Ice Fishing

ryanslyne

Just wondering if anyone has got out onto the ice yet to do a little fishing. Down here in SE Wi we still need another week of cold temps before I get out on the ice. But hoping to get out there by next weekend. Any reports on ice thickness in locations?

yamaholic

Small ponds are froze over good here in southern Mi saw couple guys out Saturday morning, I been thinking of getting out myself..

yamahauler

Saw about 40 guys out on a lake just east of St. Paul, MN off of I-94. I didn't think it was quite that thick yet, but....they were all still on top of the ice.

xplorer

Ice

Lots of good ice up here in northern MN, all but the really big/deep lakes are ice covered and making ice every day (-4 right now). Mille Lacs, Red, LOTW all have folks out getting in on the early ice season.

revman

Lots of good ice up here in northern MN, all but the really big/deep lakes are ice covered and making ice every day (-4 right now). Mille Lacs, Red, LOTW all have folks out getting in on the early ice season.

I'm in SE MN, and I would think by this weekend, things should be very solid. Maybe 6-8" of ice on most lakes. I say MOST. Lots have springs and channels that take a bit longer to freeze up.

REVman

08m8

Was out saturday and sunday west rush. 50 miles north of twin cities 6" good inches of ice were i was.

samc

They're already driving 4-wheeler on the ice by our house. Didn't think it was quite that safe yet. Heading out this weekend so will see.

Eight to ten inches in the Mankato-Faribault area lakes. I live between the towns and last weekend there were people on the lakes with ATV's. After this weeks two days of negative temps, there will be people all over the lakes. Could use 6-8 inches of snow to freshen things up.

snirt125

mn ice

Been out a bit this week ice fishing. Buffalo Lake had a solid 8 inches wednesday, the lake near Alexandria I was on yesterday had close to a foot, and Medicine Lake in Plymouth had about 8 when I went today. Lots of people out. It is safe to walk on but I would still be cautious about taking 4 wheelers out, and definitely not safe for vehicles.

doo_dr

Pewaukee Lake

I lived on the Northwest shore of Pewaukee. If you are a local and remember where the "Surf" use to be, I live two houses to the east. There is a drainage ditch that comes right out on point next to the house. Go out about 150' from shore on that point and find the edge of the weed line. You will be on one of the best places on the lake for Walleyes. Set tip ups along that weed line going back to the west. Late evenings are good and anytime before Christmas is awesome. When I was in Highschool I had 6 friends that would fish every night and just kill the walleyes. Once and awhile you would get a monster muskey. I can remember going out on "first ice" with a 3/4" sheet of plywood and two screwdrivers to set tip ups just to nail the walleye. The crazy S@%t we did when we were young!!!!

sabercat

I'm not a very good ice fishing guy, but I have aquired gear throughout the years. Any tips on what presentations to use and what lures, hooks, and bait to use for perch, bluegills,crappies, walleyes, northerns, etc? What time of day works best?

yamaholic

Bluegills I use a small tear drop hook ( white,orange,green ) are some good colors with a wax worm on it and jig it often.
Perch,crappies a small treble hook with a minnow on it works good.
Walleyes swedish pimple with a minnow on it.
Pike I use a tip-up with a treble hook and sucker.

chords

What time of day works best?

Anytime can be good. But I have found very early morn at the first hint of light best for walleye. Its tough crawling out in the cold and dark and be done screwin' around and have tip ups and lines set in darkness. But usually pays off. Next time would be after sun down, but still some fading light. And I aint a morning person.

Last year

Attachments

• wally.jpg
    wally.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 75

sabercat

electronics

With the price of a vexilar pretty high, has anybody made a portable locator out of a regular boat style fish finder?

phazerpilot

sabercat you can do it just look for one that has a flasher mode , better yet check menards they had a underwater camera (fish cam ) for like 75.00. the only time i use my flasher now is nite fishing when the camera doesn't work well

sabercat

I have the electronics but can't get a ice ducer for it. Might be more screwing around than its worth.

Whats everyones opinion on vexilars or hummingbirds?

misty_pines

Vexilar

I have a Vexilar FL-12. It is invaluable for ice fishing. Help to locate a good spot to set up and also helps to determine what depths the fish are at and makes ice fishing much more productive than without one. When I don't use one, I feel like I am fishing "blind".