Jays Resort

Heading up next week and I was wondering how Jays Resort in Watersmeet was. never stayed there.
Just looking for feedback.
thanks

frnash

Heading up next week and I was wondering how Jays Resort in Watersmeet was. never stayed there.
Just looking for feedback.
thanks
Oh that's interesting! As a UP geography nut, that (and the Sylvania Wilderness) are some of the few places I am not personally familiar with.

1. From their web site, (click →) Jay's Resort certainly looks like a nice place.
  2. FYI: If you're looking at Google Maps, the maptag for Jay's Resort is seriously out of place, they are located ≈4 miles west of that maptag, at the red marker, as shown here - click for larger):
Jay's Resort1.JPG
I note that their web site says:
"In the winter snowmobilers have access to the Western U.P. trail system directly from their door …".
I too will be interested in whatever feedback anyone has about this place. (Maybe it's literally a hidden gem?)

Parenthetically, not a criticism, but a random musing on one of my favorite topics — "Fun with English":

Every time I see someone write:
"I was wondering …"
I find myself fighting an urge to ask: "Are you still wondering?"

What's fascinating to me is how often folks use this "past progressive" tense (and I see it most often with folks from other parts of the world, such as India, for example) rather than the much simpler present tense:
"I wonder… "

As an amateur linguist & philologist, I 'wonder' why that is/where that comes from? :indecisiveness:

Attachments

• Jay's Resort12.jpg
    Jay's Resort12.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

J.Glenn

We stayed at Jay’s a couple years ago and had no issues with the place. Our cabin was clean and everything worked as it should (minus the gas fireplace but we weren’t there to sit in front of the fireplace). There is a group of cabins right there around the office area and then there are a couple that are back out around it a little bit.
Attached is a map of the cabins. Cabins 1-7 and 9 are right around the office. Cabins 8 & 10 are away from the office on a side road (you can still see the rest of the cabins/resort from 8 & 10). We stayed in 8.
Jay's map.jpg

The second map is Jay’s location and trail access. Maps was also trying to tell me that it was up by Long Lake, but I know that’s not true, unless they relocated, which I doubt. And based on where Frnash has the red marker placed, that's also where I remember it and showed it on my map. I also tried to illustrate how to navigate the lake to get to the trails. Jay’s is right on the Cisco Chain of Lakes and if you aren’t familiar it can get easy to get your bearings mixed up. We rode right from the resort to trail 13. Following the black line, that will lead you right to trail 13 at a public boat landing which will then take you north to trail 2. Trail 2 also has a little branch off a mile or 2 before the trail 2/13 intersection, where you can ride to Rogers Bar, a very popular place. Going by lake though, once you get about half way following the line (a little past Channel Road for a reference point) you’ll start seeing orange barrels on the lake marking the route up to the boat landing. I believe those barrels will also take you down into Land O’Lakes, WI and to Bent’s Camp.
Jays.JPG

If you aren’t comfortable navigating the lake I believe Thousand Island Lake Road, which is the road Jay’s sits on, is a designated snowmobile route and also trail 13 which appears to meet up with trail 2, just further east than if you rode the lake. Someone more familiar would need to confirm that.

Hope this helps.

frnash

We stayed at Jay’s a couple years ago and had no issues with the place. … Hope this helps.
Great info on a somewhat obscure and ill-mapped location from someone who's been there!
(If I didn't know any better I'd say it probably helps if you've seen and/or photographed it from space!) :wink: