How many miles did you put on this season?

indy_500

1,850 for me! Pretty good year for me, lots of trips up north to different areas making some great memories. 23 days on a sled. Stayed in Ironwood one trip, 3 trips to St Germain, 1 trip to Eagle River, 1 trip to Ashland, and 1 trip to Bergland this year. Few day trips to ride Shawano langlade Oneida and marathon counties. Majority of my riding was done in Vilas County.

Running some numbers this morning to reflect on my season, man oh man it adds up quick!

-1500 on the new renegade 850
-200 on my old 600 2up
-150 on the little dudes 440 on some local trails (didn’t want to beat up my other sleds)

Between all my sleds and the woman’s sled(s), I guesstimate we burned a good 200 gallons of premium fuel ~$850

3400 miles on the truck and trailer, burned a guesstimated 250 gallons of fuel ~$850

-$2400 spent on lodging (this number is exact)

~$1000 on food

$5000 happened quick, and that doesn’t include oil, parts, gear, trail passes, etc. yikes!

In comparison though, most families take a “warm weather vacation” that costs them about $5000 and only lasts a handful of days, so I guess I’m not doing too bad :)

Last edited:

rph130

About 1000 miles for us. Based out of Presque Isle and primarily rode Vilas, Iron, and Gogebic Counties. Rode 22 days/different trips for the season. Most of it on weekdays to avoid the crowds and when the trails were in great condition. Left the Northwoods yesterday for the trip back to the Chicago house and was sad that the season was over for us.

scoobydoo

Im not sure miles on the sled, but i think i did 7 or 8 trips. Had some great trails overall and real nice rides. Didnt have any big mileage trips and still have some places i like to go and didnt make. Gonna have to hit them on the utv or sled next season

favoritos

Cool topic.

@indy_500 I'm interested how the riding was around Ashland? We drive through there but have not stopped to ride. It was odd to see more snow and less fishing on the bay this year. In fact, I'd say the snow across northern WI looked pretty darn good this season. It was tempting to cut the drive short.

We did a bonus trip last week so the season ended with more miles than normal. Spring riding is generally hit or miss. Decided to give it a shot and rode in hit and miss. One full day of riding in the rain was almost a deal breaker, but the following snow days sure made up for that hiccup. It was the first time I've had snow coming over the windshield on Gogebic.

I'm almost nervous to add up all the dollars. Lodging and gas are big chunks. The tow rig got quite a few miles with almost zero riding at home. Put 4,000 miles each on two of the sleds. Two spare sleds even saw about 1,200 each miles this season. It's fun trying to introduce new people into the sport and we "subsidize" their trips by providing sleds and covering most associated expenses. Had some real troupers this season.

The trip count and overall miles were higher than normal this season. Weather timing helped a lot.

Overall, I'd call it a good season.

Hoosier

About 1800 over 2 trips. First was to the UP in January, with conditions ranging from poor to great. 2nd was to NW Wisconsin in March, which may have been the best overall conditions I've ever ridden in.

Had some plans for the season that didn't pan out. Kids trip didn't happen twice because of conflicts with schedules and then when it all came together they had the rain right before Pres Day. With the guys we were hoping to do either Quebec or South Dakota as a bigger trip. But NW Wisconsin was so good after the big snow that I didn't feel we missed out. Plus it was a lot cheaper.

There is always next year but I'm bummed I didn't get out with my kids at all since they are starting to get older. Good season for riding with my group.

latner

One week in the UP, 1000 miles. When the lower has decent snow, we usually ride there a few times, but the snow just didn't happen again this year.

indy_500

Cool topic.

@indy_500 I'm interested how the riding was around Ashland? We drive through there but have not stopped to ride. It was odd to see more snow and less fishing on the bay this year. In fact, I'd say the snow across northern WI looked pretty darn good this season. It was tempting to cut the drive short.

We did a bonus trip last week so the season ended with more miles than normal. Spring riding is generally hit or miss. Decided to give it a shot and rode in hit and miss. One full day of riding in the rain was almost a deal breaker, but the following snow days sure made up for that hiccup. It was the first time I've had snow coming over the windshield on Gogebic.

I'm almost nervous to add up all the dollars. Lodging and gas are big chunks. The tow rig got quite a few miles with almost zero riding at home. Put 4,000 miles each on two of the sleds. Two spare sleds even saw about 1,200 each miles this season. It's fun trying to introduce new people into the sport and we "subsidize" their trips by providing sleds and covering most associated expenses. Had some real troupers this season.

The trip count and overall miles were higher than normal this season. Weather timing helped a lot.

We stayed in Ashland but trailered over to Moquah. This was after the big rains around Presidents’ Day weekend. We rode north of hwy 2 in Bayfield county in the Valhalla area and was the smoothest ride I’ve ever had. Would love to make another trip back. Pretty far drive for us.

SledTL

Cool topic.

Had some of the best riding ever in the north metro and central MN area and you drove away from it???

mspease

Only about 800 miles this year, mostly around Spooner area, Webb Lake and Minong. Our February UP trip was a bust due to rain. I did put 140 hours on in the groomer! :)

heckler56

Roughly 2,600 miles in 3 trips based out of SW Munising. January trip had rain so we explored forest roads. Last week we had to trailer to the Kingston Plains half the time.

heckler56

Only about 800 miles this year, mostly around Spooner area, Webb Lake and Minong. Our February UP trip was a bust due to rain. I did put 140 hours on in the groomer! :)
Spooner, spent my summers in Birchwood. My father considered becoming a DNR ranger there in 1970.

600_RMK_144

5 trips out to The Black Hills > around 700 miles on the sleds and 8000 on the truck. Only place we laid tracks the entire season as they actually had the best snow season since 2019-2020 (made it out two times that year, the second being the VERY FIRST time I had my kid out there on his little 340. HA!). It was absolutely amazing. Point your sled at 3-4ft drifts next to the trail and pin it. Tired of riding the trails? > Go ride the trees on either side. First time I've EVER been able to do a trip out there prior to the New Year + we even got a bonus trip in over Spring Break (also a first) while the girls were in Florida. CRAZY GOOD SEASON! If they were all like this, sled sales would be thru the roof every year!

On a side note, it was the most fun I've personally had on a sled in several years. With the kid finally having a full blown mtn. sled, he could actually follow dad up into the trees. I've been waiting for this moment for a long, long time (17yrs last week actually). He did a great job! Best riding partner I could have ever hoped for (as if he ever had a choice in the matter. LOL). Could not have been better timing with his first mtn. sled aligning with an epic snow season in our favorite place to ride. With The Hills only having a season like this every 5-6yrs, I'm nearly certain next season we will be hitting the real mountains in WY or CO. I'm getting to old for that, my lungs can't handle the elevation!!!!

The pic doesn't do justice to the size of the rut we had to dig out of. Apparently he can't follow me everywhere just yet. LOL! That was another first... First time I've ever had to pull out the Avi shovel to dig out a sled in The Hills!!!

Attachments

• Cement Ridge.jpg
    Cement Ridge.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • Rock Formation.jpg
    Rock Formation.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
  • Dances with Wolves.jpg
    Dances with Wolves.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 56
  • Hole.jpg
    Hole.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 55
  • Black Fox.jpg
    Black Fox.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

snoden

Average year for my group, 2400 miles, 2 trips with 12 days of riding. One trip in the Western UP and the other in the Central/ Eastern UP. Approximately $800 in sled fuel, $300 in diesel fuel (X4 guys), $600 per guy for lodging and $175 per guy for food. We don't do bars or restaurants for food, take a lunch on the sled and fire up the traeger at the cabin for dinners.

pclark

A little over 1200 miles right from my place in MW. No trailering, just pick a nice route and get on the trail by 8:30am, usually home before 4pm, being older I try and get my old body off the trails for the younger riders to enjoy later and on the weekends. It was a great winter up here and only once did we not have good trails and I was in Jamaica that week, go figure. Looks like the season will be open until Friday 3/31 this year so it is possible for one last ride.

elf

5 trips out to The Black Hills > around 700 miles on the sleds and 8000 on the truck. Only place we laid tracks the entire season as they actually had the best snow season since 2019-2020 (made it out two times that year, the second being the VERY FIRST time I had my kid out there on his little 340. HA!). It was absolutely amazing. Point your sled at 3-4ft drifts next to the trail and pin it. Tired of riding the trails? > Go ride the trees on either side. First time I've EVER been able to do a trip out there prior to the New Year + we even got a bonus trip in over Spring Break (also a first) while the girls were in Florida. CRAZY GOOD SEASON! If they were all like this, sled sales would be thru the roof every year!

On a side note, it was the most fun I've personally had on a sled in several years. With the kid finally having a full blown mtn. sled, he could actually follow dad up into the trees. I've been waiting for this moment for a long, long time (17yrs last week actually). He did a great job! Best riding partner I could have ever hoped for (as if he ever had a choice in the matter. LOL). Could not have been better timing with his first mtn. sled aligning with an epic snow season in our favorite place to ride. With The Hills only having a season like this every 5-6yrs, I'm nearly certain next season we will be hitting the real mountains in WY or CO. I'm getting to old for that, my lungs can't handle the elevation!!!!

The pic doesn't do justice to the size of the rut we had to dig out of. Apparently he can't follow me everywhere just yet. LOL! That was another first... First time I've ever had to pull out the Avi shovel to dig out a sled in The Hills!!!
The stucks get to be a lot more work when the kids are on mtn sleds. Last year in West Yellowstone a couple of them had me worried when it was just my son and I. He feels we'll eventually dig out of anything, and he's probably right, but my tired old butt would be fine avoiding some of them.

elf

I ended the year at about 1200 miles on my sled, pretty equally split between just riding from home and from the cabin. Fantastic conditions in both spots. Then there was also maybe 200 miles in Utah.

dfattack

looks fun!

we went out to island park, Idaho / west yellowstone for the first time in my life this year and looks like we should try the black hills at least once too. Thanks for sharing