How to clean a heavy smokers home for fresh paint?

rmk4ever

I'm in the business of taking homes & making them handicapped accessible. The next project I have is a small home 1100 sq. Ft. This home has not been painted since 93, heavy smokers have lived there up until last July. Is TSP my best Chen for this? Or is there something else?

skidont

kilz primer paint is pretty good to cover the stains and odor , used it in all public housing units we had to ready for next person

chunk06

Depending on the finish of the wall, clean heavy stains then prime with a shellac primer like B.I.N Try in small area, if that doesn't work try oil based primer. Stained houses are never the same and sometimes different things work better then others. Houses ruined by dogs and cats can be worse yet!

chords

TSP is a good choice. Scrub / Wash with rag or sponge changing bucket often and then wipe over with a wet rinse towel. Dry.

A quick # 100 grit go over, and wet towel wipe , air dry and prime or paint. Ba Da Bing

rmk4ever

Thanks guys, I've been using very hot tsp w water and scrubbing with a brush on a pole. I did the kitchen and living room twice. Slow but seems to be working. The smell is quite disturbing though.

ezra

The best option is to use an alkyd or oil primer to block the heavy stains. A second coat of primer should be rolled or sprayed .in heavy smoke I always pull carpet and vinyl spray everything .
if hardwood floors we just lightly tape floors cuz they will be sanded and oil finish over them then final high quality latex over walls after some oil sprayed over trim/ cabs in and out /closets/doors .
we rarely have washed first . unless sooty from a house fire sort of thing.
U get gigs from fiduciary's taking care of old peoples estates? I have a few of them in my client list. the worst is working in the dementia peoples homes

rmk4ever

Yea Ezra, this place is close to the train tracks, & train rolls thru town 4 times a day & traffic piles up lots of trucks. So I think most of crap on walls is diesel. Yep I'm pulling all carpet & cleaning ducts.