Hunting Gray Wolf

timo

mpease:
i had this same picture emailed to me from a good friend who had it emailed to him from a friend that knows this guy. apparently he works for the dnr and with this picture I got from him was another picture of this wolf and a huge ten pointer he shot a few minutes after this wolf. they were both laying in the cab of a polaris rzr. they also confirmed what you said it was shot in merrril.

I haven't heard anything about it, but from what I hear about wolves up there, it is needed. Below is a pic from near Merrill, WI from this year's hunt. The hunter is 6'1" and the wolf weighed 165 pounds!

View attachment 36002

whitedust

North of Rosholt 212lbs. They total hurt the dear heard. I think the state of Wi is quota 116 to be shot and I think they are over 100 already I could be mistaken.

DNR watching the kill count carefully & already shut down the wolf hunting in a few WI counties. Hunters have to check the website before they go hunting so they know the count where they are hunting.

D

Deleted member 10829

mpease:
i had this same picture emailed to me from a good friend who had it emailed to him from a friend that knows this guy. apparently he works for the dnr and with this picture I got from him was another picture of this wolf and a huge ten pointer he shot a few minutes after this wolf. they were both laying in the cab of a polaris rzr. they also confirmed what you said it was shot in merrril.

timo,

That's good to know cuz sometimes you just don't know for sure if they are real. Thanks!

anonomoose

Nice pic of a bear with a wolf's head....paws and hair are dead give away...bear paws don't look like wolf paws at all.

Michigan is still dilly dallying with a hunt and any real management.

Tman....wolves are in no danger of being exterminated at least in the midwest! Compare the numbers....Michigan has at least 1000 in the Upper and when you compare Denali National park in Alaska with over a million acres and no boarders, the official count there is 58 wolves. Lots of moose to eat up there and not very many in Michigan....whatcha think those things will gobble up?

Also wolves will just kill...and when you get into yarding situations which deer in deep snow areas prefer, they can literally clean out a deer herd that is yarded in deep snow. Some say they kill for the opportunity and will come back to eat what they kill, but it is hard to know that exactly.

In Alaska wolves kill and don't eat all the time. And while they do pick out the weakest normally, when you put them in a deer herd they can do a bunch of damage in short order under the right snow conditions.

Even in Isle Royal, the "great test" of moose and wolves, they are steadily eating themselves out of food stock. (do you REALLY believe the moose are dying from flea infestations???)

While I have no doubt that the "grand scheme" was to have a predator for the reintroduction of moose in Michigan, the moose have not exploded, have not begun to eat themselves out of house or home, and a couple dozen wolves would have been enough to control our fragile moose population.

Sadly there is a big contingent of do gooders who keep pushing hard at sound management and think that wolves should still be totally protected and to spread across the country as they were at the time the Pilgrims landed. And while the wolves were first being encouraged to expand there was solid help from the public to let them expand, more recent evidence is as these animals do what they were designed to do, killing wildlife and family dogs out hunting....the tide has turned and many now see them as threats...which was exactly the way it was back in the 1800's before they were protected.

They are prolific breeders under the right conditions and are in no danger now of becoming eradicated.

misty_pines

mpease:

From what I can tell, this information is correct except that the wolf actually weighed 95 or 98 lbs, not 165 lbs. According to what I found, "Adrian P. Wydeven; Carnivore Ecologist;Wisconsin Department of Natrual Resources is the source of the facts about the 98 pounder."

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2012/12/21/big-wolf-just-95lbs/

http://coyotes-wolves-cougars.blogspot.com/2012/12/accurate-and-confirmed-information-has.html

m8man

I have been scared shi%$#** by wolves before... I had one 20 feet from me staring me down on my property and it would not budge, it seemed to look right through me. Now I have went out and purchased a couple firearms that are more capable than my 12 guage. I have a 10 yr old and a 5 yr old who play outside. If I see another it will be dead. They are useless and cause trouble. I will not hesitate to give one a third eye. A good friend of mine had his dog surrounded on a table in Chassell and when he yelled at them to scram they went after him. He now carries a sidearm.

m8man

durphee

I am wondering if anyone on here can give me info on the wolf hunt and/ or just general info on wolves? I am a Professor of Environmental Biology and many students have interests in wolves. Any info would help, especially first hand experiences. Please don' t think this is a anti hunt campaign, wildlife needs population control. Feel free to post or PM me.

rtrypwr

If you want more info on the wolf hunt in WI you should contact the nearest wildlife biologist at the WI DNR they will be more than happy to discuss the season and information they have with you durphee. The WI DNR is very approachable and the passion of its' employees for what they do is astonishing. PM me if you want direct contacts as I could probably get those for you, but just going to the WI DNR website should provide you with contact infor.