area got hit hard from the Great Recession (lumber, RV business, HP downsizing...) but things are bouncing back. Portland is strong, Eugene has the University of Oregon to keep the economy going. Springfield is a lumber town and when the spotted owl was found nesting in the forests, logging came to a slow down.

Just read an article in a financial paper stating Eugene/Springfield is in the top 10 areas for job and housing growth over the next 5 years.

Best part, is Oregon has no state sales tax! Eugene is very liberal and Springfield is very conservative, I picked Springfield.

HH

elf

Just picked up another 10" of snow here in Duluth and they are calling for 3-6" on Sunday. As I said before, I love winter and love snow but I am tired of it this year. I want 70 degrees and sunshine.

I feel like I am committing a mortal sin by thinking this, let alone writing it, and feel I might regret this next December... But I am tired of winter. I think I turned the corner around April 3rd or 4th. February and March were awesome, lots of snow and it held through the end of March But at this point, I am ready to move on.
I am sick of hearing my furnace run. I just want to open some windows for a few hours.
I am hoping to go golfing.....by Memorial Day.
Anyone wanting to fish Lake of the Woods for the May walleye opener....remember to throw in the ice auger. At this point its not a joke and may be a reality.

whitedust

There are weather boundaries coming north in WI. 1st noticeable snow marker is north of Highway 29 coming north on I39 the real snow starts about Wausau then the next divider is Highway 8 north & snow gets deeper again. Snow gets deeper going north on Highway 17 with deeper snow in Rhinelander then the next boundary is Conover draw a line E/W thru Vilas deepest snow always north of Conover then snow gets deeper again at Lando, then deeper right at Paulding, falls back a bit at BC but gets deeper again 10 miles south of Mass City then your in the traditional LES dumper belt from there north. Going north on Highway 51 thru Minoqua & always gets deeper every mile north of Mercer to Hurley again in the LES dumper zone. 20 Miles east of Phelps around Ski Brule snow depth drops off a cliff big difference between Phelps & Ski Brule as much as 20" in mid winter. The mind blower is the difference in snow in Phelps compared to Eagle River not that far but again at least 20 inch difference by the end of winter. 95 degree days here are few & far between but we do get them & big news when it happens. Memorial Day can be cold or mid 70s at best 4th of July should be low 80s as is most of July then mid August the temp starts down & by Labor Day most people are done with boats & docks for the season. We should have a few night time snow storms in October but no big deal melts right away & leaves should be down by mid October & we are looking for snow for deer hunters & ice for icefishing by Thanksgiving. Trails open in Vilas around Dec 12-15th & sometimes good to go 1st week in Dec but always depends on storm track & jet stream location. You have to exspect snow & ice storms during 1st half of April & you really can't plant flowers until June as frost will kill them. It's colder here plain & simple compared to Chicago & if you don't like cool summer nights, late Spring, early Fall & snow in the winter then stay put the northwoods is NOT for you.:)

blkhwkbob

When it comes to snow "nuts" I suspect I rank up on the list aways. I would not mind snow year round as long as someone else pays the heat bill. Chicago folks, not sure how you do it????? Your just a number in a hamster cage running the tread mill. Gray skies most all the time without the snow. Millions of others on their own agenda. Reminds me of Sim City. I guess if drugs, crime and the feeling of non exsistence is your thing then a big city such as Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis is for you. In the north you still are an individual. Let it snow!!
Get over yourself. Non-existent to who? I didn't realize you were so famous. Have I heard of you? My family, friends, and myself are all I need to make me happy. It is a bonus to be appreciated in your place of work. Does one really need to be known by the masses to have a full life?
I somehow manage to navigate my way around Chicago without crime and drugs affecting me. Most people can if they use their brain.
It can't be any worse than all the drunks up north that don't have much to do at night besides hanging out at bars. And they aren't walking home, either.
I can choose between bout 50 movie theaters, 50 live music venues, 6 pro sports teams, several college sports, about a thousand restaurants, museums, parks, lakes, etc on any given day or night. That sure beats playing darts and pool down at Emma's bar and grill.

polarisrider1

Get over yourself. Non-existent to who? I didn't realize you were so famous. Have I heard of you? My family, friends, and myself are all I need to make me happy. It is a bonus to be appreciated in your place of work. Does one really need to be known by the masses to have a full life?
I somehow manage to navigate my way around Chicago without crime and drugs affecting me. Most people can if they use their brain.
It can't be any worse than all the drunks up north that don't have much to do at night besides hanging out at bars. And they aren't walking home, either.
I can choose between bout 50 movie theaters, 50 live music venues, 6 pro sports teams, several college sports, about a thousand restaurants, museums, parks, lakes, etc on any given day or night. That sure beats playing darts and pool down at Emma's bar and grill.[/QUOtE
LOL, who is Emma? Ilve outside of a city with a half million people, we have it all here to and a place to parknour sleds, boats, bikes. I must of hit a nerve. That's okay, I get nose bleeds over 5 flights up. Life is good.

whitedust

I can choose between bout 50 movie theaters, 50 live music venues, 6 pro sports teams, several college sports, about a thousand restaurants, museums, parks, lakes, etc on any given day or night. That sure beats playing darts and pool down at Emma's bar and grill.

Yeppers no 50 movie theaters, no 50 live music venues, no pro sports teams, no several college sports, no1000s of restaurants, museums, parks, lakes, etc on any given day or night. Not happening here, never will be here you have to make yourself happy with the simple things in life. But we do have several 1,000 lakes, nice snowmobile trails,good hunting & fishing,wildlife birds & bees,quite nights, plenty of stars, satelite TV, internet & many restaurants & museums. Up north NOT the city no comparison if you want all that stuff stay metropolitan never be happy in the northwoods. Do I miss that stuff ?.....Sometimes.... mostly the close by fast food convenience than any of the rest since 17 miles from nearest McDs, Pizza Hut, Subway etc. You have to cook or have your own fast food jerky, beef sticks,cheese & crackers no last second dash to McDs here. But on the high side it is nice to take the Ranger out in the evening catch a few bass & gills come back in watch PV on satelite TV in my fav recliner.:)

polarisrider1

Drift boat fishing for Steelhead as I type. About a dozen deer just crossed the Pine river in front of us. Wild turkeys all around. Life is good. And I have cell signal!

reiley99

I saw this critter on my home from work last year about 10 miles from my house moose.jpg

Attachments

• moose.jpg
    moose.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 20