Votes: 5 7.4%

Votes: 7 10.3%

Votes: 5 7.4%

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 10 (Love It)

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

j1cousin

I must say, I make it a point to stop in Hurley every year when snowmobiling! Is this not like a cold climate mini vegas or what?! What are your thoughts on this place?! I have many of stories of this place, yet no one seems to ever talk about this place. What gives?

jr37

That's most certainly true!!! Is there any other cities in the U.P. that are similar to Hurley?

NO! Thank God! No!

To each their own. When I was 22, Hurley was cool. Beer and boobs, what more could a young, single guy want. Now I would rather stay away from that kind of atmosphere. I don't drink and ride and I don't need to go see the girls anymore.

whitedust

Hurley started with miners & lumberjacks blowing off steam now it's snowmobilers & skiers ....it is what it is.

snoluver1

X3! Never been, nor do I have any desire to. Sledding money and time is way to hard to come by to waste it sitting in a bar looking at a worn out, half toothless hag with stretch marks. LOL.

srt20

X3! Never been, nor do I have any desire to. Sledding money and time is way to hard to come by to waste it sitting in a bar looking at a worn out, half toothless hag with stretch marks. LOL.

Hey, that's somebody's daughter, or wife your talking about......

Don't discriminate just because she might be a little rough. Haha

- - - Updated - - -

I have been to Hurley, and it's fun if you are wanting to tear it up. If you want to do some serious riding, stay away from downtown.

I don't go there much any more. To many people. Same for most all of Vilas county for me.

snoduke88

Have funny stories to tell. Three guys were standing outside gateway in mercer and were on their webcam and talking to one guys wife on cellphone, wife saw them on web cam. After guys got done talking to wives they were talking and one of them said they had time to get to Huley. Cell phone rang and wife said not to go to Huley. They didn't Know there was Mic on web cam LOL

renegade

When I was younger Hurley could not be beat for a good time. If you ever went to the Red Light Rally in the early nineties it was a whole lot differant than it is now. Every bar was packed, everyone having a good time, and sleds used to drive up and down silver street, and no bars were for sale! Lol But its not anywhere near that now, and it really doesn't make a differance to me now anyway. The reason I love the town is its history. Once I bought a place in the area and got to know the locals and learned about the history, it was fascinating to see all the old buildings and how the upstairs were constructed for prostitution, the hidden compartments for booze, and the hidden basement bars for use during prohibition.(Some still get used for after hours parties) You can still see the alarm button at Dawns never inn to warn of raids. Not to mention the Mahogany back bar there too! Or check out the table made of old poker chips and confiscated weighted die used for the illegal gambling that took place back in the day. The likes of Capone and Dillinger used to go to Hurley on vacations! J Edgar Hoover, founder of the FBI admits he could never do anything to stop the goings on in Hurley, he would lock the saloons up and as soon as the agents where on the train the locks would be cut. It's not much differant then Deadwood or any other mining town, just not as famous, and not quit as old. But this is why I love it. Its a cool town with a colorful history. I gave it a 10.

polarisrider1

not even remotely like a mini Vegas. Been to Hurley one entire evening with the "boys", went to each and every bar they had. Was not impressed at all. Cheap perfumed and glitter covered skanks. Nasty old divorcies working to feed there many kids. To me it was borderline freak show in a couple of those places, but hey Grandma needs to pay the rent to.... I guess??? . See more at the beaches of Grand Haven. To each there own. Snow is to thin there anyways.

michaeladams

if you've never been there then how do you know about the toothless women?

- - - Updated - - -

not even remotely like a mini Vegas. Been to Hurley one entire evening with the "boys", went to each and every bar they had. Was not impressed at all. Cheap perfumed and glitter covered skanks. Nasty old divorcies working to feed there many kids. To me it was borderline freak show in a couple of those places, but hey Grandma needs to pay the rent to.... I guess??? . See more at the beaches of Grand Haven. To each there own. Snow is to thin there anyways.

what? they claim to have 20 feet of snow every winter.

- - - Updated - - -

there was a sidecar for sale across the street from the gas station, is it still there?

Pizza Man

Last time I was there was in December 1985.
10 of us went there and did a lot of ride during the day and to much drinking at night.
That was the last time I had a drink.
It will be 28 years on December 15, 2013.

Firecatguy

we used to rent a house in town and we ride out Hurley for years.....that town is no Vegas but back in the day the party was fun.....

Been there once 2 years ago the snow sucked haven't been back since.

you even old enough to get in the bars yet?

renegade

It is ussually the traffic that takes the tolls on the trails closer to town, not so much as the snow. The same as any major snowmobiling hub.

blkhwkbob

It's a sad scene of messed-up girls trying to make a buck while hanging out with local loser-types in between sets. I would guess that most of the girls have already had babies and this is their easy way to make quick cash. The places are filthy and the thought of putting those recycled dollar bills anywhere near my mouth makes me queasy. Vegas and Hurley in the same sentence? Um, no.

That's most certainly true!!! Is there any other cities in the U.P. that are similar to Hurley?

First of all, "The Lower Block" of Hurley is not in the U.P.

It's Hurley, Wisconsin.

And although most of the adjectives coloring the "Midget" town in the previous posts are spot in, let the state of "W" claim it..... ;-)