Is there such a thing as too much snow???

snoluver1

John, it was seriously insane in the Snowies this weekend.

They were calling for 4 - 8 inches when we left. Ended up with almost 4 feet in some spots!! We were getting stuck going down hill!

20160116_115207.jpg 20160118_131503.jpg 20160118_144704.jpg 20160118_124754~2.jpg

snoluver1

That last pick was a new axys 155×3" with a highly skilled local at the helm. Even that machine was getting stuck on the slightest incline.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Those pics are phenomenal. Most folks can only dream of that. If they only knew how much work it was, they might change their mind!

-John

stitcher

Long time visitor, first time commenting. Love the site. John you are absolutely correct that those pics are what desktop wallpapers are made of. Also agree that I am a folk that dreams of that way too much, but I also dream that I might be in good enough shape to even last 10 minutes. I'm thinking I have to try it sometime, right?
My wife & I are house shopping (bigger of course) and it reminds me of what we first think when looking at a "dream" house: how much is it going to hurt when I need to put a new roof on it and the wife is thinking how much work it's going to be to clean it (with my help of course - in case my wife is a closet John Dee forum reader).
Keep the pics coming!

snoluver1

Those pics are phenomenal. Most folks can only dream of that. If they only knew how much work it was, they might change their mind!

-John

You hit the nail on the head John. The pictures honestly don't even do it justice. Just to put it in some sort of perspective, we started our last day ( the deepest day) after eating breakfast at about 10:00 am. We rode all day long and got back to the cabin around 4:30 pm. We had clicked off just under 10 miles on our odometers. Approximately 5 of those 10 miles were the trail riding we did from the cabin to the breakfast place!!

20160116_110007.jpg 20160115_162749.jpg 20160115_162812.jpg 20160116_135705.jpg

skiroule

"Insane snow" is the perfection description. Definitely looks like a good time and a pretty good lung workout.

You were owed a trip like this.

C

Cirrus_Driver

I would love to go there and see the country and scenary, but personally I'd only do it if there were groomed trails. I don't get the appeal of driving your sled a few hundred feet, getting stuck, and having to dig out for 45 minutes. To each their own!

timo

them are some cool pics and all but only riding 5 miles all day while spending the entire day digging out sleds don't sound like a fun time to me,,,,but that's just me.
Cool pics anyways,,,,crazy amounts of snow.

timner

Awesome pics! Those 5 miles of off-trail are truly the memories you will never forget! We had similar conditions back in '11 and I still have them rotating as my desktop background! Where did you guys stay?

Here was our 2-3 person cabin at Mountain Meadows. Chris had to shovel a tunnel for all the guests!
MM cabin.jpg

Hoping TOG will be half this good for us next week!

mrbb

HAHA< yes there is a thing of TOO much snow, but tends to only be a issue when it all comes at the same time

but it never seems to last too long!
a problem I bet many of us would love to have more often LOL

snoluver1

Awesome pics! Those 5 miles of off-trail are truly the memories you will never forget! We had similar conditions back in '11 and I still have them rotating as my desktop background! Where did you guys stay?

Here was our 2-3 person cabin at Mountain Meadows. Chris had to shovel a tunnel for all the guests!
Hoping TOG will be half this good for us next week!

We stayed on the west side this time at Ten Mile. Stayed at Chris's many many times. Never had to tunnel down to the cabins though, lol. I remember that year. I think they didn't get the highway open until June. They were also seeding clouds that year. I think it worked! Ha ha.

snoluver1

"Insane snow" is the perfection description. Definitely looks like a good time and a pretty good lung workout.

You were owed a trip like this.

Kelly, this wasn't a vacation, it was a working trip....... sort of. At least thats how I sold it to the wife anyway, lol! My boy got deployed to Kuwait, so I had to make a trip to Ft.Riley KS to pick up his car/personal stuff and bring it home.

"Well Wyoming is practically right next door to Kansas. I might as well bring the sled with me, go riding for a few days and pick up the car on the way back. Don't you see? Its a win/win honey!";)

garyl62

Kelly, this wasn't a vacation, it was a working trip....... sort of. At least thats how I sold it to the wife anyway, lol! My boy got deployed to Kuwait, so I had to make a trip to Ft.Riley KS to pick up his car/personal stuff and bring it home.

"Well Wyoming is practically right next door to Kansas. I might as well bring the sled with me, go riding for a few days and pick up the car on the way back. Don't you see? Its a win/win honey!";)

Great logic! Of course when you start in IL, Kansas is close to WY :) Great pics, but I'd be in the "you're ego's writing checks your body can't cash" category if I tried to do that!

frosty

Just got back last week from Ten Mile, the conditions were almost identical! The 174 was getting stuck! Woke up Monday morning with 12-18" of fresh on the sleds with 3' up top, unbelieveable riding.

snoluver1

Just got back last week from Ten Mile, the conditions were almost identical! The 174 was getting stuck! Woke up Monday morning with 12-18" of fresh on the sleds with 3' up top, unbelieveable riding.

Well, where's the pics Frosty?? If anyone got some good ones, It had to be you!!:)

frosty

Dude.....I was so weighted down with the avy bag, I relied alot on the camera phone and my little nikon pocket camera. I'll post some tonight of the the guys and myself. The guys I went with said this was the best it ever was for 5 days of riding, and it was incredible!