how many miles per tank of oil?

02edgehead

just curios how many miles people are getting before the oil light comes on. i always would top off every day and i knew i could get 350 miles. i just got back from a weekend trip and wanted to see how many miles i could get. i got 520 so far and still no oil light. looks to have quite a bit of oil left too. i am running an 02 polaris edge x 600 with 14300 miles on it. not complaining about the oil use thats for sure.

alwaysright

never really tested it for the tank but my 07 cfi 600 gets 180/qt roughly, some more some less depending on my driving style.

Banjo Man

I would say you are doing pretty good getting 580 without adding oil on a Poo 600. Considering last weekend was not all that cold.

indy_500

That is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too lean. I get 200 miles before my oil light comes on. 05 xc sp 500. Of course that is flipper to the bar 99% of the time but for a carbed liberty 520 is not good. The tank I believe is 2.5-3 quarts. 50:1 is the LEANEST I'd run it. Say you put on 520 miles and used 50 gallons (assuming you got 10.4 mpg) 50:1 ratio would require 4 quarts, which your sled cannot hold. I have 3700 miles on this year and just finished off my 8th gallon of oil (32 qts total) or 115 miles a quart which is about right for these motors.

polarisrider1

That is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too lean. I get 200 miles before my oil light comes on. 05 xc sp 500. Of course that is flipper to the bar 99% of the time but for a carbed liberty 520 is not good. The tank I believe is 2.5-3 quarts. 50:1 is the LEANEST I'd run it. Say you put on 520 miles and used 50 gallons (assuming you got 10.4 mpg) 50:1 ratio would require 4 quarts, which your sled cannot hold. I have 3700 miles on this year and just finished off my 8th gallon of oil (32 qts total) or 115 miles a quart which is about right for these motors.

Numbers indy presents looks good to me. I suspect oil pump is not working correctly or edgehead forgot about filling tank. Seems that with that little oil a melt down is near. Also check the oil filter that is in line if you have one.

boardmandan

My 05 MXZ800 uses approximately 1 qt every 100 miles, which is 40:1. As long as I top off every day, the light never comes on.

02edgehead

oil light finally came on at 525 miles. took about 3 quarts to fill. so if my math is right that comes to 173 miles to a quart. alwaysright says he gets 180 to a quart so this falls in that area. i would think that if it was running to lean that it wouldnt have lasted 14300 miles?

Last edited:

02edgehead

only 200 miles to a tank of oil??? i have never had a sled i couldnt get 300+ to a tank. my buddy has a yamaha srx700 and gets 350+ before the light comes on and he rides hard.

whitedust

I always drew the line at about 115 -120 miles per quart with my 800 doos but they all blew anyway & that is why I only buy 4s now.lol

reiley99

Last week I went though a tank of gas and a quart of oil in 30 miles worked the little 600 pretty hard though

milkmilkmilk

I've never run a tank down enough to get the light on (I don't like to chance it lol) but I usually am down to the add quart line after 100 miles +/-.
This is on a VES carbed liberty 600.

James Buckner

My Tundra does not have a low oil light. I check oil often and top it off. We put a little oil in the tank to extend fuel life and have some oil if the auto lube should fail. 3oz in a five gallon tank makes about 200:1 and will save an engine using low output for a time. We check chain case oil at the start of each season and the watch out for any oil spots on the snow to indicate any loss.
I agree one should be averaging about 40:1 oil use or make adjustments to do so.