Hunting Gray Wolf

D

Deleted member 10829

I haven't heard anything about it, but from what I hear about wolves up there, it is needed. Below is a pic from near Merrill, WI from this year's hunt. The hunter is 6'1" and the wolf weighed 165 pounds!

Wolf.jpg

Limitz

I got that one too. Did you see the black wolf that was shot mspease or not if not i will try and get a pic for everybody it huge almost looks like a bear.

D

Deleted member 10829

I have not seen that one but would love to. See what you can do. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 10829

Wow, I didn't realize they got so big! Think they do any damage to the deer herd? Any idea where that one was shot?

Limitz

North of Rosholt 212lbs. They total hurt the dear heard. I think the state of Wi is quota 116 to be shot and I think they are over 100 already I could be mistaken.

polarisxcsp

Wow, those are huge! A friend of mine has a cabin in Ralph, MI and he seen two different ones in one day while deer hunting

Limitz

A buddy of mine has a tag and has not seen anything yet. They are had to hunt if you haven't done it before.

Limitz

yea i think you have better luck trapping them then you do hunting them. All though it is legal to hunt them at night. So if a person could get in a area where they seen them before they might have a good chance at one.

tman

North of Rosholt 212lbs.

I call BS.

It would be very rare for a wolf to weigh that much. They are a predator of deer and do not hurt the herd anymore than cars or hunters. I think there is still way over a million deer in Wisconsin after harvesting 400 and some thousand this season. Plenty of meat for all, I didn't harvest one this year and, I don't want to go out and shoot a wolf. I don't think there should be a season just yet on wolves, let them be.

Limitz

I think they are useless and I hope we kill them off. We don't need them around here. That pic I got says it all if you look at the head and snout on that thing. If you seen any other pics of wolves you can see the difference. And I would love to shot one, I think the mount would be awesome but I didn't a draw a tag for one this year. Hopefuly next year.

jr37

I have woods on 2 sides of the house and across the road. I have seen a wolf in my back yard. I have 2 young boys that like to be outside. I don't need a license/ permit, next time I see one in my yard it will leave will a shell in it.

misty_pines

That pic of the black wolf at a reported 212 lbs doesn't seem or look right, but with the internet these days, who knows? I think it is a good thing they finally have a season on wolves in MN and WI. They are a very intelligent and pretty cool animals, but there are thousands of them in MN and WI and their numbers continue to increase. The hunting season is only allowing I believe a max of 201 wolves to be harvested in WI and I believe a max of 253 in MN. It won't do much to the overall wolf population but it is a start to a reasonable means of management of them.

Limitz

That's so true misty_pines the animals are cool but everybody has to realize that they mutiply in many numbers they have a litter just like a dog. Some people may say that it don't hurt the deer herd population but just think a wolf has 5 to 6 little ones and a deer has only on average two little ones. So what is doing to the deer herd all the wolves have to eat right. I think WI and MN were smart for opening up a season it's just like anything else when the number over populate you have to do something about it.

jr37

Tha story I got on that big black wolf is that it is legit, but that it was shot in Canada.

Limitz, where do you live? I'm between Mosinee and Marathon, little closer to Marathon.