John memories

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of my favorite memories from a ride with John, was back in 2005 maybe, a group of us rode from Twin Lakes to John and Nora's Lake Linden house. We were having a fun, laugh filled day when my buddy's 02 RMK 700 decided to eat a piston. We towed it back to John's, and John said, well, let's tear it down and see what's up. Volunteered the garage and tools, cause that's how he was! We tore it all the way down to the crank, split the case, and got the crank out, John grabs the cases and says "Nora went to bed I think, let's put the cases in the dishwasher for a cycle, make sure they are clean". 🤣😂 I wish smart phones would have been around back then, non stop laughter that whole night! The picture is from another ride in 2006 or 7. 20231128_173338.jpg

hermie

I never got to meet John but I hope this post keeps going. Great way to celebrate John's life. I for one is really missing his snow church. Would love to have his thoughts on how long we may stuck in this crummy weather pattern we are in.

skiroule

There are a couple of favorite memories that come to mind. I first got to know John through his Make-A-Wish event and these are both related.

When Snoluver and I went up to put the finishing touches on the second raffle sled, John insisted on buying us dinner at the Hut-Inn. We had just finished a fabulous prime rib meal (and a couple of cordials) when John got this funny look on his face. He then confessed “I forgot my wallet.” Yeah right. You can imagine the abuse he took but we did pay for his dinner.

The second occurred at the actual event. When I got there, a fellow pulls me aside (turns out it was the husband of Lori from the Wildlife Refuge Cabins) and whispers to me “Lori did an original painting of the raffle sled that is up for auction and John wants this to be a secret but don’t bid on it because he wants to buy it and give it to you,” Not 20 minutes later, John pulls me aside and whispers to me “ Lori did an original painting of the raffle sled that is up for auction but don’t bid on it because I want to buy it and give to you.” So much for secrets. I never let on that I knew about the plot already.

And that is exactly what he did (and it cost him a fair amount of money). That’s just the kind of guy he was.

Last edited:

hermie

Lori is a heck of an artist. All the paintings in there cabins are e very well done. Dave and Lori are wonderful people and an asset to the kee just like John.

attakman

I have several good memories of John...first off he was my meteorologist, when I had the morning show at 97.7 the Wolf in Houghton..we spoke every morning, and when he found out I was a sled head...he took me riding " in the bush".... (somewhere in the past Journals from 2001-2002 there are more pictures)...I could only find one blurry picture (which john took of me)...we were somewhere in the keweenaw (near Phoenix I think?) busting powder on a highline...the snow was deep, and we got stuck many times...he was riding his old xlt with a deeper lug track..we had a blast...here is the picture john took of me..

Attachments

• keweenaw powder.jpg
    keweenaw powder.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 59

jr37

Not exactly sure when, but I've been a follower for 20ish years. Just haven't been active here the last few years. I had the privilege of spending 4 weekends with John during the fall trail signing and brushing from 2010-2013. Also at a couple of the fundraisers. One memory that was funny at the time, was during fall trail work. A few of us were riding along with John in his truck. We got into an area where 4 wheel drive was needed. He kept pushing the button, but the 4wd wouldn't engage. We ended up pushing him through this spot. Shortly there after he realized that he was pushing the button for the rear wheel steering on his truck, not the 4wd. Those were great weekend, lots of fun. Some of which can't be repeated here. We'll miss you, John.