Hurley

need expert advice: never done this route: yes I can look up trails but what is the best way to get to Hurley from Lake Gogebic?
what should I expect?

just_ride

If you are coming from Berglund: UP8 to UP2 to 77. Please post your stories when you get back!
This is the most direct route
If you need a small loop...Take 1 south to 2 West, that will bring into Wakefield then over to 77
or a larger loop same as above but after Marinesco on 2 look for 11 South that will drop you into Winchester Wi., from there lots of options
I would take the 14 to C6 west to C8 and you would be just south of Mercer, then grade C17 to Hurley or loop up on the 8 15 or 13 15 into Hurley .....
Have Fun

goofy600

Other option if you are towards south end of lake is take trail 1 to Marenisco then trail 2 towards Wakefield where you have 2 options fastest is stay on 2 more scenic and little longer would be take trail 11 north which brings you back to trail 8 just east of Wakefield then take 8 to 2 to 77. If you have the ride command app. Or brp app. You can see all the trails to give you an idea of what you are looking at.

bayfly

I just got back from a trip through Hurley. Trail conditions were poor. They need snow, lots of snow. We did the 160 loop and while the scenery was great, the trails were rocks and ice. Bring a spare set of carbides.

euphoric1

that really stinks! thought they were getting regular snow there too, but I do realize it is a high traffic area.

goofy600

that really stinks! thought they were getting regular snow there too, but I do realize it is a high traffic area.
They do have snow it’s just high traffic, I went through there last Friday about 1pm and it was not that bad so it’s all about traffic. My guess by Saturday they were probably beat to crap with the amount of traffic that was up this way.

bayfly

We went through there Sunday. On Monday we took the grade (Trail #2) back from Ironwood to Watersmeet. While it was generally flat, there was considerable gravel the entire way. We had other routes planned for Monday, but based on our experience on Sunday we opted to bite the bullet and fly back on the grade. The limited amount of trails we took into Wisconsin around Saxon were horrible, so we didn't want to go south on Monday. In hindsight this may have been a bad decision, but was based on what we saw the day before. In short, they need fresh snow, like many areas.