Hunter ceiling fan and light question

jjj70095

In my master bedroom, the fan is not working. It is a Hunter brand. The fan and light are attached to a one foot pole (down rod) from the ceiling.
Can one install a new fan/light kit to the existing drop down gold pole from ceiling? The fan and light are controlled by an electrical outlet.

Last edited:

m8man

maybe..........i'd say try to get the same brand/style and that will help......if it's a real long pole, it may have an adapter on it so save that it you work on it. otherwise some fans come with short pole's on them for a little drop down. i put all hunter fans in my house about a year ago but have the ceiling hugger types.

wiscrev

If it is dual outlet, try plugging it into the other one. Usually one receptacle is hot and the other controlled by the switch. Hate them, but that's what's in my house.

indy_500

maybe..........i'd say try to get the same brand/style and that will help......if it's a real long pole, it may have an adapter on it so save that it you work on it. otherwise some fans come with short pole's on them for a little drop down. i put all hunter fans in my house about a year ago but have the ceiling hugger types.
What he said, if you currently have Hunter I’d suggest getting another Hunter as the likelihood of it accepting the same downrod is higher… (downrods are fairly cheap though, especially if you wanted to change the color) Also, If you’re looking at a fan that says flush mount, that means it hugs the ceiling and will NOT accept any form of downrod whatsoever.

whitedust

Maybe if the connector plugs are the same. Just remember the longer the pole the chances of imbalance are probable and you will need to weight and balance. FJB has ceiling fans on his energy hit list and regulations so expect price increases.

mezz

Most fans are sold application specific, ceilings that are either vaulted or high ceilings would use the drop pole, flush mount are for lower flat ceilings. Hunter fans are top of the line. By what you describe you could very well have a power source issue if both the light & fan are no longer working. These fans can normally run steady for years before they quit. I don't have Hunter, but I have a few that have been running constantly for 20 years & the only time they get shut off is to clean them & change the rotation direction for summer or winter use.

mezz

Then I would say in all likelyhood the fan motor is burned out. Time to replace it & IMO you might as well change the whole thing, unless you can get one that will fit the current light fixture. That may be a crap shoot considering its age though.

goofy600

One thing I had happen once it there is a small capacitor or something like that inside that I had to replace as mine started running slower. Not in the motor but in the mounting area.

jjj70095

I am going to get a new fan/light kit. My electric guy wants $300 for the labor to replace the old item with the new fan/light. You think that is too high?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to get a new fan/light kit. My electric guy wants $300 for the labor to replace the old item with the new fan/light. You think that is too high?
Depends on where you live. Chicago? Sounds about right. Elsewhere? Sounds a little bit much. I've installed two of ours and I'm not an electrician. Take your time, follow the directions, you can do this! (Remember to kill the power/circuit breaker before you begin.)

whitedust

Yep way too much buy a new fan and install it yourself it’s not difficult just wire nuts to the same existing wiring and fan assembly is easy peasy. You can do this