Input on M series on the trail

mezz

Hmmmm, M series on the trail.....Why??? Kidding aside, really, why??? They are fine, bidge bumps well, but will push in the corners, but, who cares, it's not a trail sled. Seriously, they will run fine on the trail, but really, who cares, it's not a trail sled.
happy.gif
-Mezz

m8man

As Mezz said above, it is fine and will push in the corners..If you are use to a sled that can slide on the exit of a corner if you're hard on the throttle forget it.. M=no slide, or not much..I have an '08 M8 and it's fine..I don't know why you'd want to ride one on the trail unless you're getting to play areas..I don't ride a whole bunch on the trails but when I do it's fine..

m8man

borderstaff

I run my 153 2 1/4" on the trails in MN as long as there's enough snow to lube the hyfax. I almost always have the scratchers down to help kick up extra snow. Why do I? Because I only have one sled and it works O.K. Yes, it pushes in the corners and I'm not the fastest in the twisties with it, but a ride with some guys who won't go out west and I'm hoping that one of these days when they are following me and catch a large chunk of ice in the noggin it beats some sense into them and they decide to ride out west. Well, that's the hope at least.

scottd

I think mine does fine driving wise and I just run scratchers down on the trail. The rear suspension on an M will beat you up on a rough trail though. XP wins there from my experience.

^^^borderstaff^^^ "Large Ice Chuck Scenario" that's funny right there. Our group of three longtracks will ride with you out west!

mrarctic, like the other are saying, their not trail sleds and aren't really made for that. You should really consider what your riding style is. How much time will be spent where. If your looking for the better trail set up look at the cross over machines. Then when you want to play off in the woods/fields you'll have a longer track for less stuckablity.

Firecatguy

Well my take is a little different.

I went from firecats to the m-sled and I have no problem on the trails, the little that I do ride the trails its usually with my friends who are only trail guys and I'm still out front...LOL
the only problem I had was I disintegrated a belt on one trip and that was with good venting..
but it look like my clutches might have not been aligned.
if you are buying this sled to trail ride I would maybe look at something different.

the float skid does take the whooped trails and eat it up, like I said it doesn't seem to have any issues that I noticed..

zrjes

I am on my 3rd M series, and from my 2 previous sleds I think they handle pretty well on the trail. That's including my M7 with a 162 and an Attack 20 track. Now I prefer to ride the wife's M6 141 on the trails, but the 162 did just fine. I do a fair share of trail riding on these sleds early in the season playing trail guide and just waiting for the deeper stuff to setup... No complaints.

Before these sled I had a Zr600 with a bunch of mods and a 1.25 track. That sled was 75% trail and 25% off trail. I actually think the M6 141 is a better trail sled compared to that one!

As for suspension:

I do prefer the fox float rear suspension over the standard torsion springs. I do like the Zero-pro coil overs, but maybe I would give a slight edge to the floats for weight savings.

Stack

gsxgirl

dcsnomo - unbeatable deal on a M1000 153? Buy it and then resell it! All that extra track is really lost on the trails. It is like buying Maximum Destruction to go Jeepin with your buddies.

Use the extra dough you get from reselling that M1000 to trick out your trail sled.

5slednx

Ken's in Little Chute have 6 or 7 m1000's on the floor, '07 and '08's I believe. $7k or so, not going to get much more than that for them. These are brand new non currents.

mrarctic

ya i was only wondering because sometime we ride 30 to 40 miles on trail to get to some of the spots we play at. for that short of a distance is it a good choice or just buy a crossfire

mrarctic

Hey thanks guys i just wanted somee imput from guys that have riden these sleds i think ill be happy with the M

scottd

People make a bigger deal out of mountain sleds on the trail than they need to. In my opinion even if you ride 50 miles in the morning in order to ride for hours in the bush and then have to ride the 50 miles back on the trail, assuming you are riding somewhere with real amounts of snow, i'd rather have the mountain sled. Even if you go on an annual trail ride over a decent distance with people but otherwise always ride off trail, then i'd still want the mountain sled. They might be a little slower on the trail but I think if you ride responsible enough that you could meet someone in the center of every corner and not have a problem then you are going slow enough the difference is small. Now if I knew the trail was blocked off going the other direction (like many seem to act like is the case) then yes I could probably cover ground much faster on a trail sled.

All that said you should be honest with yourself in what kind of riding you do. If your idea of off trail riding rarely takes you more than 100 yards off a groomed trail and even then it's on some well travelled powerline then I would not buy a machine with a tall lug. The biggest pain of trail riding a mountain sled to me is putting scratchers up and down, always thinking I need to be off the side getting fresh snow in, and things like that. The cornering I do not even think about. If you do not "really" ride off trail the majority of the time then get something else. Now a days there are deals all over the place for leftover off and on trail machines.

zrjes

Actually the only time I have ever used scratchers was last season the first week of April 09 on my M7 162. Other than that I have not really seen the need to use them. Just depends

Stack

S

skylar

Well, down here in big snow country, south central Wi, I trail ride my 07 RMK 155"x2.4" whenever there is enough snow to do it. The last two winters have been great. Now, will I take it out with only 6" and with no base on the trail yet? No I won't, but get a good base established, and I will ride. I think on one ride last year my brother and I put on 150 or so miles that day. I drop the scratchers and go. My sled has over 5200 miles on it, and I have two lugs missing on the track.

Scottd made some very good points, obviously I did not buy my RMK to ride trails with, but I have, and will continue to do so down here, when there is enough snow that is. LOL.