How many trips planned and where?

SledTL

Nope not seeing that warmest temp is 32 all snow then subzero comes in cold for next 10 days. Weather channel and JD backs up that forecast currently. I’m in western Racine county and joined club in Walworth county and we are colder than Milwaukee temp which is usually recorded at Mitchell Field which is right on the lake. Not sure temp at Mitchell but won’t affect areas away from lake. Fox Milwaukee talking
blizzard conditions. We will see but looks good for snow now.
Gotta get those few days of riding in when its there! Weather channel says 40 starting the 28th Indy isnt wrong.....

indy_500

Idk I’m seeing low of 16 high of 33 here on 28th. 🤷‍♂️
I see your in Waterford… I typed in Waterford on weather.com, tried attaching pic but too large. Here’s the High temps from their 10 day forecast:

Weds 28: 33 High
Thur 29: 40 High
Fri 30: 41 High
Sat 31: 41 High
Sun 1: 39 High
Mon 2: 36 High

Not trying to burst your bubble, but without a deep month long freeze beforehand, the trails won’t be rideable after 5 days of above freezing temps in Southern Wisco… It also shows 40%+ chance of rain majority of those days.

Last edited:

mezz

We are supposed to be cold cold & could possibly end up with a pile of LES accumulation in the next week or more. The Keweenaw is close enough for you, "We'll keep a light on for ya!" :cool:

whitedust

I see your in Waterford… I typed in Waterford on weather.com, tried attaching pic but too large. Here’s the H/L temps from their 10 day forecast:

Not trying to burst your bubble, but without a deep month long freeze beforehand, the trails won’t be rideable after 5 days of above freezing temps in Southern Wisco… It also shows 40%+ chance of rain majority of those days.
I’m here and not seeing that at all forecast is snow and bitter cold usually big storm drags down cold air here. Fox River and Buena lake where I live is frozen solid 20 degrees today for a high first sunny day in something like 15 plus days. Maybe your source is forecasting the low to go way north of us dragging up warm air. I understood there are conflicting models so maybe that’s it. Currently local forecast and graphics very similar to Johns. This storm definitely worth tracking for southeastern WI been along time for a good old fashion snow storm. Imo no right or wrong until the storm hits so I’m interested in any forecast you have! I’m hoping for snow and cold here but always subject to change.

old abe

I see your in Waterford… I typed in Waterford on weather.com, tried attaching pic but too large. Here’s the H/L temps from their 10 day forecast:

Perhaps? However I prefer John's forecast! The wind is going to be the big concerning factor with the forecast storm snowfall amounts! Anywhere from BARE ground to who knows how many feet Drifts! 36 hours of very high sustained winds, gusts 45 to 50 mph! That is very dangerous, disastrous, blizzard conditions!

dfattack

I hope I'm wrong but whenever there is so much hype from all sources it ends up being a bust. Thats what has me concerned. I hate thinking that way but it's been the case many many times in the last several years.

whitedust

I hope I'm wrong but whenever there is so much hype from all sources it ends up being a bust. Thats what has me concerned. I hate thinking that way but it's been the case many many times in the last several years.
Winter storm watch right now saying confidence is high this one is on the way. Low currently in the Gulf of Alaska so a long way off Idk how they know since so far away but all locals saying the same heavy snow and blizzard conditions coming Thursday thru Saturday morning. I have the most confidence in JD forecast so will be tracking Snow Central for this storm.

indy_500

I’m here and not seeing that at all forecast is snow and bitter cold usually big storm drags down cold air here. Fox River and Buena lake where I live is frozen solid 20 degrees today for a high first sunny day in something like 15 plus days. Maybe your source is forecasting the low to go way north of us dragging up warm air. I understood there are conflicting models so maybe that’s it. Currently local forecast and graphics very similar to Johns. This storm definitely worth tracking for southeastern WI been along time for a good old fashion snow storm. Imo no right or wrong until the storm hits so I’m interested in any forecast you have! I’m hoping for snow and cold here but always subject to change.
I’m not speaking on if the storm will hit you or not, track north or south etc, I’m talking about the weather outlook 5 days after the storm. Keep in mind those temps I posted are for *NEXT* week. No sense in hoping to pile up 2 feet of snow in southern WI THIS week for a lot of it to melt NEXT week, when it’s 40s and rain. I’m well aware it will be bitterly cold for the next 6 days. After that, is the problem for the southern half the state.

whitedust

I’m not speaking on if the storm will hit you or not, track north or south etc, I’m talking about the weather outlook 5 days after the storm. Keep in mind those temps I posted are for *NEXT* week. No sense in hoping to pile up 2 feet of snow in southern WI THIS week for a lot of it to melt NEXT week, when it’s 40s and rain. I’m well aware it will be bitterly cold for the next 6 days. After that, is the problem for the southern half the state.
Any riding I can get in here is a bonus. If it warms up I’ll cross that bridge when it happens it’s still early I’ll be in UP end of January so I’ll take what Mother Nature gives us south and north. It’s like dating and playing the field enjoy each date for the good times of the moment. I’m pretty much booked until February this season so far. It always snows Vilas and north so I’m not worried looks like a great season coming especially since no riding down here last season.

bayfly

We managed to get a quick trip in on Tuesday, December 27 with one UP rider newbie. I think he will be coming along on future trips. The snow and trails were incredible. This is on trail 5 south of Big Bay.

Attachments

• BE22A365-2147-44BD-9A07-C7C4D36BD2A5.jpeg
    BE22A365-2147-44BD-9A07-C7C4D36BD2A5.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 24

bayfly

I'm sure the people you are introducing to the U.P. will be in awe, early to mid 90's was first time for me, was stationed in Mercer had to head north to chase the snow, ended up in Mass City and the rest was history! I never tire of the scenery, the trails, the stops and the genuine people in the U.P. In fact, this will be the first year I have ever purchased a Wisconsin trail pass, Whitedust and I have become good friends, live pretty close to one another and besides our trip in January to the U.P. with dfattack and his son, venturenorth and hopefully hooking up with goofy600. He wants to show me the trails west of here and hopefully get some day trips in as well. I agree the unknowns can be a barrier but almost guaranteed once they have ridden there, they will definitely be going back!!
Just a follow up note on the UP first timers that we’ve taken out so far this season. Of the 4 newbies brought up, every one of them can hardly wait to go back. One of the 4 bought a new sled already for our UP trip next week. One other was at the dealer the day after we returned from our last trip, looking to upgrade his sled. The last one we took this past weekend was the wife of a buddy who rides with us occasionally. She hadn’t ridden in 10+ years. At the end of our trip today, her husband was looking into a new trail sled for her. Pretty funny that 3 out of 4 could be buying new sleds after just one trip, and they all want to be riding the UP.

Last edited: