Illinois Tolls Increase Again

blkhwkbob

No. I'm not moving. I have four more years of work.

My favorite crooks, the Illinois Tollway system, has hit us with a nice increase. You may or may not know that passenger vehicles towing a single or double axle trailer pay the rate of a "Medium" sized truck.

I live near Ohare airport. For me to jump on I-90 north at the Des Plaines toll and travel to the Wisconsin border at Beloit, it will now cost me $31.50 in tolls. That's one way. Actually, I sold my sleds but I still have a boat, so a day trip to say, Lake Koshkonong will probably cost me $120 bucks in gas and tolls.

I just want everyone to be aware of what's going on in this crooked state. If you go to their website, all the tolls are listed. It's criminal.

heckler56

Wow. So glad I left there years ago. Not to self: do not use toll road with my RV when I return to see family and friends!

legend02

Live South of I90 off of 355

I always take 94 or back road to WI 94 to go North as most times picking up a buddy near the Il/Wi border

Taking 94 is about 14.00 dollars one way with Single Axle trailer

jime

At peak hours it's $33.90, 4 axels one-way on the skyway bridge in Chicago as of 1/1/24.

Chicago/Daley sold toll operation and parking to Morgan Stanley and the Arabs for 75yrs!

switch07

Try running my motorhome with tag axel pulling my Silverado! They love me, lol! And I even have the I pass in both vehicles! Try my best to bypass Chicago and run two lanes up to my sons house in Cary, then up to Lake Geneva and back to Door County.

snomoman

Yeah, one of my first posts on this website was how much highway robbery it was to pull a trailer on the tollway, I sold my snowmobile trailer a while back and now I have a trifold ramp to haul one snowmobile on so I don’t need to worry about a trailer at this time, when I used to own a trailer I would take the back roads and jump on the very last exit before you left Illinois state line, the toll gate was south of there, back then I was saving $32 a trip, can’t imagine what it’s like now

wiscrev

Originally from Illinois but haven't lived there for over 40 years. Wouldn't think of going back, the politicians are all gangsters.

lofsfire

Great! Wasn't the plan to only keep the tolls till the road was paid for? Yeah right... The only thing that you can trust that Communist State of IL to do is find more ways to rip everyone off! The roads still suck and you still have tons of slow or barely moving traffic.

My last trip at the end of March was $61.25 round trip.

$29.85 Going North
$31.40 on the return trip

Same trip but with the new pricing will now be $64.75 round trip. that is a $3.50 increase. I get it not a huge jump, but not so many years ago it was half the total cost too. All these little bump ups add up...

$31.55 Going North
$33.20 on the return trip

Last night on the news they said they are getting rid of the I-pass box transponders. You have to get a new sticker type starting at the end of the month. This is to help reduce cost... So mine works just fine, but some how I'm going to save money by dumping this one and getting a new sticker... The sang goes, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. Applies here...

heckler56

Last night on the news they said they are getting rid of the I-pass box transponders. You have to get a new sticker type starting at the end of the month. This is to help reduce cost... So mine works just fine, but some how I'm going to save money by dumping this one and getting a new sticker... The sang goes, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. Applies here...
Interesting. I have had a ipass for 20 years and the current transponder says it is good till 2025. I haven’t been back there in many years but use it for NY when I go camping in the summers and most recently through Louisville. Guess I will need to close the account and buy one from NY.

lofsfire

Interesting. I have had a ipass for 20 years and the current transponder says it is good till 2025. I haven’t been back there in many years but use it for NY when I go camping in the summers and most recently through Louisville. Guess I will need to close the account and buy one from NY.
The news report said that you wouldn't have to get a new sticker until your old transponder expired. I looked at mine today and apparently it expired in 2022... It's been working just fine... LOL

As a side note be careful in New York. I was out in Buffalo and Niagara Falls a number of years ago for work. As I was leaving Niagara Falls area coming back in the Buffalo there's a toll bridge that picked up the rental cars transponder just fine. Then when I got into the main toll road I got off at the first exit maybe a half mile or less. A few weeks later I'm going to do my expense report and I get an email from the rental company that I had 80 some dollars for just one toll. Apparently they charge you for the longest length of the toll road that you could have driven when the transponder doesn't pick up correctly.. The problem is the toll booths are at the exit and both traveler directions merge to the same toll booths. Therefore in my case I was headed eastbound and only traveled a short distance because it was the very first toll. But was charged as if I had came westbound down the entire toll road for New York! Since it was a rental car it was almost impossible to fight. Even though they had my transponder just a few miles before on the toll bridge that would prove that there was no possible way I could cover the distance they were claiming. Ultimately, my company just paid the bill It wasn't worth fighting. Especially after a few hours on the phone getting nowhere...

heckler56

Lotsfire. My transponder expired during Covid and everything was shutdown. Finally getting hold of customer service and they gave me a new expiration date. Interesting about NY. I know their whole system is transponder with no booths.
Over my career I had numerous deals come across my desk to finance these systems and stop light cameras. It really pissed me off seeing how the backend support was faulty and the consumer was guilty until they could prove otherwise.

old abe

At peak hours it's $33.90, 4 axels one-way on the skyway bridge in Chicago as of 1/1/24.

Chicago/Daley sold toll operation and parking to Morgan Stanley and the Arabs for 75yrs!
Yup, capitalism at it's best. This same thing is happening to toll roads across the nation, and yes most of it is Foreign. Very sad

lofsfire

Same thing here in Indiana company from Spain owns the toll road
The Skyway Bridge, Cline Ave Bridge, and our Toll Road are why 80/94 is packed all the time. Everyone avoiding the charge if they can... I will take the Toll Road for about 5 miles if traffic is bad on 80/94 (which is all construction season, April through Nov it seemed like this year...) I think that is $5 a day (one-way)