How to avoid the roads?

tomcat

Hi all!

Looking at heading to the northwoods later this week for a few days to ride. I've been up several times and have mostly lucked out on the snowcover when I end up on a trail going along the side of the road for several miles. I'm like to plan a route this late in the year to avoid the road trails. Anyway to tell from the trail map or app which trails run along the shoulder? from my recollection its been very hard to differentiate and you don't really know until your on them.

Thanks

wisco-mb

Which county? Some county maps will list the road routes.
Otherwise, for the trails that run part of the road, you could use Polaris ride command and zoom in to look. Some trails do a good job running the ditch on those, but others you are forced to ride on the road.
If you tell us which county/area, I'm sure others can give some guidance.

tomcat

Leaning towards Hayward/cable area. Open to suggestions. Assuming Haywards probably in better shape than a lot of areas. Only be able to ride a day and a half. Suggestions on a couple 100-150 mile loops that avoid the roads? Probably start early afternoon Thursday and head home on Saturday.

indy_500

Seeing lots of good reports from the namekagon, clam lake, Drummond area in the last day or 2. Don’t have much experience in that area, just offering what I’ve been reading!

chunk06

If you like low traffic go from Drummond north, you won't be disappointed. There are some roads in the Cable area. Although Cable is not really a big snowmobile town there is a bar there called The Portage, their burger is awesome. It's not really a snowmobile bar but the owner was very nice and welcoming.

wisco-mb

Agreed on the Portage bar! They are little more expensive but very nice owner. I would love to see it in the summer time with the live music.
Yes, both routes(north and south) into Cable require road runs.
I would try to stay outside of the towns now. Lot of lodging options. Lakewoods is nice. Some really good route options out of there. 53N is very scenic. All of the Seeley hills area is nice.
Trail 6, Northwest of Drummond is a road run. Avoid that one.

tomcat

Where does 53N run out of? Namakagon? I cant find it on the app. I do see an interstate 53 west of Hayward with a trail 35 running along it. Also what trails or towns are the Seeley hills?
Thx

wisco-mb

Correct, directly north of Namekagon.
Seeley is half way between Hayward and Cable. Basically all those loop trails east of there.