Insurance - Insurance Card Required in WI or MI?

marty700

I've just been checking the snowmobile laws published on the DNR websites for both Wisconsin and Michigan and I see no requirement to have insurance. Furthermore, neither state classifies snowmobiles as a "motor vehicle" requiring insurance (and evidence of insurance) as is required for cars, trucks and motorcycles. I have been stuffing insurance cards into five sleds every year for a long time and its getting to be a pain. Does anyone actually know whether we have to carry proof of insurance on our sleds (or on our person) in WI or MI?

oktaneho

Not in WI. It sounds like you've already checked the laws and answered your own questions? It's still not a bad idea to carry them in case you need to exchange info. I keep them in my wallet. Keep a picture of your cards on your phone at the very least.

mezz

There is no law in place for mandated insurance for sleds, atvs, side by sides etc. here in Michigan. Though I would not recommend to anyone NOT to have coverage protecting themselves &/or their investment. If you decide to insure them, good move, but, you do not need to carry proof of it with you. -Mezz

maddogg

My insurance carrier used to send my cards - not anymore. I always thought they were handy even though I never needed to use one.

marty700

Thank you folks - all good points. I'm not even for a moment thinking about not having insurance - especially in Michigan, since without liability insurance coverage you don't get the protection of the no-fault statute (if you hit a parked car or other motor vehicle). But as maddog said, the insurance companies don't provide insurance cards anymore - so, if you want a card, you have to print one up. For me, that's five cards for five different sleds and its getting to be a major pain.

dfattack

Thank you folks - all good points. I'm not even for a moment thinking about not having insurance - especially in Michigan, since without liability insurance coverage you don't get the protection of the no-fault statute (if you hit a parked car or other motor vehicle). But as maddog said, the insurance companies don't provide insurance cards anymore - so, if you want a card, you have to print one up. For me, that's five cards for five different sleds and its getting to be a major pain.

State Farm still issues cards. I have them in each of my sleds. Thank God I never needed to use them.

Ramsey

State Farm still issues cards. I have them in each of my sleds. Thank God I never needed to use them.

We recently changed insurance companies for our homeowners and autos to Statefarm, actually saved quite a bit by doing so. Insurance for my snowmobile on the other hand, was more than double what the former company cost. I'm currently shopping.......

dfattack

We recently changed insurance companies for our homeowners and autos to Statefarm, actually saved quite a bit by doing so. Insurance for my snowmobile on the other hand, was more than double what the former company cost. I'm currently shopping.......

I'm paying $165/year. You getting a better deal?

DaveZRT800

Currently I have a 2017 ZR 6000 and a new 2019 ZR 9000. I pay $700 a year with Liberty Mutual. I have no tickets, no accidents, and almost an eight hundred credit score. Been shopping around for 6 months, and can't do any better. Not sure what the problem is.

1fujifilm

Currently I have a 2017 ZR 6000 and a new 2019 ZR 9000. I pay $700 a year with Liberty Mutual. I have no tickets, no accidents, and almost an eight hundred credit score. Been shopping around for 6 months, and can't do any better. Not sure what the problem is.

I have Liberty Mutual also but they always transfer me to their subsidiary "Safeco" for my sled insurance.
Last year for a 2019 850 Gade was $219 a year. The year before for a 2018 was only $129. Brutal increase, can't wait to see what the 2020 850 Gade X will be when I insure it the day prior to riding in the U.P.

Bear

ezra

people are saying you don't get cards any more .
I have alstate and still get them every 6 mo .
now I pretty much only cary them in my cars and then only when I remember to bring them out with me . cops can look up your coverage with out your card . at least that is what I have been told the few times I got poped for speed and did not have a current card with.

speaking of speed . did you guys know if you get 2 sled speeds in MN in a season you need to take snomobile safety class or at least have a bud who teaches said class lol in order to restore your riding privileges? found this out this weekend when my bud got popped he did not get the tix just a warning but the cop told us this fun fact.
in 35 yrs I have only gotten 2 on sled and both were in metro on a lake in a 20mph trap zone

Last edited:

old abe

I have Liberty Mutual also but they always transfer me to their subsidiary "Safeco" for my sled insurance.
Last year for a 2019 850 Gade was $219 a year. The year before for a 2018 was only $129. Brutal increase, can't wait to see what the 2020 850 Gade X will be when I insure it the day prior to riding in the U.P.

Bear

It's just the cost of doing business fuji, just the cost of doing business! Enjoy! Kinda like the bitchin about trail permit costs, eh! That's why there's a weed thread!

dfattack

I was paying $127 with former company, I could live with $165, what company is that through? Is that a dedicated snowmobile policy or is it piggy backed on another policy? Thanks

State Farm. No, it’s own policy. I have numerous toys and they are all the same or slightly less.

A lot of companies have the cards available on their App. I have American Family for my cars and my current insurance cards are always available on the App. They still send paper cards every renewal period still. So download your carriers App and check. Everyone carries their phone all the time anyway. But to answer the question asked, I only carry liability on snowmobiles and ATV's/UTV's. I have a $1.0 million personal liability policy on my homeowners with a unscheduled RV rider that covers the toys. But there are no cards for that type of policy. Never had to use the coverage nor have I been asked to show proof. I ride mainly Vilas and Onieda but occasionally go to the UP.

chingaste

in wi a side by side does have to have insurance on it if it holds more than 2 people. as my parents had to insure theirs before the dnr would register it

snomoman

If you ride in Illinois make damn sure you’ve got proof of insurance
with you or hefty fines could be in your future