just a few pictures

mrbb

haven't checked this camera in a few weeks, been forgetting about it, have it in a 3 sided building facing out
a lot of apples this yr on my tree's and so far 17 different bears here, only one with cubs, a long time regular here

any how a few pictures for you's of some bears

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 94
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 196.jpg
    196.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 75

mrbb

and a few more for you's
the female with the cubs, yrs ago she was a fighter would never let any other bears be near her when she had cubs , then after about the 3 rd litter of cubs, she slacked off, and this yr, she almost welcomed in a small male all alone
she came a long way over the yrs here with how she handles other bears, getting older I guess effects us all!
this yr she has 3 cubs and , she really seems tired of having cubs every other yr, she seems very worn out and shows up often now without bringing them,. just comes here and takes a break from the kids,as she knows its a safe place here where she can relax,

a few years back with a different set of cubs, she did the opposite, she used bring cubs here and send them up a tree here,
and then leave them here for 2-3 hours for me to baby sit!
was pretty cool watching them cubs sleep up in the tree, some times hanging upside down, holding onto nothing , I was always expecting to see one fall out, amazing how well they can climb a tree and the balance they have

Attachments

• 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 367.jpg
    367.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 376.jpg
    376.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 405.jpg
    405.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 41

mrbb

what you feeding them or is you garbage fair game?

well to be honest, the only one'
s that get food from me will be one's that I am working with, be them injured or orphaned, as the name of the game here is to make them healthy and that means wild
I have NO desire to domesticate any bears, won't do them any good!
that typically is a human emotion, as as such I try to not make them any more adjusted to humans than needed

I do have to admit as yrs pass and many return yr after yr to visit me(they do that)
I do also PLANT a lot of things they do eat on my property, and the forest that surround my place is owned by hunting clubs that also plant a lot of acres of food plots as well, add in all the other naturally growing foods they live off of, and bears have it pretty easy here finding meals!

as for my trash/ trash cans,
well its extremely RARE if one ever gets damaged here, maybe like once a yr IF that,
considering I typically have a bear or a few here daily from about Late March till Jan, its a low occurrence deal!

I also have them on my deck extremely often and in all my yrs here, never once have they bothered by grills
heck cannot tell you how many times I was cooking on a grill and had a bear on deck with me, and never even looked twice at the grill!
I have well trained bears I guess!, or maybe they just respect me more than some others??
I do know injured bears show up here on there own anymore, they learned its as safe place and help is here!

one of the things many folks DON"T know about bears is, they keep track of each other, they follow each other at times to see where there been finding food or safety, or??
and as such, its also why I get lots of new bears every yr

I have one bear trail that I have been seeing bear use for 40 yrs now, they use it to get from forested area's to down in valleys where farm fields are(about a 3+ mile hike)

but it gets used by tons of bears every yr, with many making the detour to my backyard to inspect where other bears have been
again keeping tabs on each other!

mrbb

mrbb, "The Bearman of Beartown, PA"? I'm waiting to see you post a video like this. See: https://youtu.be/9DdJhNlM7ao" target="_blank">https://youtu.be/9DdJhNlM7ao

well I don't do youtube or really do video's

I am not a very tech savoy person, my phone typically only gets used for making calls, and I don't carry it much to be honest!
so don;'t have the means to make video's ! Once in a while i will make one for a friend or likes but not very often
just like taking pictures, don't take many either, if it wasn't for trail camera's, I most likely would have what I have now LOL

BUT if I wanted to make a video like the one you posted I am sure I could
but I wouldn;t
I don't feel it does the bears here any good to do that with them, My goal with them is to keep them wild as I can ,
its NOT easy at times as when injured or just super small and young, you have to handle them some,
so, I DO have bears that I can handle if I wanted to, but I keep it as little hands on as possible, so they have the best chance of making it on there own in the wild

if I was working with caged bears that will never return to the wild, it would be a different story

but the bears in the pic's I post are 100% wild bears, not growing up in captivity or meant for that life!

I have been blessed with the things I have been able to do with them and experiences I have over the yrs, many woudn;t believe me if I told them!

I will add this, Over the yrs I have had a few bears inside my house, that if I wanted too, I could have made into pets real easy! HAHA!
but again, that is NOT a goal of mine at all, even if at times I think I would really enjoy it,. it just wouldn;t do them any good, so I don't! it would be selfish of me to do so IMO!

many of the bears I have helped along here over the yrs, some 16+ yrs old now and when ever there in my area they will stop by and visit me, some I don;'t see for a yr or two, and they still react to me as if they never left, they have just amazing memories, and they do a LOT with it by scent, knowing who I am and all!

again, I am very lucky IMO< I learned a lot about bears from some of the best best bear biologists in the world , its been a fascinating never ending learning experience for me!

mrbb

a little more FYI for anyone that cares about this stuff
I also have lots of other critters here, and most also have NO fear of me, and couldnt; tell you how many other things I helped get by from being orphaned to injured, be it raccoons, skunks, deer, and so many other critters over the yrs
some days I walk about my place and I really laugh out loud, as so many critters here some days and not a one will run from me, I can walk up to most and they don't even look at me
I have bears , deer, rabbits and so on
I can be riding a lawn mower about and they won't move I can mow around them if there laying down!
its almost insulting at times folks LOL

but I live in a rather remote place, not much to brother them, spend a lot of time outside with them, and they just gave up on running away from me I think, that or ???

cannot explain it completely

as example
last night sitting on my deck, I had a mother raccoon here with 3 young one's, they came up on deck, looking for any dropped bird seeds
spent some time eating what they could find, me sitting 5 ft away, not scared of me at all??

well, before long mom and 2 of them young one's left,
watched them leave the yards, was like HEY you forgot one there mom??

but she kept going, little guy left on deck with me??
after a few minutes it realized it was left behind

and then the little guy cam over to me and sat next to me for 2 hours till its mom came back for it?

again, critters seem to always like me, not fear me??
OH well, wasn't a bad way to kill some time
raccoons are cute when there small
NOT so much when adults IMO
and I DON"T trust them adult coons as much as I do bears , I find raccoons have a pretty large CRAZY streak in them at times? HAHA!
they go from zero to crazy really fast!

frnash

well I don't do youtube or really do video's … BUT if I wanted to make a video like the one you posted I am sure I could but I wouldn't — I don't feel it does the bears here any good to do that with them, My goal with them is to keep them wild as I can …
Well I was really just kidding, but of course every time I see the multitude of bears in your yard I can't help but think of Sulo Karjalainen, the Bearman of Finland. I am completely sure that you could easily be his equal, as "The Bearman of Beartown, PA", and I'm equally sure that you would not. Not ever. — I completely understand and respect your goal of keeping them as wild as you can. I am 100% in agreement with that. — Growing up (spending every summer) on my grandparents' dairy farm homestead in Bruce Crossing, MI I learned respect for the wild critters in the neighborhood. Yes my uncles were subsistence hunters, but with great respect for mother nature's critters. Maybe it wasn't bears so much, but many's the time Uncle Frank and I walked up to the north end of Larson road, and along the two-track then 'single-track' then deer trail in da bush further beyond. On each such trip, any number of wild birds would routinely fly up and fearlessly perch on Uncle Frank's shoulder, and eat from his hand.

mrbb

Well I was really just kidding, but of course every time I see the multitude of bears in your yard I can't help but think of Sulo Karjalainen, the Bearman of Finland. I am completely sure that you could easily be his equal, as "The Bearman of Beartown, PA", and I'm equally sure that you would not. Not ever. — I completely understand and respect your goal of keeping them as wild as you can. I am 100% in agreement with that. — Growing up (spending every summer) on my grandparents' dairy farm homestead in Bruce Crossing, MI I learned respect for the wild critters in the neighborhood. Yes my uncles were subsistence hunters, but with great respect for mother nature's critters. Maybe it wasn't bears so much, but many's the time Uncle Frank and I walked up to the north end of Larson road, and along the two-track then 'single-track' then deer trail in da bush further beyond. On each such trip, any number of wild birds would routinely fly up and fearlessly perch on Uncle Frank's shoulder, and eat from his hand.
<br>
 wild animals are smarter than many people give them credit for<br>they learn how to co exist with humans, I think better than us humans learn to coexist with them!<br><br> I always used to joke and say just think how smart our pet dogs are, as almost ALL of them learn to understand the language we talk to them in, they l;earn and KNOW words  instantly, and know exactly what they mean, not a guess<br> and then you have us humans, who after living with dogs as long as we have, still have NO clue what there barking at us??<br> we still are guessing at what there saying! HAHA!<br><br>
<br>

mrbb

if you like to see bears with humans, and how gentle they can be, when raised in captivity, this place has some serious LARGE bears that are about as easy going as they can be towards there care givers! some of the videos they have are just amazing to watch the interactions,
I have a little time spent with grizzlies bears(also called brown bears same species pending location determines there name)

but compared to black bears these they have dwarf even my largest males I have had here, and I has a few closing in on the 800 lb mark

but when your next to a 1500+ lbs bear 800 lbs ones seem small ! imagine that HAHA!

here is one from a few yrs ago, talk about a Giant teddy bear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmeMk0RoNE

this[/URL] bear passed away a few yrs back now, but he was a heck of a BIG bear and about as friendly to his caregivers as any pet could be,
I always feel bears have NO clue there true size, as in there heads its as if there always small, not having a mirror to see things, just eye's to look out of!

well that is till mating season and them, some males think there a LOT bigger than they are HAHA!

but you can see many great videos here on there channel if you care to look, they also have more than bears and there NOT that far from many of you members here, being in NY!
many wiouldn;t think of big brown/grizzly bears in NY I bet!!

there name and a link to there web site and there yuoutube channel

Orphaned Wildlife Center

http://www.orphanedwildlife.org/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX3uZBKoHvWqJAbxWDHFsA

euphoric1

mrbb, how cool is that!! you are very lucky, those pictures are so cool!! do you live in a sparsely populated area or are these bears venturing into town?

mrbb

mrbb, how cool is that!! you are very lucky, those pictures are so cool!! do you live in a sparsely populated area or are these bears venturing into town?
<br>I live in a  rather remote section,  I am more or less in the middle of about 4000+ acres of land, <br>  My town is 1 road, and a dead end, and has about 30 homes,  so,  yes bears are in OUR town,  and once in a  while will venture off into other small towns near by, and like any place these days, once in a  while a bear will venture into a larger town and make the local TV news and local papers!(and YES a few times they been bears that come to my place too LOL, I have helped trap and relocate them, to make  people happy, <br>typically the bears show back up later on any how,(we have moved some up to a 150 miles away only to have them back a few weeks later) but moving them seems to make folks happy, so the state game dept does so to keep the peace between both bears and people best they can!<br>People are very easy to forget the FACT< that bears lived in many places there being forced out of due to human expansion that is happening so many places now a days! so more and more encounters will happen!<br><br>However, MY area  is rather remote for things, but due to human expansion, there are very few places that bears don't encounter humans on a much more regular basis!(average black bear has about a 20 square mile home range, so NOT many laces left that size that DON"T have people living in anymore in MOST states)<br>Bears have also found, that HUMANS are easy source's of food,which can DRAW them, as bears follow there noses to survive!<br>and worse yet maybe,  Typically when one does show up in a  persons yard or a town they get all excited and  it seems to either cause Folks to FEAR them making lots of calls to law enforcement/game dept. , or worse yet, TRY and feed them to get pictures/video's, (this is a main reason many bears learn humans are sources of food, folks START to feed them thinking its COOL or?? to see a bear and FEED a bear, and the bear returns again and again,having been taught people feed me mind sets! , BUT what typically happens here is, the HUMANS that found it so cool and fun to feed a bear, the FUN wears off, and they STOP feeding bear, and well, bear doesn't know WHY< and some will try and SELF feed , be it raid there trash, break in to homes and so, and these people will be the first one's to complain and BLAME the bear! when it was THEM that caused the problems there having,  and in the  way things work out, the bear is the one that suffers, due to having been taught a BAD habit !<br><br>so, again,  I am rather  lucky here , almost all residents here,  and I say ALMOST,   are very welcome to bears and wildlife, heck most of us here go thru great costs and work to plant and grow our lands to be a haven for wildlife so we can enjoy seeing them year round,<br> and have learned how to co exist with them! if not strive with them!<br> its not hard if one is willing to take needed extra steps to get along.<br><br> and I say MOST residents here, as of the past few yrs, several of the long time residents have passed away, and seems the new owners of a few places here are NOT very wildlife friendly folks,<br><br>I will never ever understand why anyone that would MOVE into the woods more or less, would  and some how expect there to NOT be any wild life, there!<br> but a  few of the newest residents here are on the phone with local game warden regularly complaining about deer, rabbits squirrels and yes BEARS, pretty much any wild animal MINUS there dog! <br>being in there yard and town, seems they expect wildlife to NOT live where they do,   <br>as it seems they wanted to live in the woods that don't have  any wildlife and are finding out that isn;t the case!<br><br>SO< things here are changing sadly <br>as they say I guess, NEW neighbors can be GOOD or BAD!HAHA!<br><br><br>

mrbb

who would win in a fight a 200# bear vs 200# st Bernard.?

well I have a had several friends that have or owned ST Bernard's
so I have experience with them(both wet and dry mouth one's too, and I prefer the dry mouth one's LOL)

BUT due to the fact a bear has more weapons, and I honestly feel they have more strength per lb, and flexibility more than a dog does!
in MOST cases a bear would win

but as we all know, in a fight anything can happen at times!

HOWEVER< another thing to consider is, 99.9% of the time, if the option is there a bear will run from a dog and climb a tree, not wishing to find out!

a running away BEAR exposes there hind end to get injured, so there are many sides to things if being honest !

on a side note
I have seen small bears here flip HEAVY things over with ease, weighting WAY more than they did, and made it look easy!
, that I coudl not put back without using equipment
there strength is crazy at times for what they can do!

snomoman

Hey Mrbb,
Thank you for this nice uplifting thread, it’s always nice to read about another happy bear story from you, keep it up, it put me in a nice mood when I read it, ever think of writing a book? I think you’ve got a good start on this website..haha

mrbb

Hey Mrbb,<br>
Thank you for this nice uplifting thread, it’s always nice to read about another happy bear story from you, keep it up, it put me in a nice mood when I read it, ever think of writing a book? I think you’ve got a good start on this website..haha
<br>
I'm glad you enjoy things<br> and yes I know I have a habit of long posts<br> sorry to those that don't like them, I just try and add a good amount of info when i can on things I feel many don't get to experience!<br><br>as for writing a book, over the yrs I have had many that asked me to on a  few things<br>anonymous<br> but its not something that interest me, I try and live a rather private life never wanted fame or attention and like  being some what anonymous on a forum where we really don't use real names and or give out exact locations<br><br>also I do have many friends that have written books on bears ,(many have been on/in TV and movies as well) both in/on the  educational side as well as  for enjoyment!<br><br><br><br> 

m8man

I love this thread. I live in the sticks too and I’ve only seen bears in the next 40 over never my place,
Keep up the pics- just plain nice to read and see

M8man

wiviperman

MRBB, thanks for sharing the pictures of the bears, really cool to see. Something great to look at in our "off season" on here!