Jan 22, 2024

mezz

A fresh 4" of LES unexpectedly found us on the morning of Saturday Jan 20th. Temps remained in the teens through Sunday with no new snow to speak of (trace). Cloudy today with temp in the 20's. Forecast ahead looks to remain cloudy and we could see some 30's by mid-week to with a chance of some wet snows in the central & eastern UP. We'll see what happens.

lofsfire

Seeing that was the last snow with the incoming weather what are your thoughts on riding Thursday night through Saturday? Lots of pictures online look like it could be ok, not the best but ok to ride... So many reports of doom and gloom. It's Hard to tell what is what...

Any advice for a 9hr drive? and 50 miles of just so-so riding?

mezz

I really can't say with certainty how it will be in that time frame. I will say the traffic here has not been hard hit as yet. What happens in the next few days weather wise is another story all together. Temps are expected to be in the mid thirties by Thur, Fri, Sat & remain cloudy, then cool into the 30 degree range with night temps to start to edge to the 20's through the weekend & hopefully not a lot of snow loss.

lofsfire

Thanks this is what I think I was looking for basically. By chance do you know what the base is looking like? is it a couple of inches? Or are the skis sinking right to the bottom?

Pictures online look like they could be ridable. but it's hard to get a sense of how deep things are...

mezz

Depth will vary based on area, & things are rideable, higher terrain areas would be the best bet for a reasonable base. I would stick to the trail, too sketchy to venture off due to hidden hazards & not adequate cover.

rph130

Don't know where you are headed lotsfire but I drove through Marenisco and jumped on US 2 headed towards Watersmeet yesterday and did not see one sled on the trails. Trail 2 was very thin with weeds and rocks showing. Stopped in Land O Lakes Recreation to buy the wife boots and pick up oil and they have not rented one sled yet this season. Sad. Forecast keeps warming every day with mid 40s next week.

whitedust

Don't know where you are headed lotsfire but I drove through Marenisco and jumped on US 2 headed towards Watersmeet yesterday and did not see one sled on the trails. Trail 2 was very thin with weeds and rocks showing. Stopped in Land O Lakes Recreation to buy the wife boots and pick up oil and they have not rented one sled yet this season. Sad. Forecast keeps warming every day with mid 40s next week.
It’s getting difficult to keep the faith for the WI Northwoods and Watersmeet with this piss ass El Niño pattern setting in for February of ever seeing good trail conditions. 😞

Hoosier

The Midwest weather guy says things are going to change around 2nd week of Feb. and then beyond that. Fingers crossed he's right. He predicted the polar vortex or whatever that was weeks out. Sounds like most of the northwoods will be starting over by then.

dfattack

The Midwest weather guy says things are going to change around 2nd week of Feb. and then beyond that. Fingers crossed he's right. He predicted the polar vortex or whatever that was weeks out. Sounds like most of the northwoods will be starting over by then.
Midwest weather guy? I must have missed something. Who and where is that?

saber1

will be rolling the dice riding eastern UP next Monday thru Thursday Boys can't change there time off so will see what happens less traffic up there than western UP so if we can get 2 days of riding will be happy Pine Stump Area

Hoosier

Yeah he's on FB. I despise FB but I was looking to buy something a couple years ago and wanted to look on their classified so I set up an acct with a fake name, using a email address set up with a fake name, and run in only in firefox container, and I pretty much only use to check snow conditions.

Because it's FB, ignore all the ignorant comments on his posts, but he is very informative and seems to be put thought into his forecasts and tells you what could change. Seems like he knows what he's talking about but time will tell.

Seems like there's some hope for the last 6 weeks of the season - can't get any worse!

lofsfire

Thanks for all the info. I got busy with work yesterday and packing to leave.

Left at 5 Thursday morning got up to Rockland, MI. Rockland to Mass City was rideable... But I don't want to ride it again! It was any 50/50. Some areas you were leaving a great ski impression in the snow. The other areas were dirt and rocks.

Buddy I came up with it was his first time. We both said we would make the most of it and chance it. Might finish up tomorrow run down to Eagle River and St Germain so he can see the snowmobile museum.

Also, pulled two rookie moves today... I came over a snow bank 0.3 miles from the Truck, as I topped it the line I had picked out looked to be a ditch and a culvert. I turn some which made me hit the deep ditch at a weird angle. Luckily no culvert but rolled my sled on its side. All in slow motion... I wasn't hurt and the sled was fine but the way the ditch was filled with snow, it was a hell of a time getting it out. 3 guys did stop a help. They reluctantly took the money I gave them for drinks. We would not have gotten it out with out their help! I was very appreciative!

The other thing was when I was getting dressed in my gear I realized I forgot something. Only one piece of gear... My coat! It was so warm I didn't not even bring a lite jacket with. I had 1 sweatshirt so I rode in just that tonight.. I actually was still sweating so I will probably do the same thing tomorrow...

saber1

Hope things are better in the Eastern UP Its been the worst winter i can remember for sledding And be careful out there.

Last edited: