Illinois Trails Advice needed

sounder

Hello, all! We are going crazy waiting to ride. So, we are considering a trip to northern IL. It looks like they have a good trail system, but I've never ridden there. Anyone able to share some information and advice about the trails? I know we need a $25 permit and insurance. But, are the trails good? Well marked? Good places to stop for lunch and a beer along the way? Other advice you'd share?

whitedust

Why would you want to go there from your location? You have lots of snow north of you not much in northern IL. Northern IL NOT snowmobiler friendly in anyway.

sounder

Thanks. We are trying to go wherever the snow is. I've never ridden in IL, so thought it might be worth a try... sounds like not so much.

Where are trails open to our north? Looks like Grand Forks ND perhaps...

fishcrib

Sounder, our trails don't open until Dec 10. A lot of the snow we received melted already and the ground is way too wet anyways.
Even if it was after Dec 10 the trails would be closed.

Trails are ok around here when open. We do have clubs that put a lot of work into the trail system.
You can ride from northern Illinois as far north as you want.

whitedust

Thanks. We are trying to go wherever the snow is. I've never ridden in IL, so thought it might be worth a try... sounds like not so much.

Where are trails open to our north? Looks like Grand Forks ND perhaps...

That's what I figured looking for snow thought IL had some but melts fast there got to go right away when open but mostly corn fields. When snow if you want to come south try Osseo or Black River Falls,WI or cut up to Spooner area good trails there. Post asking about conditions north of you ND maybe arrowhead plenty of guys from that area and can tell you what to expect. In WI we are still waiting for black powder deer season to end not sure in ND SD or MN?

sweeperguy

That's what I figured looking for snow thought IL had some but melts fast there got to go right away when open but mostly corn fields. When snow if you want to come south try Osseo or Black River Falls,WI or cut up to Spooner area good trails there. Post asking about conditions north of you ND maybe arrowhead plenty of guys from that area and can tell you what to expect. In WI we are still waiting for black powder deer season to end not sure in ND SD or MN?
The NWS finally got the forecast right. We got about a foot of new snow overnight and they are still calling for up to 6 more inches today in Grand Forks along with 40 mph winds

Nothing up in the Arrowhead area yet, or Tower. Called this morning. What they had gotten has melted.
Grand forks east to Theif River Falls has snow. Getting thinner towards TRF. more snow to the north of there. Not sure if groomers are out or not.

not much down here. i only saw a few tracks along the highway. i wouldn't make a trip here to ride anyway. i live here so we ride when we can, but i wouldn't make a special trip unless you like 100's road crossings and plowed corn fields.

utinans

Well here in the far northest corner of il,we have the chain o lakes and the fox river.The chain is pretty big with about 10 lakes connected with small channels,quite a few bars on the lakes,the fox river you can ride north into wis for better than about 30 miles,jumping off river lots of trails through farm fields.The problem nothing froze yet,other problem would be lodging.The trails get kinda hard to ride with alot of road crossings,not fun in rush hour traffic.I started riding more west cental of the state west of rockford.In the pecatonica area more rural than lake,mchenry county.If you ride west of the pec towards galena, scenery gets better with rolling hills,problem again would be lodging not many hotels near trails.There are places to ride down here though and the chain and river can get alot of fun with water skipping

sounder

Thanks all! This is what I was looking for. I considered going because I have a free place to stay in Rockford and I'm overly anxious to ride! We thought maybe next week we can find some good snow. Fingers crossed and doing the snow dance! I think the best option is around Hayward or further east.

garyl62

I'm in Rockford and while utinans has some valid points about the area's west of here I can't imagine anyone traveling here to ride. I guess if it's the only place with snow, but I would still question if it's worth riding then. We did get 7" Sunday, but it's almost all gone now, the ground is soft, and while it's supposed to get cold and firm up, I don't think there will be enough snow to open anything. We need 4" of cover to open and if they do there will still be a lot of bare spots across the bumpy corn fields. If you happen to be here with a sled when there is decent snow cover, I'd go west to Winnebago, Pec, Davis, and toward either Galena or north towards Monroe, WI. Or, head north toward Roscoe, Rockton and up toward Clinton, or Lake Geneva WI. You'll usually see enough markers to stay on the trails and find a place to stop and eat, drink or warm up, but I'm not sure you'll want to make anything more than a circle day trip and come back to your place to stay each night.

utinans

We would trailer down hwy. 20 about 10 minutes west of rockford,winnebago,pull of and park trailer on side road by business park and take off from there,a nice loop will take you around,would stop in small bar in german valley and then ride north through pecatonica up to durand ,another nice little bar,can't go wrong would be great ridin in area

utinans

But yea i agree with gary,no snow out there yet and sure ground needs to freeze up,but when it does there are areas to ride in illinois,just pointing some spots out to you!

bankers_hours

Go to tcsnowmobile.com for info on north central IL trails. There is also a spot to click on at top for trail conditions. I am in Roscoe. There is information in our section of trail conditions on where to check on trail status for S WI trails that we connect to. We open 12/15, as long as we have at least 4 inches of snow. Trails were marked a couple of weeks ago.

old abe

NW Illinois has a very good trail system. There are many loops, or you travel a long distance. Also they have a good variety in scenery, and terrain you might not expect. Snowmo clubs have very good people and do a good job with the trails, but like everywhere else, they just need good snow! When they have snow, it's very good riding! Now we just need it to freeze up, and snow.

bladeguy

The Keweenaw in the U.P. should start getting pounded today. Go there. However, it's early season. Will be some mud, water and bare spots.

utinans

i'm sure all the grades will be spitting rocks into your tunnel and then watch out for all the big boulders in backwood trails and then hopefully you won't be pullin your submerged sled out of some water hole,i would'nt ride up north or up yet either,too early let it be somebody else,have some patience we will ride.another thing nothing wrong planing a trip south to illinois