Interesting snowmobile weight test

snowdance

Even though the Arctic Cat gains the least amount of snow weight over the 3 tested, The Polaris still came in 1 pound lighter. Thats because the Polaris is already so much lighter at dry weight.

kraven700

Seems like this would be the most accurate way to compare sled weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLYXyOL3hxM

Yeah, seems like an accurate test, lol

A couple of guys in Arctic Cat shirts running the unbiased "test", lol

Those Arctic Cats must have some magic green teflon coated surfaces to shed approx 40 pounds of snow compared to the others........................................................................................................

Where can I buy some of that Arctic Teflon Spray for my sled ?

srt20

That is obviously a farce. My buddy has a 2013 Pro Rmk and a 2012 Pro Rmk. Both 163". Yeah, not even close to that much ice weight. But all sleds collect ice, and he is going to wrap the tunnels to help cut down on the ice build up. Along with a few other things.

Nice try AC, but its a fail!

ezra

Yeah, seems like an accurate test, lol

A couple of guys in Arctic Cat shirts running the unbiased "test", lol

Those Arctic Cats must have some magic green teflon coated surfaces to shed approx 40 pounds of snow compared to the others........................................................................................................

Where can I buy some of that Arctic Teflon Spray for my sled ?

not Teflon the cat holds the least amount of snow because it has the least amount of raw aluminum almost all the alloy is powder coated. and the the doo runs 2nd in powder coating so that is why #2 .the poo is all raw prob thought the paint would add 2 much weight raw is like a ice magnet. if buying a boondocker it is crazy to buy a not powder coated if it is available.

stealthv

The ProClimb also has the advantage of no cooler in the rear tunnel so no ice build up.

Last edited:

ezra

I think they need to test them with all the clamps braces bumpers plates that u need to put on these things to make them some what durable.
light wont mean much when your bumper fall's off yanking on it to get it un stuck.

kraven700

not Teflon the cat holds the least amount of snow because it has the least amount of raw aluminum almost all the alloy is powder coated. and the the doo runs 2nd in powder coating so that is why #2 .the poo is all raw prob thought the paint would add 2 much weight raw is like a ice magnet. if buying a boondocker it is crazy to buy a not powder coated if it is available.

I could see that as an explanation for a FEW pounds.

But 40 pounds?

That's a tough sell!

ezra

ice is heavy look at the doo and poo tunnel both sides of that tunnel cooler are thick with ice.that is not fake happens to every sled snow melts on the alloy close to cooler then refreeze close and it keeps getting worse the longer u drive and the colder it gets.
same as foot wells and along tunnel where coolant runs back.every M I have owned cakes it on tunnel sides foot wells and behind seat.that is 1 of the reasons they dumped the rear cooler.
I thought the whole thing was off by at least 35 pounds or more they must have ridden some hard pack to the tree when riding pow like they are and u stop have u ever seen a skid as empty as any of the 3? not me even when rolling one over to get unstuck u usually cant even see through the skid with all the snow.

frosty

That was pretty interesting. Fact or fiction, marketing scheme or not, I guarantee you one thing, the other OEM's are kicking themselves for not thinking this up.

I know with my Xfire, riding in the POW she gains weight, alot of weight, that or I'm becoming a big puss as I get older.

Has anyone weighed themselves after putting on your gear? I did after seeing this video the first time. 25#'s extra I weighed with everything on. That was dry.:(

Last edited:

skiroule

Has anyone weighed themselves after putting on your gear? I did after seeing this video the first time. 25#'s extra I weighed with everything on. That was dry.:(

With or without garden tools?</SPAN>

I think my jacket fully loaded is 25 lbs alone and I’ve never had the nickname “Slim”. I’ll bet that with a stocked gear bag, optional back pack, accumulated snow/ice, and a double skillet breakfast, the sled and I will crack a full G. </SPAN>Thinking I need to start carrying one of those smaller come-alongs too, which I guess would only add more weight.</SPAN>

I thought it was kind of funny that the only RMK powder shot was following another track – a not so subtle slam it seemed to me.</SPAN>

frosty

With or without garden tools?</SPAN>

I think my jacket fully loaded is 25 lbs alone and I’ve never had the nickname “Slim”. I’ll bet that with a stocked gear bag, optional back pack, accumulated snow/ice, and a double skillet breakfast, the sled and I will crack a full G. </SPAN>Thinking I need to start carrying one of those smaller come-alongs too, which I guess would only add more weight.</SPAN>

I thought it was kind of funny that the only RMK powder shot was following another track – a not so subtle slam it seemed to me.</SPAN>

Yeah, I forgot about the garden tools!

You all seen that too with the RMK. At first I thought I was watching an advertisement for Ski-doo, they showed alot of the Summit over the M.

anonomoose

That was pretty interesting. Fact or fiction, marketing scheme or not, I guarantee you one thing, the other OEM's are kicking themselves for not thinking this up.

Heee...he! You guys need to stop shopping at the lead vest store....or, perhaps that remote control shelf built into your belly needs to be addressed before spending hundreds on polished tunnels and weight saving tracks.

You either go without long johns and backpack, or you give it all up and take the electric wench and 100 feet of rope and be prepared to work up a good sweat when you get these snow yachts stuck around a maple tree! In other words, the ice in the tunnel is the least of your worries....riding skills and a good fitness training session for a month or two before the season starts will be a better investment in time and money.

frosty

riding skills and a good fitness training session for a month or two before the season starts will be a better investment in time and money.

Absolutely right! For me I started back in August to shed 30#'s of extra skillets and cookies to get ready for this riding season.

It worked for me, my buddy last trip said to me, I don't know how you can stand up the entire day riding. I have to give kudos to the Bowflex and a good diet, went from 255 to 220 and need to lose another 20 to reach my riding goal. Maybe next season I'll get there, but feeling great this season riding without the extra that I 've lost.

snowdance

On a side note, anyone tried spraying their tunnels with anything to limit ice buildup that worked?

Dupont makes a snow and ice spray. I've heard to try that. I have the 06' switchback with the famous tunnel ice build up issues. i'm looking for it, but have yet to find. Ace hardware, Blains Fleet Farm, and Lowes are supposed to carry it. I see Amazon.com carries it. Anybody tried it yet?

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/snow_ice_repellent.html