idler wheels that attach to rear arm

smitty440

How do I get the wheels off that are attached to the rear arm. It's a 2006 crossfire. The wheels are pressed on. I am assuming I use a wheel puller? After I get them off what is the best way to get them on?

Pete

purproadking

no they are pressed on, i ve taken them off by very carefully using a hammer and chisel to the inner race and pounding them off. good luck, they can be a pain.

smitty440

I used a puller to get them off and took a piece of pipe the same diameter and tapped the new wheels on real easy.

Thanks, Pete

Kash

If those skids are like the ZR chassis or the new F chassis, the bearing inner rease tends to seize to the shaft that the idler wheel secures to, there is a C-clip that secures the idler wheel bearing into the idler wheel, this c-clip is mounted inboard on the idler wheel and almost impossible to get out with the skid in the sled. I usually remove the skid, remove the c-clip, used a puller (or can use a piece of wood and hammer) and force the idler wheel off the bearing, the bearing will remain on the shaft, you can either use a puller to get the bearing off the shaft or I have cut the bearing off with a dremel tool, put new bearing in the idler wheel and put c-clip back in, lightly sand the rust/crud off the shaft, put some "never seize" on the shaft and slide the idler wheel/bearing combo back on. Good luck.

ezra

there is a specal tool just for that job it has a pice of plate steel with a good size u cut out to slide over shaft that flat plate us wellded to a big u shaped bar with a threded bilt in it .come off slick as ship.before I got that tool I used gear pullers and trashed the wheel every time.but who cares the wheels you are pulling are to small and makes your track rub your tsl bracket so you need bigger wheels so gtrash away.or go spend the hundred some bucks on the pulle.r ar go rent it from your dealer for a hr

G

G

there is a specal tool just for that job it has a pice of plate steel with a good size u cut out to slide over shaft that flat plate us wellded to a big u shaped bar with a threded bilt in it .come off slick as ship.before I got that tool I used gear pullers and trashed the wheel every time.but who cares the wheels you are pulling are to small and makes your track rub your tsl bracket so you need bigger wheels so gtrash away.or go spend the hundred some bucks on the pulle.r ar go rent it from your dealer for a hr

Ezra is correct - there is such a tool. It also works to take the clip off the bearing and then take off the wheel and then use a puller to get the bearing off. These were a b##%% on the ACs -the monoshock skid on the newer Yamis is no better. I use emory cloth on the shaft when I do get it apart but the new bearings seem to get stuck quickly again. I think that next time I will get it all cleaned up and then use never seize.

smitty440

I just took the clip off took the wheel off then used a puller to get the bearing off.Then used a piece of 1" pipe and a piece of wood over the pipe and tapped the new ones gently back into place.

Thanks for everyone's help, Pete

lvr1000

Like stated, I remove the retaining ring to remove BUT use Loctite Bearing Mount to put new brg back on. Keeps the bearing in place and does not allow the bearing to seize to the shaft. On next change, a solid rap with a hammer and punch breaks it free and it pulls right off.