Input on Cabin Ownership, Please

600_RMK_144

A cabin up North has been a dream of mine for years. May never be more than just that to be perfectly honest, but since it tends to get slow around here in the Summer, thought we might be able to discuss. Something on the water that we could fish / boat in the Summer and obviously near the trails for winter fun. I personally could live in a shack, but if I want ANY chance of getting the wife up there from time to time, it would need to be a bit less rustic. LOL!

I honestly have not a clue where to start and was hoping to get some input from those of you that have owned a cabin in the Northwoods.

1) Things one may not typically consider with owning a vacation property (the good, the bad, the ugly --- All of it, please!). Particularly anything to consider for those COLD winter months up north, because it would certainly be used all four seasons.

2) How to go about “seeing” properties when you are 4+ hours away? I assume a good realtor is critical, but again, not sure where to even start with one. We can't take a trip up there each time we think we see something we might like.

3) My approach with the wife is that (God willing) I’ve got 10 more good years of riding in me and then I’d be hanging up the sport. At that point we would sell and get something in a nice warm climate --- Which is what she wants now, so this is a hard sell at this point!!! Has anyone had experience “selling” their cabin and did it seem to sit or sell relatively quickly? I know that this is largely driven by the market, but curious of others experiences in getting out from under a property when ready to do so.

Again, this is largely a pipe dream at this point, but trying to start gathering some information to be better educated.

Thanks All for your insight, thoughts, opinions. Much appreciated!

timo

Good luck,,, properties on the market up north are going in a blink of an eye. You literally have to put an offer in in 24 hours or less.
Buyers are purchasing sight unseen.

choc_lab

I have a cabin near Pembine since 2002 and my best advise is keep your drive under 2 hours or you will get sick of the drive and not use the place like you think you would . my drive is 1.5 hr and i can go for a day if i feel like it . my next door neighbors just put their place for sale this weekend because they live in Chicago and got tired of the drive .

katden4

Market is super hot for sellers right now, not buyers unfortunately. All buyers right now are impulse purchase unless you know the property before it gets listed. If you decide to go for it, have funds ready, and be prepared to be on site that day. I bought mine almost 19 years ago now, and don't regret a single minute of it. Good luck!

harvest1121

I have a 6 hour drive to the house in Woodruff. With a flexible schedule I usually leave Thursday afternoon and come back home Monday night every other week when I can fish or snowmobile. We are not on the lake but we like to fish all the different lakes in the Northwoods. Do not think its a good time to even look at houses up there wait till the demand dies down.

favoritos

You may have answered some of your own questions especially relating to the drive.
We looked for a few years and drove up to shop. It is a good way to get a feel for the drive you will end up doing more often than imagined. It will also give you a good feel for the community around the lake or cabin. If you don't like the drive or the neighborhood, you already know some main components of owning the property.

Being on the water is a joy for myself. I wouldn't want to look at a property without knowing the lake. There is an incredible contrast in lakes and lake shore useage. I wouldn't purchase without being on the water first.

The useful advice about the market is spot on right now. It is not easy shopping with desired properties. Be ready to spend and spend fast if you want to offer. Some recent sales that I've watched are nuts. Twenty five percent over ask with no chance of appraisal. It would be tough to compete in a hot cash buyer market with highly desired properties. The shacks might give you a better shot.

chunk06

After being allowed to borrow a few people's cabin's it puts owning one in a different perspective. when you are up there helping to maintain it, clean it, wash sheets and put back on the beds it made me realize that we will not be able to own one until closer to retirement age. It makes it so the usual 3-4 days that we are at them have less free time to go up there and have fun. Most of the people that we borrow from can go up there 1-3 weeks at a time. It also helps to own it with a friend or family member that you trust and get along with, you just have to set guidelines on who else gets to use it. The last cabin that we borrowed we are not allowed to talk about it because a few of the family members are not wanted up there lol. The market is too hot right now to even look, even some of the places that used to be cheaper are getting expensive. It is crazy what people are paying for a 40 of junk land. Also keep in mind that getting work done to your cabin or property is nearly impossible anymore, I have heard from many it is a struggle to just get bids. The trades guys know this and rates are pretty high for good work now.

choc_lab

what chunk06 said about getting plumbers or carpenters or other tradesmen is so true they are hard to get to show up and if they do never pay it all up front .That being said after 20 years of owning my cabin i still get excited to go up every weekend .

elf

We built our cabin 15 yrs ago and don't regret it at all. People have mentioned the drive, when we started building we were close to 4 hrs away. After the first yr I changed jobs and now only 1 3/4 hrs away, much better! When our kids were younger we used it a lot more than we currently do, maybe every other weekend and usually 2-3 week stay in the summer and a week at Christmas. Once they got into HS it was more of a struggle for the long breaks as they didn't want to do anything with the parents anymore. Now that they are out of the house hopefully we start getting back up there more.
As someone else mentioned though there is upkeep. Its another house you need to maintain. I hear about it from my family when we go up there sometimes that all we do is work up there. Well the grass has to be mowed, the wood shed has to stay full, the trails and driveway have to be maintained. A lot of times I'll just go up myself and do it as its just easier!
Regarding friends and family using it nothing annoyed more in my life than when a sister in law called and asked about using it for a weekend that we already planned to be up there. She had the nerve to ask if we could move our date as she had already made plans with another couple to be up there. When we said no she then asked if we could tow our camper up and set it up in the driveway for them. I said no again as I was pulling my other trailer up so I could bring my tractor up as it was wood cutting weekend. So they then pulled up our camper and set it up in the driveway. They all went out sightseeing the next day while my wife, kids, and I cut and split firewood. While we were sitting around a fire later that evening roasting hot dogs they showed back up and plopped down by the fire and she made the comment "how nice it was to have a free cabin to go to!" I about threw her in the fire. And while I got off on a bit of a tangent there it is a challenge to say no to people and if you say yes explain your expectations.

But its great to have a home base for snowmobiling, it's close enough for a day trip, and I call it my happy place!

xcr440

If your main reason for being "up north" is snowmobiling, just rent a place when you go, or stay at hotels/motels/resorts. The snow will NOT always be where you decide to purchase, where if you are mobile, you can chase the snow. If you purchase, then you are pretty much set to go to that spot every time you go somewhere. It's hard to justify going somewhere else when you are already paying for another place, at least that was the case for me.

As for what Chunk06 said, yeah. Having a cabin up north is definitely like having a second home. If you are up for that, and can do most any repair yourself, then it may be for you. But again, be prepared to take care of the place when you are there, not unlike when you are home.

To address your "COLD" months concerns - if you are not there all the time, plan on draining the water every time you leave. You cannot always trust the power will be there to keep the place from freezing. Could you put some sort of alarm on for a low temp? Sure, but then you are going to need to go check it ASAP, or have someone willing to do that for you.

I had a cabin outside of the Winter, WI area for about 10 years, 3 hour drive for me, and though it was pretty cool to go up there, have my own stuff when I arrived, it took a fair amount of planning and preparation for those trips.

Would I own a second property or cabin again? NO. Would I own something up north that was my full time residence? YES.

- - - Updated - - -

We built our cabin 15 yrs ago and don't regret it at all. People have mentioned the drive, when we started building we were close to 4 hrs away. After the first yr I changed jobs and now only 1 3/4 hrs away, much better! When our kids were younger we used it a lot more than we currently do, maybe every other weekend and usually 2-3 week stay in the summer and a week at Christmas. Once they got into HS it was more of a struggle for the long breaks as they didn't want to do anything with the parents anymore. Now that they are out of the house hopefully we start getting back up there more.
As someone else mentioned though there is upkeep. Its another house you need to maintain. I hear about it from my family when we go up there sometimes that all we do is work up there. Well the grass has to be mowed, the wood shed has to stay full, the trails and driveway have to be maintained. A lot of times I'll just go up myself and do it as its just easier!
Regarding friends and family using it nothing annoyed more in my life than when a sister in law called and asked about using it for a weekend that we already planned to be up there. She had the nerve to ask if we could move our date as she had already made plans with another couple to be up there. When we said no she then asked if we could tow our camper up and set it up in the driveway for them. I said no again as I was pulling my other trailer up so I could bring my tractor up as it was wood cutting weekend. So they then pulled up our camper and set it up in the driveway. They all went out sightseeing the next day while my wife, kids, and I cut and split firewood. While we were sitting around a fire later that evening roasting hot dogs they showed back up and plopped down by the fire and she made the comment "how nice it was to have a free cabin to go to!" I about threw her in the fire. And while I got off on a bit of a tangent there it is a challenge to say no to people and if you say yes explain your expectations.

But its great to have a home base for snowmobiling, it's close enough for a day trip, and I call it my happy place!

Nice to be that close Troy, and its in the snow belt that almost ALWAYS has good rideable snow! (Even though you were much thinner this year than most!)

But then again, from Des Moines, that's what, 7 hours one way? That would be a no go for me. I've actually tossed out the idea to the little woman of finding something up there for "retirement" and she seems good with that! Must be a keeper....

600_RMK_144

I have a cabin near Pembine since 2002 and my best advise is keep your drive under 2 hours or you will get sick of the drive and not use the place like you think you would . my drive is 1.5 hr and i can go for a day if i feel like it . my next door neighbors just put their place for sale this weekend because they live in Chicago and got tired of the drive .

Solid advice! I'm in central IA and pretty used to driving 3+hours for good snow, but you are correct... That would get old and used less with a further drive. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 6 hour drive to the house in Woodruff. With a flexible schedule I usually leave Thursday afternoon and come back home Monday night every other week when I can fish or snowmobile. We are not on the lake but we like to fish all the different lakes in the Northwoods. Do not think its a good time to even look at houses up there wait till the demand dies down.

Do you stomach the drive pretty well after years of ownership? I feel like the excitement would get me up there pretty often, but that obviously wears off over time. Yes, we don't intend to buy in the near term, just getting some thoughts gathered for when the time comes (if ever).

- - - Updated - - -

what chunk06 said about getting plumbers or carpenters or other tradesmen is so true they are hard to get to show up and if they do never pay it all up front .That being said after 20 years of owning my cabin i still get excited to go up every weekend .

How long of a drive if you get up there pretty regularly?

600_RMK_144

After being allowed to borrow a few people's cabin's it puts owning one in a different perspective. when you are up there helping to maintain it, clean it, wash sheets and put back on the beds it made me realize that we will not be able to own one until closer to retirement age. It makes it so the usual 3-4 days that we are at them have less free time to go up there and have fun. Most of the people that we borrow from can go up there 1-3 weeks at a time. It also helps to own it with a friend or family member that you trust and get along with, you just have to set guidelines on who else gets to use it. The last cabin that we borrowed we are not allowed to talk about it because a few of the family members are not wanted up there lol. The market is too hot right now to even look, even some of the places that used to be cheaper are getting expensive. It is crazy what people are paying for a 40 of junk land. Also keep in mind that getting work done to your cabin or property is nearly impossible anymore, I have heard from many it is a struggle to just get bids. The trades guys know this and rates are pretty high for good work now.

Good consideration. I can handle some jobs, but as we get older, paying someone to do the work gets easier. But if you can't get anyone out there, that is a problem. Thanks!

600_RMK_144

You are more kind than I would have been! First, so rude to ask when you are already going. Like - You made plans to be there before even asking US (the OWNERS!!!). Never going to happen! LOL! And I agree that people should feel like putting in "some" light work if you are letting them go up for free. Cut some wood, do some laundry, cut the grass, trim. I know it's a "vacation" for them, but at the same time respect for the persons allowing you to use it. I always go out of my way to leave things better than I found them whenever I can! Just basic human decency. And for it to be a family member makes it even worse!

- - - Updated - - -

If your main reason for being "up north" is snowmobiling, just rent a place when you go, or stay at hotels/motels/resorts. The snow will NOT always be where you decide to purchase, where if you are mobile, you can chase the snow. If you purchase, then you are pretty much set to go to that spot every time you go somewhere. It's hard to justify going somewhere else when you are already paying for another place, at least that was the case for me.

As for what Chunk06 said, yeah. Having a cabin up north is definitely like having a second home. If you are up for that, and can do most any repair yourself, then it may be for you. But again, be prepared to take care of the place when you are there, not unlike when you are home.

To address your "COLD" months concerns - if you are not there all the time, plan on draining the water every time you leave. You cannot always trust the power will be there to keep the place from freezing. Could you put some sort of alarm on for a low temp? Sure, but then you are going to need to go check it ASAP, or have someone willing to do that for you.

I had a cabin outside of the Winter, WI area for about 10 years, 3 hour drive for me, and though it was pretty cool to go up there, have my own stuff when I arrived, it took a fair amount of planning and preparation for those trips.

Would I own a second property or cabin again? NO. Would I own something up north that was my full time residence? YES.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to be that close Troy, and its in the snow belt that almost ALWAYS has good rideable snow! (Even though you were much thinner this year than most!)

But then again, from Des Moines, that's what, 7 hours one way? That would be a no go for me. I've actually tossed out the idea to the little woman of finding something up there for "retirement" and she seems good with that! Must be a keeper....

Right. I don't figure riding from the doorstep to be an option all the time, but an hour drive in the morning is much more doable than 5,6,7! Even something half way might do the trick.

scott_b

We sold our place on Gogebic 2.5 years ago. In the 12 years that we owned it we created more memories than I would have ever imagined. I miss that house; what it meant to me, my friends and my young family every day. I would not give up the experience for anything, but I am glad it is gone. I did not realize the time I spent thinking about the house (planning, worrying, etc) until it was gone. I could write pages about the pros and cons I experienced but I will save you the minutia. Here are a few of the biggest things to think about.

- How far is the drive, how will you feel about driving there and back in a single day just to check on things or meet a tradesman who never shows up
- Finding help can be very difficult if not impossible
- Do you have the flexibility at work and with your family to run up when an issue arises
- It never bothered me but my wife did not like going to the same area all the time
- Do you know anyone in the area that can help you? I could not have kept that house as long as I did if it were not for a few great friends who lived nearby
- The day you travel home will change significantly. You will be washing sheets and towels, cleaning, making lists of things you need to fix or bring up next time
- It is a great feeling to pull up to your house, pull your car in the garage, have your toothbrush, beer, etc waiting for you and go to sleep in your own bed

All that being said, I would do it again (and likely will when I get closer to retirement) in a heartbeat.

600_RMK_144

We sold our place on Gogebic 2.5 years ago. In the 12 years that we owned it we created more memories than I would have ever imagined. I miss that house; what it meant to me, my friends and my young family every day. I would not give up the experience for anything, but I am glad it is gone. I did not realize the time I spent thinking about the house (planning, worrying, etc) until it was gone. I could write pages about the pros and cons I experienced but I will save you the minutia. Here are a few of the biggest things to think about.

- How far is the drive, how will you feel about driving there and back in a single day just to check on things or meet a tradesman who never shows up
- Finding help can be very difficult if not impossible
- Do you have the flexibility at work and with your family to run up when an issue arises
- It never bothered me but my wife did not like going to the same area all the time
- Do you know anyone in the area that can help you? I could not have kept that house as long as I did if it were not for a few great friends who lived nearby
- The day you travel home will change significantly. You will be washing sheets and towels, cleaning, making lists of things you need to fix or bring up next time
- It is a great feeling to pull up to your house, pull your car in the garage, have your toothbrush, beer, etc waiting for you and go to sleep in your own bed

All that being said, I would do it again (and likely will when I get closer to retirement) in a heartbeat.

Thanks for sharing! Much of what you said is exactly what I dream of. People say "just rent"... Not the same (not even in the same ballpark) as driving up to YOUR place and having EVERYTHING there waiting for you! Excellent point about un-expected trips. Having friends / family in the area certainly would make a huge difference.

My wife also feels like going to the same place all the time would get old. Me? I'm good with it!

Hope you get to have the experience again soon! thanks for the info!

pclark

We bought a place in Manitowish Waters, WI in August of 2015. That was what I would consider when the market hit bottom in that area. Our place is on the chain as they call it (10 inter connected lakes with bars and restaurants that you can get to by boat. Everything that has been said is true but I would leave you with these thoughts: Do you have friends in the area? Do you like amenities like good places to eat? Do you want to pay to be on a nice body of water, bigger lake, chain? is a smaller lake ok, if so you can still find some decent deals. Are you prepared to make so many memories with your family that you will start planning all the holidays including Thanksgiving (when we received 2 ft of snow a couple years ago) and Christmas? It was always a dream of mine to own a place "Up north" as we say and the opportunity finally came up 6 years ago. I used Zillow to get a good idea of whats available and its fairly accurate. I remember our realtor saying to us that the guy that owned our place was ready to sell and we should put our offer in, it was a Saturday evening, I said to my wife if we don't make the offer tonight we won't get it and it will be gone because she said lets wait until Monday. She went to take a shower and and I signed my name on the offer and when she came out I asked her to sign her name and she did it and the rest is history, really good history...... Our drive is 4.5 hours door to door, job is flexible, we are leaving tomorrow at 1pm when I get home from Chicago. I never get tired of the drive but that will soon come to an end because we have decided to sell our house in Oconomowoc (crazy market right now for sellers) and move up permanently this summer. As was noted, you should wait until Fall to buy because people want to get rid of places and not carry them through the winter.

Good luck to you with you search, The Northwoods is a special place with lots of great people.

hybrid

i bought my place in 2004 had a 6 hour drive
drive was no problem
i could not have owned it if it were not for a great friend that lived down the street and took care of stuff for me
loved it so much i moved here in 2017
decided to say F U Illinois im done
ton of jobs up here that pay very well
no problem finding work
finding contractors to do work is near impossible
call 10 places 2 call u back and say there there booked till next year
and this was before covid
i have been trying to get my roof replaced since sept 2019
i finally have someone doing it next week
and im paying double what i paid for the roof i got in 2017 on my garage and my garage is bigger then my house
that being said everything everyone else says is spot on
wait 2 years tho
market is totally nuts now
and yes The Northwoods is a special place with lots of great people
im in the minocqua area

Last edited:

wirev

There are plenty of thing to do. Almost every weekend there is something going on somewhere within an hours drive year around. Only slow time is April.

hybrid

the time between the end of snowmobiling and ice out is the worst time of year imo
very little to do then rec wise
could make some maple syrup if u got some trees
or catch some pan fish if u want to venture out on the melting ice
every year is different tho

Last edited:

Carbide

Stay at different resorts instead. No maintenance or winterizing requirements, and when you want to upgrade you just check out a new area's resorts.
No property taxes. No lugging docks and lifts in and out.
Ride hard and put away wet. Lol.