Info on a Subaru??

garyl62

Well a lady made a left in front of my son a few days back and he nailed her broadside while he was going about 45. Both cars will be totaled, all the air bags went off, good thing is everyone is fine today.

Now I'm on the search for a replacement vehicle and he is telling me he'd like a Subaru Outback. He's looking for something with four wheel/AWD, decent mileage and a large enough area to haul some of his skateboards, rails, and other stuff that goes with that hobby. The Explorer he had fit that bill except for the mileage. My budget is around $3,800 and there seems to be stuff out there, especially in the UP or N.WI.

What can you all tell me about these vehicles? A lot of people say they run forever. What's the good, bad, stay away from, or be prepared to fix details I need to know? I've never owned a Subaru and generally been a domestic car/truck owner.

Winterrules

96% of Subaru vehicles built in the last 12 years are still on the road according to Polk. The All-Wheel Drive system is very good. I have been researching the new Forester for our next vehicle. I like what I see so far.

dmsrx

I had a 2012 Impreza Limited I bought for a work car. The car had 27,000 on it when I got rid of it. It had already developed a bunch of rattle and squeeks in the interior, the brakes were noisy when you applied them and the tires were already junk. I had heard all good things about them and they may be true but my experience wasn't a good one. Car Max gave me a grand more than I owed so I dumped it. Drive a 96 Accord with 36,000 on it I bought at an estate auction and it drives better than the Subaru did. Others may have a different experience but I sure wasn't impressed.

MZEMS2

My wife owned a Subaru for a long time, she loved the thing. It was one of the Bajas they used to make. Similar frame to the Outback I would say. It seemed bullet proof. I have a couple of coworkers that own them also. One has an Outback and they love it. The AWD system seems to be their strong point. Sorry, no personal experience, but I've only heard good things.

Hoosier

I was looking into getting a Subaru for a while. I did some work for them at their plant off I-65 in Indiana. Seems like their owners either love them or hate them. I think they are the type of vehicle that if you maintain them well and keep after them, you'll have a good experience. If not, you're in for some expensive repairs. Their engines and AWD systems are unique, which normally means expensive to fix. The newer Subaru's are supposed to be much more reliable, particularly since Toyota bought a chuck of the company.

IMO, at the price range you're looking at, I'd stay far away from them. If you get something "simple" like the truck-based explorer you had, or a blazer, etc., you'll probably be happier. You might give up a little on gas mileage, but chances are you're only putting 10-12k miles a year on it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

96% of Subaru vehicles built in the last 12 years are still on the road according to Polk. The All-Wheel Drive system is very good. I have been researching the new Forester for our next vehicle. I like what I see so far.

...and the rest of them made it home! Sorry, just like that joke.

ezra

the 95
impreza we had was a non turbo drove a few yrs and sold to a bud they still have it with over 250k on it

surgin

what about subaru's

my subaru experience started in 1995 in wausua, have since bought 5 more in, and my daughter just bought the 2009 wrx.
of my 6, five are still running, one a gave to nephew. the 5 you see here have over one million miles on them.
just gave the middle one to my lil bro, including a couple of skid frames for 1998 ZR's...
They are costly to repair, but those repairs have been few and far between. I do tend to go thru clutches on the manuals.. go figure...
but without doubt, the agility and awd of these vehicles have literally saved my life more than once. ...
just wish they built a truck.... esp a diesel truck...

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 50

maxwell

268k, changed the clutch at 165k.

Ugly, noisy and rusty.

AWD is awesome, no power left in my 2.0

mine is a 1996 with the boxxer engine, other than the clutch, battery, brakes and tires, it has treated me well.

garyl62

Maybe it's time for the wife to get something new, give him the Trailblazer?

Not sure anyone would like that option suprisingly enough. He want's better milage, she would say it's too nice for him, and I wouldn't want to carry full collision and comp since we still owe some money on it. My insurance guy might like it though :)

snocrazy

How much better is the gas mileage? AWD = less than 25 from what I have seen unless you go brand new mega $.
I gave up the AWD and went FWD with good snow tires. 40MPG.

Look in to Golf TDI. It might be a good fit.

dblshock

How much better is the gas mileage? AWD = less than 25 from what I have seen unless you go brand new mega $.
I gave up the AWD and went FWD with good snow tires. 40MPG.

Look in to Golf TDI. It might be a good fit.

Agree, unless there's a ridiculous driveway to climb AWD is clumsy and expensive

surgin

Subie negatives are known as serious head gasket failures, rust and noisey.

I would agree with rust around the rear fenders, but all mine are 10 to 14 years old, the noise comes from the mirrors, Head gaskets have not been an issue, but the timing belt every 100K is a pain when you are getting 250 + per subbie.. and that is only on the 4 cylinders. The H-6 3 liters have a chain. Milege.. 29 highway on all of them, 22 on the wrx around town... like I said.. if only they had a diesel like the TDI.. oh that's right.. they do.. in Europe.. damn obamaregs....

oh yea... and snowtires on all of them.. that will give you road noise.. AWD or FWD...

Last edited:

dblshock

I would agree with rust around the rear fenders, but all mine are 10 to 14 years old, the noise comes from the mirrors, Head gaskets have not been an issue, but the timing belt every 100K is a pain when you are getting 250 + per subbie.. and that is only on the 4 cylinders. The H-6 3 liters have a chain. Milege.. 29 highway on all of them, 22 on the wrx around town... like I said.. if only they had a diesel like the TDI.. oh that's right.. they do.. in Europe.. damn obamaregs....

Google Subaru head gasket and you'll see..I'd expect rust and rattles after 175k on any brand.. to accomplish 250k is complementary to the owners understanding maintenance.

surgin

Google Subaru head gasket and you'll see..I'd expect rust and rattles after 175k on any brand.. to accomplish 250k is complementary to the owners understanding maintenance.

... yep have heard about the head gaskets.. maybe I should play powerball more often.. better to be lucky than good.. doubt it is the mobil 1 I run in all of them until I give em too the kids.. but even then they tend to give em back... still runnin'...

and while we are talking, Broadway Automotive Repair in Ironwood does awesome work and great price compared to dealers on imports..

pfd_crew

Well a lady made a left in front of my son a few days back and he nailed her broadside while he was going about 45. Both cars will be totaled, all the air bags went off, good thing is everyone is fine today.

Now I'm on the search for a replacement vehicle and he is telling me he'd like a Subaru Outback. He's looking for something with four wheel/AWD, decent mileage and a large enough area to haul some of his skateboards, rails, and other stuff that goes with that hobby. The Explorer he had fit that bill except for the mileage. My budget is around $3,800 and there seems to be stuff out there, especially in the UP or N.WI.

What can you all tell me about these vehicles? A lot of people say they run forever. What's the good, bad, stay away from, or be prepared to fix details I need to know? I've never owned a Subaru and generally been a domestic car/truck owner.

It was our first subaru, We bought a 2014 outback and love it. Live in the yoop, AWD is great, usually get 27 mgp. No complaints, the price is reasonable. Recommend them to anyone looking to get decent mpg and have AWD

T

Team Elkhorn

The half dozen people I know that have Subarus would never drive anything else. They say the AWD is useful year round, not just in the winter. They don't even notice how nice the AWD is until they drive something without it. And they all seem to drive them over 200,000 miles before they let them go too.

anonomoose

I was getting gas in Marquette several years ago, and the guy next to me was fueling his Sub up...since I was filling a GMC and had lots of time to waste filling....I asked him how he liked it. He said it was his 4th one and he was happy with the gas mileage and longevity. I asked what repairs he had to do, and he said...NONE....never took any of them back for anything...I said, not even once, and he said nope, not once.

I have never owned anything that hasn't gone back for something....