Input on Cabin Ownership, Please

goofy600

Best advice I could give is make sure your spouse and family are on board because if they are not really it will not work. It will also change the way you vacation because you will want to go there because you own it instead of visiting other places. Not always but it will. If you have young kids that are into sports or stuff it makes it harder to get up to it, but as they get older and your time opens up getting to the cabin becomes easier. We started with a camp in the woods 17 years ago then 6 years ago got the lake house and because of covid it has become our permanent home and love everything about it, but so does my wife and is what makes it work. Last thing is yes prices are high right now and finding help is tough but if you plan properly that can be worked around.

wiviperman

There is some great solid advice in the posts above! I could probably write a book on my love/hate relationship with my Up North Log Cabin. My best advice is to be fully committed, do as much "homework" as you possibly can on the property that you want before you buy it and really take into consideration the area in which you buy, it's great to be away from everything until you need something like supplies and such and then the drive to go get things can be pain.
My path has slightly changed for me with my property as I bought it when I was a single man. I'm now married and my wife really dislikes the 4+ hour drive to the cabin. I had plans to retire there, but that has changed for sure as my wife does not want to live there full time.
Another piece of solid advice is to find a good realtor & then be assertive of what you actually want to look at as they sometimes will show properties just to "show them" and if you are traveling some hours to get there to look at places, you don't need the realtor wasting your time showing you something that you have no interest in.
Good luck & have fun!

wirev

There is some great solid advice in the posts above! I could probably write a book on my love/hate relationship with my Up North Log Cabin. My best advice is to be fully committed, do as much "homework" as you possibly can on the property that you want before you buy it and really take into consideration the area in which you buy, it's great to be away from everything until you need something like supplies and such and then the drive to go get things can be pain.
My path has slightly changed for me with my property as I bought it when I was a single man. I'm now married and my wife really dislikes the 4+ hour drive to the cabin. I had plans to retire there, but that has changed for sure as my wife does not want to live there full time.
Another piece of solid advice is to find a good realtor & then be assertive of what you actually want to look at as they sometimes will show properties just to "show them" and if you are traveling some hours to get there to look at places, you don't need the realtor wasting your time showing you something that you have no interest in.
Good luck & have fun!

+1000

We messed with a dead-beat realtor for over a year and a half before we made a change, and we were driving from North Dakota. Only good thing is we have kids and grandkids in the area. Ended up buying within 3 weeks. That was almost 8 years ago.

xcr440

Right. I don't figure riding from the doorstep to be an option all the time, but an hour drive in the morning is much more doable than 5,6,7! Even something half way might do the trick.

If you are willing to do a couple hours in the morning and then again in the evening to ride "up north" for a day here and there, then there are a lot of options in central WI that would get you part way. Central WI has a lot to offer, and may not be as busy. I had a place in the Stevens Point area a few years ago, and that is considered "up north" for almost everyone from Madison to Milwaukee to Chicago - I had that place rented out every single weekend.

elf

Lots of good advice being offered up. One thing that resonates with me on our cabin is we really ride the same spots all the time. It started to get a bit stale and then last yr since we didn't have great snow I started exploring a bit more and I enjoyed that. Went down forest roads I'd never been on or hadn't been on in years and that was fun. Up where our cabin is there isn't a over abundance of trails but theres a ton of forest roads to play on.
I also like the maintenance free comment. I joke that our cabin is vinyl siding and a metal roof while our house is a log house. Seems backwards but I do like never having the paint or stain ever up there.

The comment abut renting isn't bad advice either. I could have spent a lot of nights at a real nice resort in different areas over the last 15 yrs and would still have spent less and wouldn't have had to mow lawns, shoveled snow, etc...

Also the comment on good neighbors and getting to know them is spot on. When I first switched jobs we lived at our cabin for a year and got to know our neighbors well. So now one of them plows my driveway for me, I have another one I can call to go up and turn things off if I forgot to after we've left, and they call if they see anything suspicious. I got a call from one of them one weekend when my brother was up there.

Would I do it again?? Yes, but maybe on a lake this time. We couldn't afford a lake lot that last time but that would be nice now.

nhra1000

Had been coming up north for years (starting in early 80's) in 1998 I bought a second home up here....did the drive (6 hours with no weather) back and forth for about 2 years....spent more time working on the place than having fun....finally decided it was either sell it or move up...I chose the latter....been here 21 years and have never regretted it. In my work position I've had to hire many, many people due to growth and other things. At this point we dont usually consider anyone from out of town as it frankly hardly ever works...People usually last one winter and they are gone. If you don't seriously like winter...its not a great place to be. Best advice I can give is to get your spouse fully onboard...that is the reason 98% people have left.

LoveMyDobe

Put a camper at a campground that has seasonal spots. Wont help you out on the winter snowmobile season but we all know that is iffy depending on the year and snowfall, just plan on staying at a resort or hotel for that. That's what we now wish we would have done instead of selling our mortgage free house in Iowa and building new and going back in debt . :(. This way if you choose to move north for good you'll know if you really like the area.

600_RMK_144

Put a camper at a campground that has seasonal spots. Wont help you out on the winter snowmobile season but we all know that is iffy depending on the year and snowfall, just plan on staying at a resort or hotel for that. That's what we now wish we would have done instead of selling our mortgage free house in Iowa and building new and going back in debt . :(. This way if you choose to move north for good you'll know if you really like the area.

Actually considered this pretty seriously, but the upkeep on RVs (poorly built, constant leaking, always something to fix) really turned me off. I suppose if it's just sitting and not having all the wear & tear from the road / being hauled they probably hold up a bit better. A mobile home might be a bit better (maybe) and another option I've considered. Just go into knowing that the value will only depreciate and never go up like a cabin property might / could.

- - - Updated - - -

Really appreciate everyone's comments here. Has given me much to think about and consider! Exactly what I was looking for and needing. Thank you!!!

srt20

Actually considered this pretty seriously, but the upkeep on RVs (poorly built, constant leaking, always something to fix) really turned me off. I suppose if it's just sitting and not having all the wear & tear from the road / being hauled they probably hold up a bit better. A mobile home might be a bit better (maybe) and another option I've considered. Just go into knowing that the value will only depreciate and never go up like a cabin property might / could.

- - - Updated - - -

Really appreciate everyone's comments here. Has given me much to think about and consider! Exactly what I was looking for and needing. Thank you!!!
We have a camper at campground year round. I used it a few times to go snowmobiling, but I dont do much to any riding up north at all anymore. But some friends go up just about every weekend the trails are open. They poop in a bag in the toilet. They have water containers they take with them for wash cloth bath, etc. Its more work, but its alot cheaper. Dont have property maintenance. Yes a camper isn't built like a cabin, though you can buy some pretty bad cabins. No yard work to be done before you go play. Campers are usually smaller than cabin, so easier and quicker to clean, but less room.
Some campground have awesome amenities like lake front, pools, playgrounds for kids, etc.

Just something to consider. We have talked about buying property, but we always shoot it down. If we want out, its alot easier. Dont have to try to sell property. Campers depreciate but as of right now anyway, they are bringing premium prices.

When all this comes crashing back to regulate itself, I have a feeling people are going to be broke after they over spent and cant afford what they bought, its going to be a buyers market. Whether its cabins or campers. Just have to have patience.
I might buy a cabin just to resell the during the next apocalypse......

ICT Sledder

Picking up an old mine company house fixer upper for $25K in Calumet or Laurium or Mohawk (or whatever) was always a dream of mine. As of the last time I looked (admittedly a couple of years ago) those things are a dime a dozen up there. Might also be a land bank setup where you can get them for nothing (or so I recall deep in the recesses of my brain). I know how to do the remodel work, but doing it all by myself (or me plus my wife) doesn't seem like a great idea. This was for a simplified life relocation, not a second home.

ezra

Imho I would hold off. Stuff is way overpriced right now and first thing to drop in value and hit the chopping block in a down turn is 2nd homes .
Other things to think about is now you have 2 places to deal with so pretty much both only get **** done 1/2 *** lawns ,maint ,appliances, your toy maint ,all your old time and money you had to deal with stuff now goes in to maintaining another property .
Not to mention the commute every week .
That said it is great to have a place to go and just do what you want when you want not have to go out and ride your sled or atv just because you are there in a rental you can always wait till the weather is better etc .
Again I would hold off .it is crazy out there and you will not be going to look at a cabin you like . I sold mine with in 4 hrs of listing site unseen for about 30k more than I thought it would go for . My neighbor sold there's also site unseen new owner saw it first time during septic inspection . Only real option now is to pick your town get the most popular realtor who gets the most listings so they can let you know when 1 is hitting the market and have agreement ready to go when it is listed . Sad reality .
Prob better off finding a lot tossing septic and well in put a camper on it till lumber tanks and build what you want rather than someone else's 30 yrs of 1/2 *** maint.
And let's not forget some yrs you are the jack pot for snow and tge next yr you are paying to heat your place and paying to rent a cabin where there is snow . But hopefully you had enough guys at your place in the banner yr that you got a bed in there place in the jack pot aria for snow

Last edited:

rv245

Lots of great info and here's my 5 cents (adjusted for the current conditions).

IMO, I would try to hold out the best you can under the current conditions. I have a place up north. I've gotten 2 solicitations so far in the mail from people looking for someone interested in selling. No way we are....

Now, on to my suggestions. First off.... look at areas where you and your wife might possibly be interested in having a place. One thing that we wanted was to be close to a good size city, but still far enough away. Our place is 18 miles from Gaylord, Michigan. We have the convenience of a Walmart, Meijers, Lowes, Home Depot, other places when we need things, but the main thing is a hospital. Also if you want to go out for the night to say a movie or bar they are available.

Once you narrow it down to a few areas, put in a day or two to just go out to them and drive around checking things out. Not saying that a realtor is bad, but stop in somewhere to have say lunch, talk to the people in the area and see if they might know of places for sale. When we was looking, I would get on real estate sites, jot down listings that I was interested in, my wife and I would then make a day trip out of it. We wanted to be around a 3 hour drive one way. We drove around to a bunch of different areas, but wanted to stay close to Gaylord for the reasons I mentioned above. The funny thing is it seemed as if when we headed back downstate our final drive was around a certain lake. We looked at so many places that it got to the point that we just wanted something and be done with it. One day I found a listing in the area and jotted down a couple more to look at. Headed up the next day to meet the realtor. The place wasn't really want we wanted but it was doable and could be really nice once we put some time and $$ into it. So we went though it, spending about 3 hours there. We decided to make an offer, that's when the realtor threw a curve ball, they already had an offer on it, why couldn't they of told us beforehand. Not wanting to get into a bidding war, we decided to not make one. We left and drove around the lake getting ready to head back downstate. There was this house (6 year old build) that looked vacant every time we when though there. I don't know how it happened but on this day the elderly people across the street was out. We stopped and asked about the house. They gave us the owners name and number. We called him and it just happened that he lived on the lake. He came over showed us the house. We fell in love with it as soon as we saw the rest of the house. I fell in love with the garage....LOL We decided right then and there we wanted to buy it. He gave us a price and we accepted. But when the bank had it appraised it came 6k under what he asked. He said that he would accept that and it's ours, been going on 10 years now. We're no on the lake, but I can look right out my big living room window and see it. Best part is we are between 2 roads, one of which is maintained by the county so it's always plowed during the winter, also less property taxes. We made friends with the people across the street and use their waterfront property for our dock and Sparks.

I guess I should say keep looking, you and your wife will know when you find that perfect place. Just don't jump at getting a place to have one and don't go overboard with the price.

Last edited:

buddah2

I wasn't going to get into this thread but changed my mind...all I have to offer is our experience even though it is more than 2 decades old...at that time we lived in central OH...we both fell in love with the U.P. but the 10 or 11 hr drive was somewhat off-putting...so we looked around the upper lower for several days and decided "Screw it, let's just drive the extra 4 hrs"...that was in the later part of the 90s and as they say, the rest is history...have lived here full-time for 20 yrs now...I can't begin to count the number of 1200 mile round trips we did over the 5 yrs before I retired...

We did rent our place out the first couple of yrs while we got "settled" in as it were...we eventually decided it wasn't worth the extra effort to put all the "good stuff" away every time we left especially if we were only there for a long weekend...that and having to pay a handyman to keep the drive open and roof raked in the winter but that comes with the territory...overall, we'd do it again in a heartbeat...

ezra

the time between the end of snowmobiling and ice out is the worst time of year imo
very little to do then rec wise
could make some maple syrup if u got some trees
or catch some pan fish if u want to venture out on the melting ice
every year is different tho

I dont know imho that is some of the best sxs weather imho . Most of tge forest roads and trails are packed snow and dirt mix zero dust . No one out but you

srt20

I dont know imho that is some of the best sxs weather imho . Most of tge forest roads and trails are packed snow and dirt mix zero dust . No one out but you

Almost all trails and routes in WI are closed at that time.

SledTL

To be honest with air bnb in existence these days its really hard to justify buying a cabin. Before you were confined to resorts or lodges and now you can find a place on almost every lake imagineable. Travel to snow when needed, and if you really love a lake or know it well you can continue going back to that same area if its different than where you ride sleds. Some of you guys are nuts for putting the time and mileage on your vehicles with 6+hr drives every weekend.

parker

2) How to go about “seeing” properties when you are 4+ hours away? I assume a good realtor is critical, but again, not sure where to even start with one. We can't take a trip up there each time we think we see something we might like.

Unfortunately there is No Such Thing as A Good Realtor = Unicorn. Same Category as Car Salesman.

Don't trust anything they say. You Must Do your own Due Diligence. Realtors have No Accountability, they don't get paid until after the Closing. They will tell you anything to get you to the closing. They don't care who or if Financial lives are ruined. It's a Filthy Unregulated Industry.

Fact = A large percentage of properties with Cabins, or Houses in the North have vastly been Cobbled together without Permits, Codes, Inspections or Regulation Adherence. You buy one of those and you will be the one paying for all the mistakes, and shortcuts.

This lends itself to the Wise Buyer putting in a lot of Windshield time, which is necessary to make a smart decision to protect their Financial Well Being.

Last edited: